PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to hunt coyotes

Fireguy
06-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I want to start hunting yotes during the C zone deer season. I hear them talking all night long across the highway in a X zone. If I hear them at night can I assume they will be there during the day?

What kind of calls should I get and how long should I call before I move on to another site. I want to use the .300wsm that I won at an RMEF dinner. I put a VX 3.5 to 10 x 50mm leupole on it.

I want to thank everyone in advance for their feed back.

LloydXmas250
06-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Coyotes are up when they want to be. They can be up during the day and night, although mostly night. Use distress calls, like Jack distress or cottontail distress they work pretty well. If you can afford it, buy a foxpro, and you'll be really set. Don't call longer than 15-20 mins. If they don't come in by that point they're not going to and they may have busted you without you knowing. Caliber is fine and scope is fine. Also, make sure you have a license. Some people forget that part it seems.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Contact me for some professional advice.

jawbreaker
06-12-2010, 5:36 AM
perseverencce and time in the feild and looking at maps.

PCH, are you really a pro? do you have sponsors or make money hunting? Just askin

Big Jake
06-12-2010, 7:07 AM

PCH. I want to head out Saturday the 19th. Let me know if you are available!

lewdogg21
06-12-2010, 7:34 AM
perseverencce and time in the feild and looking at maps.

PCH, are you really a pro? do you have sponsors or make money hunting? Just askin

He hunts yotes a lot. The actual professional on this board is soreloser. He is sponsored and makes DVD's that are sold in stores.

Shoot-it
06-12-2010, 10:19 PM

:smilielol5:

toby
06-13-2010, 1:02 PM
If you are going to hunt yotes during deer season you better have a deer tag on hand for that area. Game Wardens in this state can be reall *****e$ and it's not a good thing. it's your word against theirs on what you are really doing.

Bluejay
06-13-2010, 1:27 PM
This post is not meant to be inflammatory.

What is the point of hunting coyotes? Obviously, they're food, right? Is this purely 'sport' hunting?

toby
06-13-2010, 1:35 PM
Bluejay Coyotes and other predators have to be kept in check with nature or the balance of the other animals in their territory, they can devistate the population of Rabbits, Quail,Chukars, Pheasants,Doves, Squirrels, Tortisous and even Deer not to mention livestock. on the eating them part NO! so you could look at it as sport hunting.

Shoot-it
06-13-2010, 2:29 PM

What is the point of hunting coyotes? Obviously, they're food, right? Is this purely 'sport' hunting?

yes pretty much just the sport of it and some of it is from damage they do to sprinkler and drip systems they like to chew on them.It is a challenge to call them in to not easy they are smart,

CavTrooper
06-13-2010, 3:28 PM

Not for food, not for depredation, not for any other reason then its legal and you will never kill enough coyotes to make a dent in the population.

lokote
06-13-2010, 3:49 PM
I'm more of a deer hunter but yote hunting is also pretty exciting. I found that my Marlin 925m in .22 magnum does ok. Other calibers i tried were .223 and .308, they were both ok but .22 mag is cheap and my marlin is pretty damn accurate.

Black Majik
06-13-2010, 3:53 PM

Because it is fun.

Fireguy
06-13-2010, 10:54 PM
The yotes are playing hell with the sage hens in the area. I've never seen a live one just piles of feathers. One of the kids in the hunting group wants to get a yote, skin it and cure the hide. Don't ask me why? I think he teaches inter city kids about the outdoors and the native peoples. I know its not eating the meat but it won't all go to waste.

We like to keep the kid happy, he makes a mean trout almondine.

Thanks for all the in put.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-14-2010, 7:29 AM
I eat everything I harvest including yotes unless they are mangey or too small.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-14-2010, 8:33 AM

coyotes are predators, and can/will decimate deer herds, calves, turkeys, quail, pets, barnyard animals..... and should be taken every chance you get.

toby
06-14-2010, 4:59 PM
I eat everything I harvest including yotes unless they are mangey or too small.

This I don't believe!

professionalcoyotehunter
06-14-2010, 5:10 PM
Check this out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=288208

the only thing I wont eat but have before is ground squirrels.:D

Eat Dirt
06-14-2010, 5:11 PM
This I don't believe!

If PCH said so ...... You better get the Bar-B-Q Sauce out !!

rumblebee
06-14-2010, 5:50 PM
Then you need to get on his wait list for yote jerky......believe it :eek:;)

This I don't believe!

toby
06-14-2010, 6:12 PM
Guy's I've killed more bobcats and yotes than I care to count anymore, and after skinning all those no thanks really! I did try some pine pigeons tho.