PDA

View Full Version : Mission Viejo residents allowed to shoot rabbits with pellets

gn3hz3ku1*
06-11-2010, 7:20 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/06/whats-up-doc-mission-viejo-residents-allowed-to-shoot-rabbits-with-pellets.html

go OC! wonder if they still need hunting licenses... haha

ScottB
06-11-2010, 8:16 AM
Since they will undoubtedly be shooting cottontails, I would say yes, they will need a license and they will need to observe the season unless there is some sort of DFG depredation permit

winnre
06-11-2010, 8:44 AM
Rabbit pellets are now ammo?

ChaparralCommando
06-11-2010, 2:56 PM
Since they will undoubtedly be shooting cottontails, I would say yes, they will need a license and they will need to observe the season unless there is some sort of DFG depredation permit

4186. Nothing in this code prohibits the owner or tenant of land,
or any person authorized in writing by that owner or tenant, from
taking cottontail or brush rabbits during any time of the year when
damage to crops or forage is being experienced on that land. Any
person other than the owner or tenant of the land shall have in
possession when transporting rabbits from the property, written
authority from the owner or tenant of land where those rabbits were
taken. Rabbits taken under this section shall not be sold.

Defining landscaping as crops or forage is a stretch; they should probably plant some veggies around. Or just wait until July 1.

ScottB
06-11-2010, 4:05 PM
So basically, its a self-issued depredation permit on rabbits.

spectr17
06-11-2010, 5:18 PM
Seems confusing.

The good news for the rabbits: The council has mandated a strict set of guidelines. Shooting is allowed only a half-hour after sunset and a half-hour before sunrise. No traditional guns are allowed -- just the air-powered pellet variety.

Rabbit exterminators must be hired professionals. (Note to rabbits: Exterminators will be required to wear distinctive clothing, such as an orange vest.) And shooters must put down their guns when people are around and prowl only with chaperones by their sides, watching out for human bystanders.

If it's a DFG issued permit then any resident should be able to shoot the bunnies. The rule stating only hired pro exterminators allowed knocks all the residents out for sure. WTH?

67Roadster
06-11-2010, 7:24 PM
darn, my proposal to use the M32 was not accepted.

http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/M-32.jpg

ScottB
06-11-2010, 7:38 PM
The City Council has approved a request allowing residents to shoot the furry pests with pellet guns.

Maybe the reporter was imprecise, but this line suggests that residents will be allowed and the other could be construed to mean IF exterminators are hired, they must be professionals.

You'd think a professional writer could make their points more clearly.