PDA

View Full Version : I Need an OBD-II Computer Reset Check by Friday - SF Bay - Penisula/South Bay

Mug
06-10-2010, 6:42 PM
WTT: I have many things for trade: tools, sports memorabilia, electronics, household items, etc.

I need someone who has a OBD-II scan tool with the capability to check to make sure the OBD computer in my 2000 Chrysler has reset and is ready for a smog test.
I need this done by Friday early after noon, say by 3:30pm

My car has passed all other smog checks, but my battery died on the same day that I did the smog.
Apparently, if your battery goes completely dead, you need to drive it for some undetermined amount of miles and starts before the OBD computer resets.
Unfortunately, the shop that did my smog test doesn't have a scan tool! Only thing they can do is re-run the test.

Donny1
06-10-2010, 7:41 PM
Mug,

It's not a matter of resetting. What it does is run what are called monitors, there are self tests. These monitors run in a particular order. One main one that fails to run in a timely manner is the fuel evaporative monitor. The fuel in the tank needs to be between 1/4 & 3/4 of a tank when it tries to run the test. Also be sure the gas cap is always tight. If it has been driving for a few days and the fuel has been between the levels I mentioned, the monitors should be run by now.

You could try to ask a local shop if they wouldn't mind checking it. It only takes like one minute. Maybe a 6pack bribe.

I'm a socal smog tech and if you were close to me I would do it n/c.

Best of luck!

killmime1234
06-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Donny1's right. Google "2000 Chrysler Drive Cycle." Basically, the car will still fail smog because it's hasn't done a complete self-check after being reset. You would need to run the car's drive cycle to make sure it has completed those tests.

Mug
06-11-2010, 1:01 AM
One main one that fails to run in a timely manner is the fuel evaporative monitor. The fuel in the tank needs to be between 1/4 & 3/4 of a tank when it tries to run the test...

Are there any other monitors that won't reset if the gas tank is between 1/4 & 3/4 of a tank?

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure it will help many CGers.

Donny1
06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't think so. The evap monitor on most cars runs at cold startup. Others run in a certain order. For example, it checks the o2 sensor, once that passes it will run the CAT test and so on. But the evap criteria is, cold start and fuel level above.

Most all will run within a coupls days of normal "drive cycles"

Mug
06-11-2010, 5:40 PM
She passed!

Steps to reset smog and pass with Evap error codes:
1. Confirm error code (P0456 in my case). Several ways to do this, my car has a "key dance" procedure that displays code in dash. Engine Off - Key to On Position (don't start), Key to Off, Key to On, Key to Off, Key to On. Leave Key in On Positon, read codes, Done displayed at end of codes.

2. Either pull the appropriate fuse or disconnect pos term. on battery. drain it (horn, brakes).

3 . use 2000 Chrysler Drive Cycle.

4. drive 75 miles

5 smog it.

Donny1
06-11-2010, 6:12 PM
Congrats!

kemasa
06-12-2010, 5:35 AM
All smog places have the ODBII reader, it is part of the smog computer. Also, many auto parts stores have readers that you can borrow.

garandguy10
06-13-2010, 8:36 PM
Just for everyones information, not all OBD2 monitors need to be reset to pass an emissions test, but any trouble codes that are evident during the test will cause you to fail the test.