PDA

View Full Version : A better way to lock your mag...

hawk1
03-28-2006, 5:25 PM
I followed up with Darin on his detachable mag lock kit and it looks like a very nice setup. As you can see from the picture below it blends in very well.
The button is aluminum, and will come with the allen wrench, set screws, and installation/locking instructions. It can be used on all AR-15 type rifles and AR-10 rifles using a stock AR-15 button.
The button can also be used as a real mag button when you go out of state without removing the unit. Simply turn the allen screw counter clockwise 3 times and bingo, it works as a real button. Turn it back 3 times, and it now locks the mag with a "tool"per CAL DOJ requirements.
With the allen countersuck as it is, there is NO WAY an overzelous DA could manipulate it by hand without a tool. :p
These do not have the large allen head screw as seen in other threads. Set screw is exactly as pictured below.

Darin will include instructions for several levels of locking. Level one is more than adequate fo complying with the law as stated by the state of California.

Level 2 will be to remove the spring and use one setscrew.
Level 3 will be to remove the spring, and add another setscrew on top of screw #1
Level 4 will explain how to epoxy or superglue the second screw in place.

Everyone will find a warm fuzzy place at one of those levels.

If you would like to purchase one or more of these please send me a private message or email
http://www.hunt101.com/img/402787.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/402788.jpg

Rascal
03-28-2006, 5:36 PM
I'm interested

bear308
03-28-2006, 5:41 PM
Interesting.
very.......... (damn ten characters)

marklbucla
03-28-2006, 5:42 PM
Depending on how much it is, I'd likely be interested in one or two.

Prospector
03-28-2006, 6:00 PM
Depends, but always interested...

Tyler
03-28-2006, 6:15 PM
I would like to know the cost, but i would love one of these.

California-Quigley
03-28-2006, 6:16 PM
yup, i will buy a few....

Ravenslair
03-28-2006, 6:17 PM
I am interested as well.

sinner
03-28-2006, 6:18 PM
Definitely interested, depending on price.

hawk1
03-28-2006, 6:28 PM
In order to comply with forum rules, this thread is mostly to inform and get feedback on how people like this type of lock compared to the others out there. Sales and such will be done in the For Sale section so this thread won't be locked.

blkA4alb
03-28-2006, 6:31 PM
count me in

Beatone
03-28-2006, 6:35 PM
I'm interested also depending on price.

DigglerD
03-28-2006, 6:41 PM
I'm interested also depending on price.
ditto that!

ghostrider4evr
03-28-2006, 6:41 PM
I'm interested as well.

Harbinger
03-28-2006, 7:12 PM
Very interested. Good show.

xenophobe
03-28-2006, 7:18 PM
Hmm.......

Scotty
03-28-2006, 7:19 PM
Or just make one yourself. Your local hardware store has everything you need. Set screw, tap, etc.

TacFan
03-28-2006, 8:19 PM
interested

capitol
03-28-2006, 8:21 PM
in a few months I will have 101 different kits to pin my magazine(s)

double_action
03-28-2006, 8:34 PM
Interested too.

24thMED
03-28-2006, 8:42 PM
me too....

Apeman88
03-28-2006, 8:46 PM
I'll take 2... as long as price is fair.

Ken

Jicko
03-28-2006, 8:49 PM
I followed up with Darin on his detachable mag lock kit and it looks like a very nice setup. As you can see from the picture below it blends in very well.
The button is aluminum, and will come with the allen wrench. It can be used on all AR-15 type rifles and AR-10 rifles using a stock AR-15 button.
The button can also be used as a real mag button when you go out of state without removing the unit. Simply turn the allen screw counter clockwise 3 times and bingo, it works as a real button. Turn it back 3 times, and it now locks the mag with a "tool"per CAL DOJ requirements.
With the allen countersuck as it is, there is NO WAY an overzelous DA could manipulate it by hand without a tool. :p

If there is enough interest I'll buy the units and package them for delivery to you. I will list this and the details in the For Sale section at that time.

Care to tell us where to get the parts, and what parts are they? We can do it ourselves.

j2ws2000
03-28-2006, 9:05 PM
I'm about ready to build my AR, this is the greatest post since silced bread, I'm in if you guys would make these for a reasonable price.

GTKrockeTT
03-28-2006, 9:07 PM
Care to tell us where to get the parts, and what parts are they? We can do it ourselves.

now wouldn't that defeat the purpose of him trying to sell it to us?;)

HillBilly
03-28-2006, 9:33 PM
Interested as well.

cpsca
03-28-2006, 9:34 PM
Great design. I'd be interested.

blkA4alb
03-28-2006, 9:53 PM
i think uve got plenty of interest by now, so start PMing us with details. or at least tell us an estimate of the price. you do want our money right? :D (not that much...dont forget its very little material...)

superhondaz50
03-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I may be needing one soon

mow
03-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Interested :D

10K2HVN
03-28-2006, 10:13 PM
its one of those things that hits you like..

"WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT!!!" :o

Very Int:cool:rested.

Mr.RoDiN
03-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Depending on price and legality, ill take 3

sac7000
03-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, I'd like to try a pair myself.....

Ed1216
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm interested.

Firehawk3
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
i'll take one

Prince50
03-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Using this username till admin fiqures out what gives with plain old Prince50,

Anyway. Working with Hawk1 to get these to you quickly. Since he in fact contacted me first, I can not comment on pricing, but it will be reasonable for sure.

As to making this yourself, I hesitated to even send PICS for that reason. This is a simple design, Hawk and I will keep the price below what you could build one for, (Cuz I buy all parts in bulk). Finally, the idea is worth somthing isn't it?

I am going to include instructions for several levels of locking. Level one is more than adequate fo complying with the law as stated by the state of California.

Level 3 will be to remove the spring, and add another setscrew on top of screw #1

I can read english well, so my rifles will be configured level 1. When you guys see this you will too.

Parts should be done by Friday at the very latest. Hawk should post pricing soon, as he can figure out basic quantities by now.

Thanks Hawk.

Darin

blkA4alb
03-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Using this username till admin fiqures out what gives with plain old Prince50,

Anyway. Working with Hawk1 to get these to you quickly. Since he in fact contacted me first, I can not comment on pricing, but it will be reasonable for sure.

As to making this yourself, I hesitated to even send PICS for that reason. This is a simple design, Hawk and I will keep the price below what you could build one for, (Cuz I buy all parts in bulk). Finally, the idea is worth somthing isn't it?

I am going to include instructions for several levels of locking. Level one is more than adequate fo complying with the law as stated by the state of California.

I can read english well, so my rifles will be configured level 1. When you guys see this you will too.

Parts should be done by Friday at the very latest. Hawk should post pricing soon, as he can figure out basic quantities by now.

Thanks Hawk.

Darin
awesome, put me on the list for 2. me first me first!

j2ws2000
03-28-2006, 10:45 PM
This makes me wich I had bought a second receiver..maybe down the road I will...

Anyway, this is a truly awesome idea and I'll definitely take one off your hands for my AR project. To me, this is like a breakthrough, and you have my thanks for such a genius idea.

When do you think you'll have these ready? My AR15 project is for May this year..

Justang
03-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I'll take 3 if the price is reasonable.

Apostolos
03-28-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm good for a few.

God Bless,
David

Jicko
03-28-2006, 11:12 PM
now wouldn't that defeat the purpose of him trying to sell it to us?;)
It is just a "set screw".... with a certain size and length, right? And all you need to do is just to drill the hole on the mag-button.... and to make it even more robust... and if you want additional safety, you can use 2 set-screws instead of one.

this thread is mostly to inform and get feedback
This thread was started to "inform" and get "feedback".

Buy the kit from him if you want convinence, now that he is selling this "kit"..... :-)

If you need an extra "set screw" for the extra safety:

"Set Screw"
Thread Szie: #2-56 or #1-72
Length: 3/4"

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Set Screw Part #: 91375A083
Hex Key Part #: 7122A12 or 7122A37

Micdub
03-28-2006, 11:13 PM
I'll add my name to the list Great idea! :D

m1aowner
03-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I think I might take a couple too. Good idea.

AW-FANATIC
03-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Im down for a couple

Apeman88
03-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Maybe I'm thinking too much... but has this mag lock been tested under use?? How well does the set screw hold up with recoil?? I mean... will it bend, break or treads strip?

It looks great and love to use one... but am wondering if it has been tested?

Ken

Mr.RoDiN
03-28-2006, 11:43 PM
good question i dont want this thing breakin. Oh man can u imagine some sorta law enforcment authority asks to check my ar, presses the button and my ten rounder falls out? Hehe maybe im just paranoid. I still want a few!!!! :D

CrazyJeep
03-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Count me in for 2.

glockfu
03-28-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm in for a couple... please let me know when you have everything :D

45user
03-29-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm interested also. Put me on the list.

ja391
03-29-2006, 2:19 AM
I'd be interested in two depending on the price.

avidone
03-29-2006, 3:27 AM
I'm interested in a few depending on price.

hitnrun
03-29-2006, 4:02 AM
2 or 3 for sure!

hawk1
03-29-2006, 6:19 AM
The thread is up in the For Sale section go to this thread.
Please post as the info in the thread says.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=258203#post258203

Also, to those that want to make this item yourself, well I'll reserve my thoughts about you and your character to myself. Please, it is a great idea, allow the designer to make some money off his idea. To others that don't care, then that says alot about you as a person.

klmmicro
03-29-2006, 6:47 AM

It is a standard mag release button with an offset hole drilled in it. Then you tap it and use a 3/4" or 1" long set screw. You can order set screws like that through McMaster-Carr. You will want a drill press for drilling the "button". Nice thing about this idea is pull the set screw once in the free lands out of the state border and you are good to go.

As for endurance, those set screws will take more punsihment than we will dole out. Using this design with the light recoil of the .223, you are looking at an indefinate lifespan.

As for it backing out. Get in the habit of pressing the release when you are through with your string. You will feel if the screw is backing out. This should be habit anyway, as the rifles intended loading method is to drop and slap anyway.

A commendable idea.

6172crew
03-29-2006, 7:20 AM

Also, to those that want to make this item yourself, well I'll reserve my thoughts about you and your character to myself. Please, it is a great idea, allow the designer to make some money off his idea. To others that don't care, then that says alot about you as a person.

I agree, I can make them but will back the guy who has come up with the idea, I will take 2 when available.;)

Hersir
03-29-2006, 7:20 AM
Very slick, and it complies with the language of 978.20(a).

jp.cherokee
03-29-2006, 7:46 AM
I like, 2 please. :)

PistolKidd
03-29-2006, 8:09 AM

Well.. everyone has their opinions about ingenuity. Me personally, I could make one, or have one done for me, but for what you're offering, its damn affordable. When I saw the picture and read the description, I knew what was up and thought it was one of those small moments of genius :) the proverbial "better mousetrap"... Im gonna get in line and sign up for one.. it's worth it.. I get paid a decent wage- all the same, buying the tooling and spending MY time, makes it extremely not worthwhile to make one myself... And since Im only going to need one or two of these, it makes even more sense... i might try it down the road, if i can get some tools..but for now, im gonna reward darin's ingenuity and save myself a load of time by buying one of his mag locks..

Also...
Im not opposed to making them, but Im not gonna jump on someone elses thread and start linking to other places and describe how to do it.. It's obvious they woudlve told you if they had wanted you to know.. Since they did not, what kind of jackass would bother to post an impromptu "how to" in someone else's thread..? Some aholes never learn.. dont crap in other peoples threads..start your own.. im with you hawk..some of these folks have no sense or tact about how they conduct themselves..

Since I really like this forum.. I dont mind some people making some money...my sincere hope is that the people who do profit, will in turn give something back to the forum.. I wish this was a paid forum.. like the way ARF is.. I immediately became a paying team member over there. they provide an awesome service.. and i am quite happy to not be the cheap bastad that just takes and takes.. we have enough of that going on everywhere else.. why do it here

Some people will try to make them on their own.. thats great if they wanna make one for themselves.. but i see the service and overall product as something that is equally desirable for the masses.. since it's also at a reasonable* fee.. i hope it sells well..

WokMaster1
03-29-2006, 8:52 AM
Hehehe......I'll take 5 please.......:D

Surveyor
03-29-2006, 9:05 AM
Anybody that takes the time and money to make a good product should be rewarded with my cash. Yes there are exceptions, but lets not split hairs. While I was at work earning money, Darin was spending money and time trying to make my toy a little more fun. And if he succeded he might make a few bucks. If he failed he would lose money. Looks like he has a winner, and I'm glad. Oh, and by the way, how can we expect people to go out on a limb and design specialty products for us if we take the profit motive out of it?

Glasshat
03-29-2006, 9:05 AM

I hope your friend can make some money on this. He invented a better mousetrap and has the opportunity (but no guarantee) to profit from it.

Instead of rebuking those who are going to make their own, keep in mind there are hundreds of great ideas and advise exchanged on this board every day with no intention or expectation of money changing hands. That is because most of the bright ideas you see here and benifit from are just tweaks of an existing design, are not patentable, and are only intended to make a hobby more enjoyable for both the advise giver and the advise receiver.

chickenfried
03-29-2006, 9:09 AM
Come on guys quit trying to blow smoke up my kazoo. Just admit it you're like me, too lazy to make your own :p

-hanko
03-29-2006, 9:11 AM
It's the same as the FAL mag lockout...the setscrew or fixed pin is cheap. You will, however, go through a number of tools [bits and/or taps] to get it right. Development costs need to be covered, as does the time spent in coming up with an elegant solution that requires tools to release the mag. This is a great idea. You still have the choice to diy it or buy a turn-key solution.

-hanko

Surveyor
03-29-2006, 9:19 AM
Instead of rebuking those who are going to make their own, keep in mind there are hundreds of great ideas and advise exchanged on this board every day with no intention or expectation of money changing hands.

I agree. He should sell the kits to people like me with no tools. He should sell the plans to the people that want to make thier own. That would be fair. I just think that it's uncouth to solicit free plans from someone who is just trying to make a couple of bucks. (So far he has less than $400.00 worth of orders.)

Prince50
03-29-2006, 9:25 AM
Thanks to all for your Kudos and support.

I agree since these are selling here, that a donation to the site is in fact in order.

Also for the DIY crowd by all means go ahead and DIY. To post instructions and suppliers....well, not so cool when done in this thread. Hawk contacted me to bring this to you. He found them after they were at the Costa Mesa show, and sold out in a few hours, for $25 cash and carry.

He is offering this at a good price, and quick delivery.

Again for those giving compliments like "moment of genius".....Thanks. It hit me in a moment of clairity after about 4 diffrent designs. I'll post those later, as they were cool too, but much more complicated.

Darin

Surveyor
03-29-2006, 9:53 AM
This design is the K.I.S.S. principal incarnate.

elsolo
03-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Darin makes good parts, some of the gun stuff I have bought from him: a bipod and adapter for my AR-50, a thumbscrew for the AR-50 so make the bolt removable w/o tools, a rear monopod for the same rifle which eliminates the use of a rear sandbag, and lots of lathe turned brass solid bullets for the .50 and they fly pretty darned good.

I haven't seen this product yet, but I know it will work and be about the best solution to this problem available. I am surprised it took you this long Darin.

shopkeep
03-29-2006, 12:50 PM
count me in for a couple for my rifles!

Prince50
03-29-2006, 3:39 PM
Elsolo,

Been done for awhile. I've been building rifles at Precision Arms with them for several months. The breakwater happened when Al B. said "Darin, bring some buttons to Costa Mesa Huh?" The rest is history. Now it is anyway.

Now I have another board to frequent.......With this and Biggerhammer, and 1919A4, and oh well you get the idea.

Thanks again.

Darin

NoTime2Shoot
03-29-2006, 3:51 PM
:p

That looks a lot more slick than the idea that was rattling around my head!

PistolKidd
03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Elsolo,

Been done for awhile. I've been building rifles at Precision Arms with them for several months. The breakwater happened when Al B. said "Darin, bring some buttons to Costa Mesa Huh?" The rest is history. Now it is anyway.

Now I have another board to frequent.......With this and Biggerhammer, and 1919A4, and oh well you get the idea.

Thanks again.

Darin

Ha..i remember Precision Arms, I bought my first Glock there years and years ago.. back then, Precision Arms were the only ones with the really high end stuff.. its' been years since i've been back..

Is Gene still around?

aklover_91
03-30-2006, 1:22 AM
I'll buy one, if i can ever scrape the money together for a lower...

metalhead357
03-30-2006, 1:50 AM
i'm down for a few!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

kick Z tail out
03-30-2006, 6:02 AM
I want two. :)

rocketboy
03-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I'll take two

guns_and_labs
03-30-2006, 12:47 PM
One, please.

ekimatuan
03-30-2006, 3:36 PM
Already spoke to Darin about them, but I might as well post...

1 please.

Prince50
03-30-2006, 4:22 PM
Hawk has the FS thread over in the FS area.

If I spoke to you directly about a button, zap me an Email.
He will have over 100 buttons by Tuesday next week.

No sleeping this weekend for me!

Yes Gene still owns Precision Arms,but he is down in Louisiana doing insurance adjusting for the Katrina situation. (Side job, Must be good $$$$$)

Let's close this thread up and post want to buy numbers in the sale thread so Hawk only needs to check one place.

Thanks all.

Darin

Technowizard
03-30-2006, 8:21 PM
Hmm... let me get this straight, and if I'm wrong PLEASE correct as this would be pretty cool. You install this modified mag release button on your AR. It locks your 10 Round clip into place... which of course creates a non-detachable magazine and makes the AR California compliant. You take your tool and with 3 or so turns, the button functions as normal and you can drop the mag. Am I reading/understanding this right?

I hate to rain on everyone's parade if... and only if I am right... but it sounds like the moment you make your 3 or so little turns and the button functions normal again, you become in possession of a catagorized Assault Weapon! The 3 turns themself didn't drop the mag, but rather restored full functionality to the mag release. This in turn has "enabled" a detachable magazine for you rifle, and if you have any of the other "evil" features installed, then its now an Assault Weapon.

Yes, while the button is locked, I'd agree that the AR would be completely legal. I just wouldn't make those 3 little turns in front of law enforcement personnel! LOL!

Again if the button modification doesn't work like that (in that it doesn't restore full normal functionality), then please correct me!

Technowizard

hawk1
03-30-2006, 8:28 PM
Your reply sounds right. Your a big boy. Know when to back off the mag lock and when not. It is there for those that would like to shoot their off lists out of state where it is legal to do so. When in state you keep it locked. So as with any mag lock device you will decide if and when you want to drop the mag. Remember if you pull the pistol grip you can drop your mag all you want. :D

chickenfried
03-30-2006, 8:28 PM
You're completely right. But that's the whole point of this set up. You're not supposed to do the three turns to allow the button to function normally, unless you're in a state where it's legal.:rolleyes:

As stated in the original post

Hmm... let me get this straight, and if I'm wrong PLEASE correct as this would be pretty cool. You install this modified mag release button on your AR. It locks your 10 Round clip into place... which of course creates a non-detachable magazine and makes the AR California compliant. You take your tool and with 3 or so turns, the button functions as normal and you can drop the mag. Am I reading/understanding this right?

I hate to rain on everyone's parade if... and only if I am right... but it sounds like the moment you make your 3 or so little turns and the button functions normal again, you become in possession of a catagorized Assault Weapon!

Technowizard

Prince50
03-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes you are correct... All of you.

The button allows/helps law abiding Californans stay in compliance with the letter of the law.

If we were all non law abiding folks, none of us would consider spending $17 on a button that comes with our lower parts kit.

We, the law abiding, are only here posting about this because we do not want to turn those 3 turns while in California. Unless of course all "evil" features are removed first.

Now do not get me started on the bogus requirements CAL DOJ has made on Vulcan/ Bushmaster to get the OKAY to sell "compliant" rifles in California.

One of the most clear, black and white definitions I have ever seen, is this one by California on magazines.

It does not say "maybe you need to pin or epoxy, weld, fuse, glue, nail or cast the magazine in place. It says "requires a tool to remove".

Maybe as a rifle manufacturer that DOJ voodoo works, but I can read.

Lock the mag, stay compliant. Make the 3 turns, break the law. If you plan to break the law....Save your $17.

No unhappy tone in my post by the way. Just sharing my view of a simple issue.

Thanks,

Darin

Prince50
03-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh and by the way,

If you install my button without the spring, It will in fact drop the mag when you make the 3 turns.

Included are a second set screw to lock set screw number 1 in place. this is for those who deem it appropriate.

Finally the instructions now include suggestions on how to epoxy or glue screw 1, screw 2, or any combination of screws to carry this even closer to Ol' Bills vision of a PC rifle.

Talk about being flexible! that gives you a total of 9 configurations to choose from with just one little bag of parts. 8 of those configurations will satisfy California's law to the letter.

Darin

Technowizard
03-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Ok thats what I thought, but I just didn't see any spot that spelled it out that its not so much using a tool to remove the mag, but that using a tool would out right convert it back to AW status without actually removing or replacing any parts. It would almost be like adjusting your sites or something... its that simple from legal to illegal!

You know they must have written these laws while they were high, dancing around in a circle saying with a slur "wow man, peace man, guns are bad man, make love not war man, woooow"..... thats how retoricale they are. Its ok to have a detachable magazine, but when you come into California you have to put a lock on it and its ok. Thats like saying you can't bring in a fully automatic machine gun with NV sniper scope, and anti-helicopter attatchment... unless you keep a trigger lock on it while here. Makes some idiot somewhere actually feel safer... weird... lol.

Technowizard

Prince50
03-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Legal/ illegal is always a line. Cross it and you are there.

A SKS rifle is legal in California, change the mag to a 10 round detachable in 30 seconds, and BOOM! Illegal.

Can we all do it? Of course.....Do we do it? NO!

Darin

FreedomIsNotFree
03-31-2006, 9:30 AM
Look at how much time and effort we spend to stay WITHIN the law. Are we really the folks that the public needs to be worried about in terms of gun ownership?...I think NOT!

We need to be able to show this, in some fashion, to the public at large. We are putting a lot of time and energy into staying within the law....are we the type that will break the law with disregard? Obviously NOT!!

bwiese
03-31-2006, 10:34 AM
A nice bit of engineering.

But I'm really, really, really trying to fathom the reason why the 10rd fixed mag needs to be able to be removed so easily.

Even though CCR 978.20 definition of detachable mag is clear, for the time being I think it's advisable to be "cleaner than Caesar's wife". The idea is not to have a good defense, but to avoid/reduce risk of arrest and/or gun seizure.
For safety's sake I'd also NOT have relevant tool(s) with me when shooting.

That's why, when asked, I always refer to "tools and time". While the formal definition only requires a "tool" to not be a detachable magazine, the "... and time" adds more of a margin for security.

If it takes you 30sec - 1 min to remove a fixed AR mag vs 3 turns of a screw, that really won't affect your trip to the Reno/Sparks desert areas, will it?

Prince50
03-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Bill,

Then for you, (Should yo buy one of my kits), I suggest removing the spring, and using both set screws. Perhaps use red locktite on the bottom screw, that will take you some time and application of heat to remove. (Not enough heat to damage anything of course).

My kit allows you the option of making it more or less complicated/ time consuming to remove the mag.

The MAIN Benefit, is that it does not look UGLY. It is very similar in apperance to an unmodified button. Apperance is important.

Thanks for the compliment by the way, always appreciated.

Darin

kick Z tail out
04-01-2006, 8:57 AM

I hate to rain on everyone's parade if... and only if I am right... but it sounds like the moment you make your 3 or so little turns and the button functions normal again, you become in possession of a catagorized Assault Weapon! The 3 turns themself didn't drop the mag, but rather restored full functionality to the mag release. This in turn has "enabled" a detachable magazine for you rifle, and if you have any of the other "evil" features installed, then its now an Assault Weapon.

Yes, while the button is locked, I'd agree that the AR would be completely legal. I just wouldn't make those 3 little turns in front of law enforcement personnel! LOL!

Again if the button modification doesn't work like that (in that it doesn't restore full normal functionality), then please correct me!
Captain Obvious, you are hereby promoted to Major. :p

Technowizard
04-01-2006, 6:20 PM
Captain Obvious, you are hereby promoted to Major. :p

Sweet! I always hoped I'd be able to make Major before retiring from the Air Force! :D lol!

Technowizard

kick Z tail out
04-01-2006, 9:58 PM
Sweet! I always hoped I'd be able to make Major before retiring from the Air Force! :D lol!

Technowizard
:D :D Hahaha

YoungGun
04-02-2006, 11:58 AM
sorry wrong post

RugBag
04-09-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm in for 3 !

NRAhighpowershooter
04-09-2006, 8:09 AM
I got my 2 kits in yesterday.. While I haven't installed them yet.. They look like a very good quality product and very well thought out!

HillBilly
04-09-2006, 2:39 PM
Also got my kit. Kudos to the person who came up with this.

wangankin
04-09-2006, 3:13 PM
Did you guys install your button with the set screw at 6 o'clock (like in the picture) or 12 o'clock opposite of picture? Did you notice any differences between the two positions? I have mine at 12 o'clock.

Prince50
04-09-2006, 3:32 PM
6 or 12 o clock positions are both just fine.

The inside of the button pocket on the forging or casting are the same.

Enjoy, and thanks for the kudos.

Darin Prince

xenophobe
04-09-2006, 3:38 PM
Personally, this is the first "mag fix kit" I've seen that I'm willing to sell in my store with some reassurance that you can use a second set screw with loctite.

I think in this configuration, you are leaps and bounds more secure (and much less likely to be prosecuted) for using one of these kits, as opposed to the Home Depot special or the Sporting Conversions kit.

I would definitely consider this a pretty close second best to our conversion, and definitely worthy of selling to the customers at my store.

NoTime2Shoot
04-09-2006, 7:43 PM
Personally, this is the first "mag fix kit" I've seen that I'm willing to sell in my store with some reassurance that you can use a second set screw with loctite.

I think in this configuration, you are leaps and bounds more secure (and much less likely to be prosecuted) for using one of these kits, as opposed to the Home Depot special or the Sporting Conversions kit.

I would definitely consider this a pretty close second best to our conversion, and definitely worthy of selling to the customers at my store.

The mod you have, (I feel), is the best Kali legal option. I need to change from a 7 to a 4 round mag. So it is not the best for me.

That being said...

After getting my lower parts in, the idea I had, (an allen bolt in the button), will not work. I thought the button would have more meat.

As I cannot see buying an extra button, I will be doing this FAL style lock myself. As I have a plethora of machine capability, it is easy for me to modify a button I already have.

I would, however, urge anyone who has not purchased their lower parts to purchase this kit. If you do not have a machine shop, for the price, it is well worth it. Especially if you are putting your own lower parts kit together.

I, personally, thought that buying a lower kit was a waste. I knew I would want a trigger kit. I wanted an ambi-ergo grip. I am building a 50, so I don't like the regular trig/hammer pins.

I went through the parts diagram, crossed through Midway, MGI, and Alexander; and got all my goodies. Well, except for a couple of pieces I am doing myself.

Had this been available when I was buying my parts, I would have gotten it. But, hey, I've been silly with the money....

So....

My 2 centavos....

Ken4
04-10-2006, 9:05 AM
I received mine in the mail a few days ago and installed it.

It took less than five minutes to install and it looks great. It also works like a charm too! :D

Prince50
04-19-2006, 8:19 AM
How arethese going for you guys buying them?

Ken has chimed in, what about everyone else.

Thanks,

Darin

Riptide
04-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Darin,

Got mine, went in easy and works and looks great.

Fate
04-19-2006, 10:39 AM
So if the spring is not used and the 3 turns of the screw drop the mag...

...will the mag that's placed back into the magwell actually stay or would you need to tighten up the screw again?

If it requires the tool to reattach the mag, I don't see how it could be viewed as "accepting a detachable mag".

kenc9
04-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Correct, come by and see mine. Loosen it a little and the mag can be pulled out when leaving the state!

I used the spring to allow it to work when loosened.

Get your receiver yet?

-ken

AS45-70
04-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I ordered 4 due to the good response it was getting on calguns, it must be worth it if so many ppl liked it. hopefully i have mine by the end of the week.

as45-70

thmpr
04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
I need 2 sets.

Prince50
04-19-2006, 4:59 PM
Tmpr,

Add this to the ad in the WTS section. Hawk is the one coordinating delivery.

Thanks,

Darin

Prince50
04-21-2006, 5:22 PM

testing 123

hawk1
05-05-2006, 5:24 PM
Bump with updated pictures and info.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-28-2006, 10:33 PM
purchase link disabled?????:confused:

hawk1
08-29-2006, 1:55 AM
purchase link disabled?????:confused:

Yeah, Calguns killed off all of the For Sale threads. Send me a private message or email.
Mike

Comstock Lode
08-29-2006, 11:04 AM
And I'll take 2 please. Thanks.