PDA

View Full Version : 2 phones

packnrat
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
can two different phones use the same phone number? and yes i am stuck with at&t.
i have the iphone and it does not receive all of my incoming calls, it has cost me a number of work days (on call for work), was hoping for a better receiving phone to keep here at the house (semi zombie zone)

Ricky-Ray
06-10-2010, 12:04 PM
2 phones with the same number at the same time is No. With AT&T your phone number is on your SIM card. Can't put your SIM card into 2 different phones at the same time can you. And as far as I know of there's no way of duping a SIM card.

Ricky-Ray
06-10-2010, 12:16 PM
If you have call forwarding you can have one phone receive the calls of the other phone. It could get expensive having two phones and maybe two plans. Or you can have a Google voice account that forwards your calls but you'll still need a second phone. I'm sure others will chime in.

If your gonna do that might as well get a family plan and have one of the numbers forwarded to the other phone so you don't have to pay for 2 separate plans.

marc4
06-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Gone are the days when cloning a cell phone was easy. Or are they really gone?

JDay
06-10-2010, 2:17 PM
Gone are the days when cloning a cell phone was easy. Or are they really gone?

Doesn't matter, its still a felony.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellphonefraud.html

Cellular fraud (cell fraud) is defined as the unauthorized use, tampering, or manipulation of a cellular phone or service. At one time, cloning of cellular phones accounted for a large portion of cell fraud. As a result, the Wireless Telephone Protection Act of 1998 expanded prior law to criminalize the use, possession, manufacture or sale of cloning hardware or software. Currently, the primary type of cell fraud is subscriber fraud. The cellular industry estimates that carriers lose more than $150 million per year due to subscriber fraud.

XYZ
06-10-2010, 2:37 PM
If your gonna do that might as well get a family plan and have one of the numbers forwarded to the other phone so you don't have to pay for 2 separate plans.

So does the OP have a problem with his phone or his service? If it's a problem with the phone, you can definitely use the family plan and get an additional phone. If it's a problem with the service, then that's another story. Need more info from the OP.

packnrat
06-10-2010, 2:51 PM
it is a problem with the service. it is at&t need i say more.
i live in a "fringe" area. can see a number of cell towers..with a telescope. but the iphone has the antenna inside the case. so that = bad reception, need another phone that i can hook up a outside antenna.
so looks like i will have to choke and rent a land line just so i do not miss a call for work.

i do not believe it would be fraud.. as i would still be paying the bill for the one account and one phone. and i would have total control over both phones so no false calls would be made. i would only use one phone. just the other for the ringer. i would not be doing this (if possible) to cheat anyone or company out of a penny.

cfm117
06-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Get a Femtocell

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

packnrat
06-12-2010, 3:40 PM
i will look into this "femtocell". cost?? as my cell repeater could not connect to a cell tower. so i have something like this...but it does not work via the web.

MultiCal
06-13-2010, 1:05 AM
I thought about having the company that I work for getting this for the work place. Since the company uses AT&T wireless and the signals are weak inside of our building. But I was told that it was an unneeded expenditure.
zBoost YX510-PCS-CEL Dual Band Kit
http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/repeaterkits/wi-ex/zboost-dual-band.html
I guess if it doesn't work for you, you can return it in 30 days