PDA

View Full Version : Transfers and DROS fees

Justang
03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm wondering what the exact law is on this. I know it's $25 to DROS. But how much can they charge you for each transfer?

I found this:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.htm#17G

What fees can I charge for handling a Private Party Transfer (PPT)?

If the transaction is a PPT, you are restricted to charging no more than $25.00 in State fees described and $10.00 per firearm for conducting the PPT. For example:

a. For a PPT involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees are $35.00 for the first handgun, and $31.00 for each subsequent handgun.
b. For PPTs involving one or more long guns, the State fees are limited to $25.00 for the whole transaction plus $10.00 dealer fee per firearm transferred.

(PC section 12082)

So it's $35 for the first handgun, and $31 for each additional. I get that, it's easy.

But what about these lowers we've been DROSing. It says $25 for the whole transaction, +$10 for the dealer per fee. So is that $35 per long gun? $25 to the state and $10 to the dealer correct? What about these people charging $45? And I know some places charge a percentage of the gun!?

blacklisted
03-28-2006, 10:49 PM
This has been discussed a lot lately. The FFL can charge whatever they want for a FFL-FLL transfer, but not for a PPT.

Since these are not PPTs, they can charge whatever. 45 dollars is a great price (25 to the state, rest to the dealer).

Justang
03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
This has been discussed a lot lately. The FFL can charge whatever they want for a FFL-FLL transfer, but not for a PPT.

Guess I should have searched... sorry guys.

Kinda stinks. But I guess we have to pay for our toys.