PDA

View Full Version : Considering a 1911 in 9mm

pennys dad
06-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi

I am considering a 1911 in 9mm, I am trying to keep my calibers to a minimum so I dont have to buy many different rounds of ammo. I am also going to start shooting the Steel madness shoots. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have been to a few stores and havent seen one but so I know I will need to order one. I am looking for a full size 1911 in 9mm with single stack mag's.

Blackhawk556
06-13-2010, 1:34 AM
what about this????

I've wanted this for a while but buds never has these in stock :(

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/197/products_id/43761

X-caliber
06-13-2010, 2:21 AM
I have a kimber team match II in .45 acp, been a great gun. I know they make it in a 9mm as well...if it is anything like my .45 then it is worth it!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/1002/products_id/411536161

matrix056
06-13-2010, 2:32 AM
Blasphemy!

Jonathan Doe
06-13-2010, 6:56 AM
I am thinking about selling mine. Let me know if you are interested.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/Guns/9mm1911.jpg

SCB5794
06-13-2010, 7:14 AM
BUY IT^ You know you want it, your wife called and she told me you could have it!!!!!!!!

pennys dad
06-13-2010, 9:59 AM
Topgun7 I just sent you a pm, oh and yes my wife did just call but she was taking abt buying her a new car was that code? Hahahaha

El Gato
06-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Excellant Idea..
I bought a springer target loaded stainless and loved it so much I bought an identical one...!

threw the stupid guide rod in the box and put it in the garage where it couldn't contaminate the other guns...:D

put standard guide rod/sping plug in both guns...
fitted one gun with a short trigger for my wife...

the springfield magazines are good feeders ... buy a bunch on their mag program...springer deals whatever they call it... very good buy...

C.W.M.V.
06-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Wait a minute, isn't a 9mm 1911 kinda like a chick with "outdoor plumbing"? If you catch my drift.....
I kid I kid, love the Springfield micro 1911 in 9mm.

X-caliber
06-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi

I am considering a 1911 in 9mm, I am trying to keep my calibers to a minimum so I dont have to buy many different rounds of ammo.

Here's an idea....sell all your 9mm guns and buy all .45s (including 1911s) :43:

Problem solved.

Millions-Knives
06-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Was it Black Majik that picked up a Kimber Target 9mm?
He did a short write up on it if you look for it if I remember correctly.

You might want to shoot him a PM and get his story.

pennys dad
06-13-2010, 1:51 PM
Wait a minute, isn't a 9mm 1911 kinda like a chick with "outdoor plumbing"? If you catch my drift.....
I kid I kid, love the Springfield micro 1911 in 9mm.

Isnt a chick with outdoor plumbing really a dude with man boobs? :eek: hahahaha ;)

C.W.M.V.
06-13-2010, 1:56 PM
Isnt a chick with outdoor plumbing really a dude with man boobs? :eek: hahahaha ;)

either way, wrong is wrong!

pennys dad
06-13-2010, 1:59 PM

good info, will look

DaveFJ80
06-13-2010, 2:03 PM
I'm working with my dad right now (now South Dakota resident, former CA LEO) to pick =up a RIA 1911 9mm Tactical model for me so we can do an intrafamily transfer. Only $415 for the gun, plus $60 transfer & DROS fee when he brings it over the next time he visits. Lots of good reviews over on the 1911 forums about it. I'm sure it'll eventually get onto the CA roster, like the other RIA 1911's, but no telling when that'll be.

Otherwise, I've shot the SA Loaded 1911 9mm and it was nice, but almost double the price of the RIA.

C.W.M.V.
06-13-2010, 2:48 PM
I'm working with my dad right now (now South Dakota resident, former CA LEO) to pick =up a RIA 1911 9mm Tactical model for me so we can do an intrafamily transfer. Only $415 for the gun, plus $60 transfer & DROS fee when he brings it over the next time he visits. Lots of good reviews over on the 1911 forums about it. I'm sure it'll eventually get onto the CA roster, like the other RIA 1911's, but no telling when that'll be.

Otherwise, I've shot the SA Loaded 1911 9mm and it was nice, but almost double the price of the RIA.

Ya isn't it sad. Take a look at this!
http://e-sarcoinc.com/rockislandfullsize1911a19mmpistol.aspx

surfinguru
06-13-2010, 7:29 PM
Just picked up an SA Loaded 1911 in 9mm myself. In fact, I just put the first 30 or so rounds down range tonight and oh man, I'm in love! I'm doing the Front Sight 4 day defensive handgun class right now with my M&P and man, I wish I would've been using the 1911. Too late to transition to it now, but I'll certainly use it to qualify for the NV CCW along with my M&P on Tuesday. Don't listen to the nay-sayers that a 1911 should only be in .45. Buy what you want/like and shoot the crap out of it!

mike452
06-13-2010, 7:43 PM
You are down to only a Kimber or Springfield on the 1911 9mm on the CA list.

They are both are about $1k in price. I purchased the Kimber after some research. Springfield has ambi-safety and wood grips when Kimber has rubber grips only 1 mag. I can't remember if I changed the grip screw to stainless hex or they came that way. Everything is tight and good and felt exactly the same as my friend's Springfield 9mm.
I like satin finish on the Kimber slide much better. I can see so so finish on MIM small parts such as pins.

Sunday
06-13-2010, 7:49 PM
It is a good idea to keep calibers at a minimum and You will enjoy the 9mm 1911. i have been able to shoot my friends 1911 9mm on several occasions and they are sweet. The sky is the limit on how much you can spend, so good luck shopping.

railroader
06-13-2010, 8:47 PM
Since you want to use the gun to shoot "Steel Madness" have you thought about a cz75sa. I know it's not a 1911 but the ergonomics are great and with a little work you can make it into a really sweet shooting gun. On mine the trigger breaks cleanly at about 3 and a half pounds and has less takeup than my kimber custom which has a great trigger. On the cz I installed a competition hammer, a 15lb. hammer spring, a fully adjustable single action trigger, and removed the firing pin safety so that the trigger can be adjusted correctly. What I have now is a super reliable, accurate 9mm with a great trigger. I also happen to have a bunch of preban 16 round mags which makes for the perfect steel madness gun. You can buy the parts from czcustom for around $100. Mark

smittty
06-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi

I am considering a 1911 in 9mm, I am trying to keep my calibers to a minimum so I dont have to buy many different rounds of ammo. I am also going to start shooting the Steel madness shoots. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have been to a few stores and havent seen one but so I know I will need to order one. I am looking for a full size 1911 in 9mm with single stack mag's.

I was using the same logic but the 9mm recoil just doesn't feel right in this gun.

jyo
06-14-2010, 1:08 AM
A 1911 in 9mm is a great shooting pistol---cheaper ammo, less kick; etc. A Commander length is fine too---you won't be sorry!

Black Majik
06-14-2010, 9:10 AM

You'd be correct, I do have a 9mm 1911 Kimber Stainless Target II.

I swapped out the adjustable target sights for a set of Heinie slant pros. I couldn't stand the Kimber sights. The gun works great now, I did have a few initial hiccups which are very easily remedied. First, the overtravel screw backed out, which caused the gun to double. Readjusting the overtravel screw and loctiting it fixed that problem. Secondly, the Tripp Cobra mags had a few mags which didn't slide lock. Tripp Research knows of this problem and has dogleg followers available to cure this problem. That fixed that one. Third, I did experiece some double feeds. I first attributed it to the larger breechface vs. the Springfield Loaded models. Instead of tuning the extractor by hand, I purchased a Weigand extractor tuner, It seemed the extractor needed more tension than I thought, this thing hasn't malfunctioned ever since.

It's been so enjoyable now that I take it with me to the range every time. One caveat now is that the extractor is a PITA to take out because the extractor hook gets caught on the breechface when I want to take it out to clean it. I do notice this 9mm 1911 gets dirtier in the extractor channel significantly faster than the 45 1911s.

Another thing of interest. I met with Calgunner Voo once to test my Kimber alongside with a Springfield Loaded 9mm he had with him. This was prior to adjusting the extractor with the Weigand extractor tuner. The Kimber ran 100% with him shooting it, and double fed once with me shooting it. It turned out my thumb was not only riding the safety, but also the slide's rearward motion which slowed it down to cause the double feed. Shooting both the Springfield and Kimber side to side was fun, both are fantastic. I did notice the Kimber allows my hand to ride the gun higher. This is only for comfort since both guns are so soft shooting that the negligible difference in muzzle rise is a moot point.

In all honesty, either of the Kimber and Springfield 1911s are fine shooting 1911s. You'll have to weigh the advantage vs. disadvantage of both guns. I do find a significant advantage to the properly sized 9mm breechface of the Springfield guns over the .40 cal breechface of the Kimber guns. That took a little tinkering to figure out.

I also have a Colt Combat Commander 9mm to compare against, which is a lot of fun in and of itself. 9mm 1911 is not like sticking a 6 banger in a Corvette. I know that analogy usually gets brought up.

It is my 2nd MOST fun handgun to shoot, only second to my Baers. The ease of shooting these guns is something you'll have to experience for yourselves. While some cry murder in sticking a 9mm into a 1911, it gives the shooter a familiar platform in a low recoil round. Fast, fast, fast followup shots. Low bore axis, short slack, short reset, and its heavy nature makes it very comfortable to shoot.

Jacob, next Calguns shoot I'll bring mine out for you to try, along with my Colt Combat Commander.

hope this helps.

X-caliber
06-14-2010, 9:28 AM
. 9mm 1911 is not like sticking a 6 banger in a Corvette. I know that analogy usually gets brought up.

To me owning a 9mm 1911 would be like driving a V6 Corvette...still looks nice and gets you from point A to B, but is just missing something.:)

ouch

doc540
06-14-2010, 9:37 AM
A 1911 in 9mm is a great shooting pistol---cheaper ammo, less kick; etc. A Commander length is fine too---you won't be sorry!

this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/1911/Dawson%20Front%20Fiber%20Optic/DSCN0116-1.jpg

wsmc27
06-14-2010, 9:40 AM
hope this helps.

Awesome feedback.

Kinda gets me thinkin' of a 1911 in 9mm now as well.

:)

Black Majik
06-14-2010, 9:41 AM
this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/1911/Dawson%20Front%20Fiber%20Optic/DSCN0116-1.jpg

Agreed!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/Colt4-24-09007.jpg

bigbob76
06-14-2010, 9:44 AM
For me a 9mm 1911 is a range gun that I enjoy shooting. Therefore I would have no reason to get a shorter barrel, I'm not going to carry it so what would be the point? I have the Kimber Stainless Target 9mm and in all likelihood will also get a Springfield Armory 9mm in whatever configuration they offer that fits my use as a range gun. I have clarified my reasons for buying different firearms. There are carry guns (Glock) that require training and practice and there are range guns for relaxed shooting. I don't blur the lines anymore. Way back when DA/SA pistols first became available I had to have all the latest greatest wizz bang crap that came along. Finally just a few years ago I outgrew that. The only DA/SA I have today is a Sig 239 .40 with an additional Bar-Sto 9mm drop in barrel because it came with the gun when I bought it.

pennys dad
06-14-2010, 5:58 PM
This is great feedback and that Colt OMG! Its time to start searching gunbroker, Calguns, my local Pawn Shop who will order whatever can be ordered.

You'd be correct, I do have a 9mm 1911 Kimber Stainless Target II.

I swapped out the adjustable target sights for a set of Heinie slant pros. I couldn't stand the Kimber sights. The gun works great now, I did have a few initial hiccups which are very easily remedied. First, the overtravel screw backed out, which caused the gun to double. Readjusting the overtravel screw and loctiting it fixed that problem. Secondly, the Tripp Cobra mags had a few mags which didn't slide lock. Tripp Research knows of this problem and has dogleg followers available to cure this problem. That fixed that one. Third, I did experiece some double feeds. I first attributed it to the larger breechface vs. the Springfield Loaded models. Instead of tuning the extractor by hand, I purchased a Weigand extractor tuner, It seemed the extractor needed more tension than I thought, this thing hasn't malfunctioned ever since.

It's been so enjoyable now that I take it with me to the range every time. One caveat now is that the extractor is a PITA to take out because the extractor hook gets caught on the breechface when I want to take it out to clean it. I do notice this 9mm 1911 gets dirtier in the extractor channel significantly faster than the 45 1911s.

Another thing of interest. I met with Calgunner Voo once to test my Kimber alongside with a Springfield Loaded 9mm he had with him. This was prior to adjusting the extractor with the Weigand extractor tuner. The Kimber ran 100% with him shooting it, and double fed once with me shooting it. It turned out my thumb was not only riding the safety, but also the slide's rearward motion which slowed it down to cause the double feed. Shooting both the Springfield and Kimber side to side was fun, both are fantastic. I did notice the Kimber allows my hand to ride the gun higher. This is only for comfort since both guns are so soft shooting that the negligible difference in muzzle rise is a moot point.

In all honesty, either of the Kimber and Springfield 1911s are fine shooting 1911s. You'll have to weigh the advantage vs. disadvantage of both guns. I do find a significant advantage to the properly sized 9mm breechface of the Springfield guns over the .40 cal breechface of the Kimber guns. That took a little tinkering to figure out.

I also have a Colt Combat Commander 9mm to compare against, which is a lot of fun in and of itself. 9mm 1911 is not like sticking a 6 banger in a Corvette. I know that analogy usually gets brought up.

It is my 2nd MOST fun handgun to shoot, only second to my Baers. The ease of shooting these guns is something you'll have to experience for yourselves. While some cry murder in sticking a 9mm into a 1911, it gives the shooter a familiar platform in a low recoil round. Fast, fast, fast followup shots. Low bore axis, short slack, short reset, and its heavy nature makes it very comfortable to shoot.

Jacob, next Calguns shoot I'll bring mine out for you to try, along with my Colt Combat Commander.

hope this helps.