PDA

View Full Version : First Few Days Carrying With CCW

DParker
03-28-2006, 2:30 PM
Picked up my first CCW permit Friday morning and have carried nonstop since then. Has been real interesting.

First, since there are such few ccw holders in CA, nobody expects it or is looking for it. There appears to be NO postings anywhere forbidding it, unlike what the "shall issue" ccw states endure. That makes it much simpler.

Started with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster the first day. With dress slacks it didn't print like a gun, but there was clearly a big square lump in my pants. Not real comfortable. Next couple of days used my Desantis Stealth as an OWB by reversing the belt clip. This seemed to work better with dress slacks. Concealed just fine under a loose sweater. Today I'm wearing jeans and I moved the clip back and am wearing it IWB just fine. IWB seems much better with jeans than thin dress slacks. My hip is a little sore and I am very glad I have the lightweight PM9. I can't imagine you guys that pack 1911s. I do like the fact that the Stealth has a clip pouch so I am able to have 14 rounds available for a very small 9 mm with single stack clip.

Did the obligatory Walmart ammo run first day. Skipped the nachos due to low-carbing. :eek: Have been to Home Depot, Lowes, several resturants...no big deal.

Work has been great...nobody knows except a couple of other Realtors in our office that are also getting CCWs. At least 4 that I know of already have permits though they don't always carry. That makes probably 7-8 in our office that I know of (out of ~100) and there may be more since it's not something one generally discusses. No problem with company policy, our sales manager has had a CCW for years and occasionally packs. Had multiple client appointments and contacts each day including the weekend. Nobody seemed to notice anything.

Church on Sunday felt very strange. I was very glad we went back to choir robes a few weeks back, it felt very "safe" wearing a robe. When I didn't have my robe on, it felt like "everyone" was looking at my lumpy sweater. Was just my paranoia. Nobody had a clue.

Feels great to be legal. Feels great to be prepared. Feels great to be armed. :)

ajwells
03-28-2006, 2:46 PM
Cool man.

I always figured it would take a bit of getting used to. Do you have to pay attention to things like raising your arms too high and having your shirt come up and releave it? I always think that there are goig to be things you have to start paying attention to that you normally do. I don't look foward to the first time I get pulled over post-CCW. Not that I'd get arrested or anything, but Im sure it would be a small issue with the officer.

Nick5811
03-28-2006, 3:04 PM
It is exciting when you first get to carry, and kind of scary too!

Isn't it nice to find out that 98% of the general public is so oblivious that even if they did see a bulge the *LAST* thing they would think is that you are carrying a gun?

Good luck when summer comes though...it's always a bit harder to conceal it when you can't really wear bulky clothes.

Did you carry for the first day or two without chambering a round? A lot of people do that when they first get their gun...they usually get over that fear of the gun going off by itself pretty quickly. (However there was the LEO who's glock trigger caught his drawstring while reholstering and blew a hole in his leg...)

Remember though...you can't use your gun if you don't carry it. If you're willing to carry it in church, you should be willing to carry it everyday.

It's kind of like insurance...better to have and not use than to need it and not have it!

p.s. Last time I went to walmart they had 9mm Hollowpoints for like, 5 bucks! I don't know if I'd carry them for PD ammo, but I'd certainly shoot a few boxes of them for $5!

Nick5811
03-28-2006, 3:08 PM
Cool man.

I always figured it would take a bit of getting used to. Do you have to pay attention to things like raising your arms too high and having your shirt come up and releave it? I always think that there are goig to be things you have to start paying attention to that you normally do. I don't look foward to the first time I get pulled over post-CCW. Not that I'd get arrested or anything, but Im sure it would be a small issue with the officer.

License and registration please.

"Yes Officer. My wallet and concealed carry permit is in my right rear pocket behind my lawfully concealed handgun."

Okay, thank you for letting me know. Go ahead and slowly retrieve your wallet.

This should work out for 99% of LEO's that may stop you. Hopefully you don't typically drive in ways that draw attention to yourself. I pay particular attention to how I drive so I don't get pulled over, therefore preventing that situation in the first place. Professional courtesy may be nice, fortunately I've never had to test it.

DParker
03-28-2006, 3:09 PM
Do you have to pay attention to things like raising your arms too high and having your shirt come up and releave it? I always think that there are goig to be things you have to start paying attention to that you normally do. I don't look foward to the first time I get pulled over post-CCW. Not that I'd get arrested or anything, but Im sure it would be a small issue with the officer.

With OWB I was very concerned about my sweater or shirt riding up and revealing something. In reality, I don't think most people are that observant though. With IWB, I don't worry at all. There is not much showing, and my holster and weapon are all black (I got the Tungsten black SS slide) and I always wear a black under shirt. Just not much to see.

As to a LEO contact, CA does not require notification but I have decided that if I am ever asked for ID for any reason, I would also present my CCW permit at the same time. Best to put his mind at ease.

DParker
03-28-2006, 3:13 PM
Did you carry for the first day or two without chambering a round? A lot of people do that when they first get their gun...they usually get over that fear of the gun going off by itself pretty quickly.

My first inclination was to carry with no round in the chamber. However, the more I have read and researched, I no longer think that is smart or safe. I can't count on having use of both hands in an emergency and may not have the time to manually rack the slide. Plus, per the manual, Kahr recommends chambering the first round by using the slide lock instead of racking by hand. By hand seems to not be as reliable.

I have fired almost 400 rounds through this little Kahr and I am convinced that the DAO trigger and the internal design of this gun makes it worthy to carry with one in the tube assuming a decent holster with trigger guard.

So, from the outset I have carried it with 6+1 loaded and ready with 7 more in the extra (longer) clip at front of holster.

Richard
03-28-2006, 3:19 PM
I've tried a pile of rigs and guns.....I've tried inside the pant....,belt rigs....ankle holster's....pager pal......fanny pak...that big band that goes inside your shirt and under your arm pit area...

guns were glock 19....para P14-45...S&W airweight(38)...FEG(Walther 380 copy)...:mad: :mad:

Now I'm happy with my PARA CARRY LDA (6-45cal.) and a bianci soft leather inside the pant:D ....oh and loose fitting jeans.

thisismyboomstick
03-28-2006, 4:10 PM
Church on Sunday felt very strange. I was very glad we went back to choir robes a few weeks back, it felt very "safe" wearing a robe. When I didn't have my robe on, it felt like "everyone" was looking at my lumpy sweater. Was just my paranoia. Nobody had a clue.

For the first few weeks after getting your CCW it feels a little awkward carrying a gun around doing your everyday activites.

After that it feels awkward not carrying one.

BigMac
03-28-2006, 4:10 PM
I know a cop that carries off duty.. he carries a full size pistol in a fobus holster. Half the time his muzzle is stiking out.. If I wasn't kidding him about it all the time.. guys around him don't even notice. I would and do.. I've spotted several guys packing in my store. Usually to find out their cops..

gmcem50
03-28-2006, 5:38 PM
My hip is a little sore and I am very glad I have the lightweight PM9. :)

Excellent choice in a carry weapon; I just picked up a PM9 for the same reason.

StuckInCA
03-28-2006, 7:31 PM
Picked up my first CCW permit Friday morning and have carried nonstop since then. Has been real interesting.

First, since there are such few ccw holders in CA, nobody expects it or is looking for it. There appears to be NO postings anywhere forbidding it, unlike what the "shall issue" ccw states endure. That makes it much simpler.

Started with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster the first day. With dress slacks it didn't print like a gun, but there was clearly a big square lump in my pants. Not real comfortable. Next couple of days used my Desantis Stealth as an OWB by reversing the belt clip. This seemed to work better with dress slacks. Concealed just fine under a loose sweater. Today I'm wearing jeans and I moved the clip back and am wearing it IWB just fine. IWB seems much better with jeans than thin dress slacks. My hip is a little sore and I am very glad I have the lightweight PM9. I can't imagine you guys that pack 1911s. I do like the fact that the Stealth has a clip pouch so I am able to have 14 rounds available for a very small 9 mm with single stack clip.

Did the obligatory Walmart ammo run first day. Skipped the nachos due to low-carbing. :eek: Have been to Home Depot, Lowes, several resturants...no big deal.

Work has been great...nobody knows except a couple of other Realtors in our office that are also getting CCWs. At least 4 that I know of already have permits though they don't always carry. That makes probably 7-8 in our office that I know of (out of ~100) and there may be more since it's not something one generally discusses. No problem with company policy, our sales manager has had a CCW for years and occasionally packs. Had multiple client appointments and contacts each day including the weekend. Nobody seemed to notice anything.

Feels great to be legal. Feels great to be prepared. Feels great to be armed. :)

Congratulations!

Ive had mine since Oct/Nov of last year, and, it took about a week to get used to. I carry at work exposed, and for the past 6 years working my job it kinda felt weird NOT having my holster/gun on when I went out. Now that I recieved my CCW, and I have mine on me all hours of the day/night, I feel "normal".

It does take SOME getting used to. About 3 weeks into having it, my girlfriend and I were shopping at Beverges and More, and I bent down to pick up some bottles of wine, thus making my shirt ride high and expose about 50% of my holster. The kid stocking that section, his face went WHITE. You will QUICKLY learn to lift with your knees, and not bend over, and ask for help on those high to reach places.

Bad habits are hard to break. If you have a significant other, have them watch you, specificly for you checking or "patting". Everyone does it, and you do it and dont even notice. Yes its there, stop checking. =) Everytime you do it, have your s/o pinch you or point it out. Thats the only way to break the habit.

ALWAYS SHOW YUR CCW WITH YOUR DL TO A OFFICER OF THE LAW. It's common curtosey, and puts the officer at "ease" when he knows right away what he is dealing with.

I can't wait till summer, when its not so much "sweater and jacket" weather, so I can get used to carrying in shorts and such.

-Andy

harley66
03-28-2006, 8:10 PM
congrats... check out the Milt sparks IWB,,, my best holster....

Watch out for Ladies that like to give "Hugs" when saying "Hi"...... it is a great way to get Made.....

Mark in Eureka
03-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Congratulations.

I remember getting my CCW and the first time I carried concealed. Could not beleave everyone did not notice. It will pass and you will forget you are even carrying. Welcome to the Safety Committee.

California-Quigley
03-29-2006, 12:56 AM
a good cop knows when someone is armed. I see armed people all the time... some are prolly lawfull most are not.... but i chose my line of work...

I would id myslef if i got jammed up by a LEO. before you know it, he is asking you to get out of your car.... (they need no reason... case law says they can do it for no reason at all).

you best advise them ahead of time and keep their nerves calm. traffic stops and pedestrian stops are prolly the most dangerous...

Jeff Rambo
03-29-2006, 2:03 AM

You must be a GlockTalk'er.

antarius
03-29-2006, 10:06 AM
I carry a GLOCK 26 from basically the time I wake up, until the time I go to sleep. I carry virtually everywhere...

Like you, I was concerned (at first) that people would see it and watched very carefully what I wore.

Currently I carry IWB only, with a Blade-Tech, and can conceal it with a simple t-shirt and jeans. Yes, you can see a print if I lean over real far or something, but again, with time you begin to realize -- NO ONE NOTICES!

Most of the time I wear a sweater or something just to cover it up even better, but very often I do not; And no one has ever noticed it or said anything.

Welcome to the club, it's nice isn't it?

Woodman
03-29-2006, 3:47 PM
LEOs do not want to hear the word "gun". Stay cool, no sudden movements.
License, registration, insurance, and CCW. Hands back to the wheel.

Try the Sparks PCH with the PM9. You'll need a pair of loose slacks.
The outfit slips into the front pocket, and does not spring out with a draw.
Just about no imprinting.

I like the idea with the robes. My Mini-14 would hide nicely.

DParker
03-29-2006, 4:05 PM
You must be a GlockTalk'er.

Heck, I've been reading and learning on 4 or 5 gun forums lately. Forgot where I read the whole "Walmart & Nachos" thing...guess I assumed it was a universal tradition. :)

sohijiro
03-29-2006, 4:28 PM
ok what counties are you guys in? , cuz its next to impossible from what i hear to get a permit here in the alameda .or sacramento county so i didnt even bother, did you use your profession as a reason to get a permit, because im a realtor also and the only way id see a good excuse to get one would be cuz i have to drive strangers around to look at houses leaving me open to danger, etc

mind bringing me up to speed?

antarius
03-29-2006, 4:45 PM
ok what counties are you guys in? , cuz its next to impossible from what i hear to get a permit here in the alameda .or sacramento county so i didnt even bother, did you use your profession as a reason to get a permit, because im a realtor also and the only way id see a good excuse to get one would be cuz i have to drive strangers around to look at houses leaving me open to danger, etc

A lot of counties north of Sonoma County offer CCW's. Mendocino county openly does, as does Shasta County, etc.

I carry cause I'm a LEO, so that's a little different.

Most of the people I know who received a CCW did so in a "northern county," where they didn't really need much of a reason, except that they wanted one.

moulton
03-29-2006, 5:02 PM
LEOs do not want to hear the word "gun". Stay cool, no sudden movements.
License, registration, insurance, and CCW. Hands back to the wheel.

Try the Sparks PCH with the PM9. You'll need a pair of loose slacks.
The outfit slips into the front pocket, and does not spring out with a draw.
Just about no imprinting.

I like the idea with the robes. My Mini-14 would hide nicely.

I have heard that in Georgia People can carry NFA registered Golock 18's :D . But what I really want to know is if you have a NFA sawed-off shotgun can you carry it (obviously not inCA):D ?

Once I turn 21 I plan on going to a free(er) county where I can get a CCW, Have any of ya'll ever carried with military BDU trousers ( my usual atire :D ), Cargo pants, and Cargo shorts ( summer).

antarius
03-29-2006, 5:11 PM
I have heard that in Georgia People can carry NFA registered Golock 18's :D . But what I really want to know is if you have a NFA sawed-off shotgun can you carry it (obviously not inCA):D ?

Once I turn 21 I plan on going to a free(er) county where I can get a CCW, Have any of ya'll ever carried with military BDU trousers ( my usual atire :D ), Cargo pants, and Cargo shorts ( summer).
It's more important that you have a shirt that conceals the weapon, and a holster that sits the weapon in your waistband (or externally) properly.

A bad shirt, or a terrible holster, will make even the best pants or smallest firearm, print.

You want a belt and holster that hold the weapon as close to your body as possible, and you want a weapon that allows this as well. 1911's are surprisingly concealable because of how flat they are, if you can get over the length they fit in nicely.

As far as your "cargo pant" question, again, the firearm will rarely print in the pant, it's the shirt that your concern be -- and that can be minimized by teh weapon you carry, the holster, and the position.

I use a Blade-Tech IWB holster, carry a Glock 26, wear it at about 4:00 or 4:30 (at the farthest), have the holster set to an "fbi cant," and I can get away with wearing a t-shirt and any kind of pants I choose -- including cargo style pants.

Nick5811
03-29-2006, 5:45 PM
My first inclination was to carry with no round in the chamber. However, the more I have read and researched, I no longer think that is smart or safe. I can't count on having use of both hands in an emergency and may not have the time to manually rack the slide.

Thank you! I am glad to see you are thinking outside the box and are able to forsee Shtuff HITTING The Fan and you need your free hand to fight off your attacker, or hold your flashlight, etc.

Other people I talk to (family, friends) are flabergasted that I would carry a gun AND bullets for the gun! They of course don't understand the need for a round in the chamber either.

Good luck! hopefully you won't need it!

sohijiro
03-29-2006, 8:19 PM
A lot of counties north of Sonoma County offer CCW's. Mendocino county openly does, as does Shasta County, etc.

I carry cause I'm a LEO, so that's a little different.

Most of the people I know who received a CCW did so in a "northern county," where they didn't really need much of a reason, except that they wanted one.

ive been seriuously thinking about taking ccw classes and range qualifying classes to take a crack at getting one since im a resident of sac county, but what i see on packing.org and from word of mouth my odds are slim to none, im on my way to being ACSO so hopefully i get a good job and a ccw effectivly killing two birds with one stone.

DParker
03-29-2006, 8:43 PM

I live in Madera County...just north of Fresno. A fellow Realtor was attacked here during an open house one Sunday afternoon in February. He was a big guy, but was attacked by two low-lifes with crow bars. They beat him severely and left him for dead. Despite bleeding profusely from his fractured skull, he was able to drag himself outside and alert neighbors. After weeks in hospital he still has a long recovery ahead. The scum got $23. Got lots of press and media coverage here.

There are now probably more armed Realtors in this area than LEOs. ;)

In my "reason for issue" essay I stressed the dangers of being a Real Estate Agent...meeting total strangers in isolated vacant locations, open houses where anybody off-the-street can enter unvetted, my property manager duties (I manage my own rentals) which include collecting and transporting rental monies, showing vacant properties, and supervising vandalism repairs.

I also threw in travel by motorhome to isolated locations, avid shooter and range member that frequently transports multiple weapons and ammo to and from the range, and detailed how long I have lived in the county, my spotless record, etc.

Bottom line is that you have to give most Sheriffs a good justification to issue. Problem is that what is good reason to one County Sheriff is not good reason to others. Comes down to politics. It is harder to get a CCW in Fresno County, but several Realtors in our office have just been approved by Fresno. I am sure the recent attack made it easier. Madera County has always had an "easy" reputation. Sadly, it took that attack to get me off my @ss and get it done. I should have done this years ago.

DParker
03-29-2006, 9:11 PM
congrats... check out the Milt sparks IWB,,, my best holster....

Would that be the "Watch Six"? It certainly looks good....

Satex
03-29-2006, 9:30 PM
I carried for 8 years solid and never once did I have a round chambered. I feel that it is unsafe and if you aren't trained well enough to load as you draw, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun on your person any way. Part of training include drawing, and a lot of training on clearing malfunctions. I believe the IPSC shooters practice this on a regular basis.

Did you carry for the first day or two without chambering a round? A lot of people do that when they first get their gun...they usually get over that fear of the gun going off by itself pretty quickly. (However there was the LEO who's glock trigger caught his drawstring while reholstering and blew a hole in his leg...)

sohijiro
03-29-2006, 9:34 PM
I live in Madera County...just north of Fresno. A fellow Realtor was attacked here during an open house one Sunday afternoon in February. He was a big guy, but was attacked by two low-lifes with crow bars. They beat him severely and left him for dead. Despite bleeding profusely from his fractured skull, he was able to drag himself outside and alert neighbors. After weeks in hospital he still has a long recovery ahead. The scum got $23. Got lots of press and media coverage here.

There are now probably more armed Realtors in this area than LEOs. ;)

In my "reason for issue" essay I stressed the dangers of being a Real Estate Agent...meeting total strangers in isolated vacant locations, open houses where anybody off-the-street can enter unvetted, my property manager duties (I manage my own rentals) which include collecting and transporting rental monies, showing vacant properties, and supervising vandalism repairs.

I also threw in travel by motorhome to isolated locations, avid shooter and range member that frequently transports multiple weapons and ammo to and from the range, and detailed how long I have lived in the county, my spotless record, etc.

Bottom line is that you have to give most Sheriffs a good justification to issue. Problem is that what is good reason to one County Sheriff is not good reason to others. Comes down to politics. It is harder to get a CCW in Fresno County, but several Realtors in our office have just been approved by Fresno. I am sure the recent attack made it easier. Madera County has always had an "easy" reputation. Sadly, it took that attack to get me off my @ss and get it done. I should have done this years ago.

REALLY?! thats a damn shame about the attack,. i remember last year there was a alert on our MLS about how a female realtor was brutally raped and beaten during a open house too. i can see how that can happen. ive had some open houses where really shady people come in and walk around, you can tell they are eyeballing the place especially if the owners still have their stuff there because you know they are looking around for things to steal or come back and steal. you have a link to that article? id liek to show it to some of the other agents and my broker., there are a few petite female agents we have some of them are related to me and i would feel guilty if i didnt warn them of things liek that happening.

DParker
03-29-2006, 9:45 PM
REALLY?! thats a damn shame about the attack,. i remember last year there was a alert on our MLS about how a female realtor was brutally raped and beaten during a open house too. i can see how that can happen. ive had some open houses where really shady people come in and walk around, you can tell they are eyeballing the place especially if the owners still have their stuff there because you know they are looking around for things to steal or come back and steal. you have a link to that article? id liek to show it to some of the other agents and my broker., there are a few petite female agents we have some of them are related to me and i would feel guilty if i didnt warn them of things liek that happening.

Not sure if you can see this story without registering with the Fresno Bee, but here is a follow up article from a couple of days ago...

Fresno Realtor Recovering
(http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/11979828p-12741738c.html)

And here is the original story from February:

Fresno Realtor Attacked (http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/11777570p-12496994c.html)

DsF_Saint
03-30-2006, 1:26 AM
Just be smart about it. Nothing would be worse than to lose your priviliges to own guns because you make one dumb mistake. drawing a weapon on someone in other than a life threatening situation, can be written as a misdemeanor, but with creativity a felony as well. Felony=No more guns.

I have been carrying for almost twenty years and have become so comfortable, I can get away with almost any pistol. Commonly, I carry a full size USP 45. In the waistband, no holster, shirt untucked and jeans or shorts doesn't matter. Try a nylon belt like the one's made by The Wilderness until you get comfortable. If your gonna holster up, I suggest a suede Bianchi with the inside the waist clip. Anything on the outside of the pants will stand out. Shoulder rigs are too obvious.

If you gotta tuck in your shirt, Try a body band, Bianchi used to make one, you can tuck in a shirt (loosely) and no one would know.

Sweat will ruin the guns finish during the summer, and lint will get inside of the working parts of the gun over time, so make sure you clean it regularly to keep it working correctly. It's not like leaving it in a drawer, if you ignore it, it may not work when you need it. Most importantly practice getting it out of your waistband (unloaded), to many people shoot themselves and their televisions.

Mark in Eureka
03-30-2006, 1:27 AM
Satex Says: "I carried for 8 years solid and never once did I have a round chambered. I feel that it is unsafe and if you aren't trained well enough to load as you draw, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun on your person any way. Part of training include drawing, and a lot of training on clearing malfunctions. I believe the IPSC shooters practice this on a regular basis."

I think that would be very difficult with a revolver. At best it would be "load with five, the hammer on a empty chamber", and at worst it would be an empty weapon.

In dealing with autos. it has been my experience that all my jams come from loading the first round into the chamber. My carry guns never jam when being fired. It seems to me this would be just making a stressful situation even worse by wondering if the weapon is going to jam when you rack the action back.

I have carried for over twenty-five years and have alwasys carried a round chamered except for the six years with a amoured car carrier that insisted on "load with five, the hammer on a empty chamber". Finally they went to load with six.

Either way, one pul of the trigger with a revolver will send a round going down range. With an auto, if you can not use your weak hand for some reason, you will be unable to load your weapon in your own defense. (Example Carrying a Coal Bag or using a handtruck)

Oldtimer
03-30-2006, 4:41 AM
I'm passing this on for what it's worth. I've carried for 35+ years (as a LEO and as a retiree). In those many years, I've only been "made" once. It was by a 7-11 store employee who was sweeping the parking lot when I walked up, and a sudden gust of wind blew my windbreaker open, exposing the IWB holstered pistol. No big thing, for that employee was pro-police, and had even applied to become a LEO.

Whatever holster you decide upon will probably do fine. Besides the holster and what types of clothing to wear, work on your body stance to assist with the concealability factor. Place your weapon side AWAY from people, if possible. You might even want to cant your torso slightly to one side, which will cause your outer garment to be slightly baggy over your weapon. Utilize your elbow and forearms to cover the weapon, but don't make the act obvious. Experiment with the placement of the holster for maximum concealment.

If you walk up to a store and see that they have a "No guns allowed" sign posted, don't make it obvious that you are returning to your car to remove your weapon. Someone may see you looking at the sign, then watch as you go to your car and remove your weapon. That might be an "invitation" for them to break into your car later on. Instead, walk over to a nearby store that doesn't have any signs posted, go inside and browse, THEN go back to your car before entering the "No guns" business.

Lastly, it might be best for you to have your CCW permit readily available if you are stopped by the police. You can hand them your permit FIRST, then calmly explain that you are carrying. By doing it in that particular order, instead of starting off with a verbal "I have a CCW permit", you have handed the officer a document which verifies that you are a CCW permitee. (By the way, I had TWO hard-core criminals verbally identify themselves as CCW permitees, and...yes, they were armed...but, NO, they had no CCW permits! They were convicted felons who figured that "verbalization" might be enough! NOPE! They both hit the "gray bar hotel" for "ex-con with gun" AND illegal CCW!)

halifax
03-30-2006, 5:48 AM
I carry an old expired driver's license, copy of CCW, and vehicle registration paper-clipped together in the driver's door storage pocket. I figure I can hand the officer that first and let him decide how I should proceed with retrieving my current DL from my back pocket. All while keeping my hands in plain sight, of course. :)

It does annoy me that I need to get permission from the government to carry, but I'm glad I live in a county that is pretty much "shall-issue".

Besides the obvious benefits of CCW, I have also realized some unexpected ones too:

1) My sense of situational awareness is always on.

2) My driving is more relaxed and courteous. Not only because I don't want to get pulled over, but because I don't want to have anything to do with a road-rage situation.

3) And best of all, I now have a sense of serenity that I didn't have before. That one took me by surprise. I know now that I stand a better chance than most of not being a victim of some random act of violence.

I've only been made once that I know of and then not really. A co-worker was holding a short ladder for me. I felt a pressure on my hip and she asked "what's that" as she pressed on the IWB/PM9 under my shirt. I quickly adjust my hip out of the way and said "don't touch that, it's my insulin pump!". I guess she believed me. Nothing else was ever said.

Well, anyway welcome to CCW and, of course, I hope you never need it.

DParker
03-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Besides the obvious benefits of CCW, I have also realized some unexpected ones too:

1) My sense of situational awareness is always on.

2) My driving is more relaxed and courteous. Not only because I don't want to get pulled over, but because I don't want to have anything to do with a road-rage situation.

3) And best of all, I now have a sense of serenity that I didn't have before. That one took me by surprise. I know now that I stand a better chance than most of not being a victim of some random act of violence.

So true. I have already noticed each dynamic. I think many anti carry people assume that armed individuals would be more aggressive and assertive. Not at all. I am certainly more aware and polite and serene.

My mindframe is to avoid any problem or bad situation if at all possible because the sobering fact of legal concealed carry in this society is that even if it is a perfectly justifiable draw/shoot, you WILL get sued. That sucks, but in the end I would rather get sued than die or allow my family to be harmed.

On that subject, I believe I have read that a few states (maybe Florida?) have shield laws that prevent civil suits against any lawful use of force. That would be great...but I don't see that coming to CA anytime soon.

MidnightSon117
04-02-2006, 12:28 AM
So true. I have already noticed each dynamic. I think many anti carry people assume that armed individuals would be more aggressive and assertive. Not at all. I am certainly more aware and polite and serene.

My mindframe is to avoid any problem or bad situation if at all possible because the sobering fact of legal concealed carry in this society is that even if it is a perfectly justifiable draw/shoot, you WILL get sued. That sucks, but in the end I would rather get sued than die or allow my family to be harmed.

On that subject, I believe I have read that a few states (maybe Florida?) have shield laws that prevent civil suits against any lawful use of force. That would be great...but I don't see that coming to CA anytime soon.

Florida is very good regarding guns. After carrying while visiting my girlfriend, even the ticket agent and TSA agent at the airport were strict about following FAA guidelines when transporting my gun back to California. Made sure all i's were dotted and t's crossed. On the other hand, the TSA agent leaving California for Florida was very cursory about handling the firearm--I had to remind them to leave the declaration in the case with the firearm! I'm pretty sure not having that declaration upon inspection would have gotten me a load of grief. Ahhh the feeling of being legally armed. This whole thread makes me miss carrying.

BigAL
04-02-2006, 6:57 AM
I carried for 8 years solid and never once did I have a round chambered. I feel that it is unsafe and if you aren't trained well enough to load as you draw, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun on your person any way. Part of training include drawing, and a lot of training on clearing malfunctions. I believe the IPSC shooters practice this on a regular basis.

That's just too funny. If you are so afraid of shooting yourself due to your own negligence that you have to carry w/o a round chambered and rack the slide every time when drawing then YOU are the one who probably shouldn't be carrying a gun. You obviously are not comfortable with it. Oh and if anyone understands the importance of having a gun ready to go right out of the holster it's an IPSC shooter. They do a lot of one handed shooting drills, which originated out of the fact that you may have one arm incapacitated.

tenpercentfirearms
04-02-2006, 7:08 AM
To each his own, but I would feel so much better if the guy I get in a gun fight with decides to carry an empty chamber. I don't train to add seconds to my response time, I train to quickly and accurately respond and that most certainly includes carrying ready to shoot. There is a reason cops carry loaded firearms and there should be a reason you do too. I would make the opposite arguement, if you are uncomfortable with a loaded chamber, maybe it is you that shouldn't be carrying. However, to each their own and if you prefer that method of carry, that is your choice. I counter that argument that is is not only safe to carry with a round in a chamber, it will increase your odds of surviving a gun fight. Do what you feel more comfortable doing.

I have only been contact by the police twice while carrying and neither time did I inform the officer I was carrying. One I was outside of my friends vehicle by the time we had been contacted because I didn't even know we had been pulled over. The other time I was pulled over and the CHP was the car door less than 30 seconds. I always have my DL, reg, and insurance in my hands on 10 and 2 before they even get to the door and my wallet is in my lap. If the officer ever decides to remove me from the car that is when I will notify them. Otherwise, why make your day more complicated if it doesn't need to be?

El Capitan
04-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I don't think I saw anyone mention this, but if you never want to be printed, especially in summer clothes, go with a SmartCarry, as long as you are already carrying a PM9.

Yes, slower to draw from, but *poof*, i've seen people make a small pistol just disappear.

http://www.smartcarry.com