PDA

View Full Version : PC Problem. SOLVED...BIOS.

oso grande
06-09-2010, 10:34 PM
PC's 6 yr old HP 700 series. Running' Windows XP Home ed. SP2.
Just re-installed OS using HP's 8 disc recovery set.
Worked great for a day or two...then became increasingly unstable, showed a couple of blue screens. It got worse and worse. Now the machine boots, but won't recognize the keyboard. It sees the mouse, but disses the keyboard.
Worse...when I press a key...the mouse freezes!
Can anybody help?
Thanks
OG

code33
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
What made you decide to reinstall the OS?
What messages were on the blue screen crashes?

Ricky-Ray
06-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah what made you decide to reinstall the OS?

Did you try unplugging the mouse and keyboard cables and plug them back in? Do you have a spare mouse/keyboard that you can switch out and see if the problem still follow's it?

juicemansam
06-10-2010, 1:15 AM
I would boot up to a live Linux CD, like the Ubuntu Desktop install disk, and run that for a while (that is if the problem can occur with that while), just to rule out a software issue. Then I'd run the memtest found on that same CD to test the memory. Then I'd be try a different keyboard and/or mouse. Should the problem still occur, I'd have no choice but to lay blame on the motherboard.

Dankle
06-10-2010, 10:26 AM
You can try downloading the XP SP3 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en) file and install it to see if it helps any. I had some erratic behavior after doing a reformat recently (XP SP2). The SP3 install seemed to smooth things out. I'm not sure if it will help, but it is another option to try.

oso grande
06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah what made you decide to reinstall the OS?

Did you try unplugging the mouse and keyboard cables and plug them back in? Do you have a spare mouse/keyboard that you can switch out and see if the problem still follows it?

Yep and yep.
The mouse is OK. It's the keyboard. The PC doesn't boot properly. It doesn't look for the keyboard. I can boot with the keyboard disconnected.

OG

oso grande
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
What made you decide to reinstall the OS?
What messages were on the blue screen crashes?

I was given the PC. The previous owner told me, that, a virus had destroyed the OS and that the computer wouldn't boot. So I did re-install.
Blue screen..."Page fault in non paged area".
I would re-install again if the keyboard worked.
OG

oso grande
06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
You can try downloading the XP SP3 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en) file and install it to see if it helps any. I had some erratic behavior after doing a reformat recently (XP SP2). The SP3 install seemed to smooth things out. I'm not sure if it will help, but it is another option to try.

If any fix involves typing or any keyboard use, I can't do it.

Ricky-Ray
06-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Did you just reinstall the OS and left everything alone? If so there maybe additional problems with it because of the virus. I would reformat the hard drive and do a clean reinstall of the OS and any additional programs that you have.

Does the keyboard connect via PS/2? If so have you tried a USB keyboard?

oso grande
06-10-2010, 11:01 AM
I would boot up to a live Linux CD, like the Ubuntu Desktop install disk, and run that for a while (that is if the problem can occur with that while), just to rule out a software issue. Then I'd run the memtest found on that same CD to test the memory. Then I'd be try a different keyboard and/or mouse. Should the problem still occur, I'd have no choice but to lay blame on the motherboard.

I'm downloading Ubuntu as we speak.

I want to thank you all for taking your time to help me.

Oso Grande

oso grande
06-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Did you just reinstall the OS and left everything alone? If so there maybe additional problems with it because of the virus. I would reformat the hard drive and do a clean reinstall of the OS and any additional programs that you have.

Does the keyboard connect via PS/2? If so have you tried a USB keyboard?

I can't do a reinstall without the keyboard...Have to, at least, "push any key".
Yes...PS/2. No USB keyboard.

sniper4usmc
06-10-2010, 12:01 PM
go to BIOS and make sure keyboard and mouse are enable....

Lancear15
06-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I know what the problem is... it's an HP, throw it out.

Problem solved.

Have you tried using a different PS/2 keyboard? not likely the problem, but you have to at least eliminate the possibility.

Lancear15
06-10-2010, 12:09 PM
go to BIOS and make sure keyboard and mouse are enable....

How is he going to get into BIOS if the keyboard doesn't work...

incredablehefey
06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
virus might have flashed your BIOS, because most older systems go through a simple POST (power on self test) and signal a fault if no keyboard is detected

Lancear15
06-10-2010, 12:16 PM
virus might have flashed your BIOS, because most older systems go through a simple POST (power on self test) and signal a fault if no keyboard is detected

I would also suspect a BIOS failure, possibly not related to virus. Again its an HP....

dell and HP PCs = garbage.

razorx
06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
should try and reflash bios, take the battery out from the motherboard for at least several minutes with pc and peripherals all unplugged.

if that doesn't work, then need to test with another keyboard PS/2, then USB.

if keyboard starts to work, download latest bios patch and install.

if keyboard does not work, then likely a hardware failure.

all drives on system would need to have been formatted, virii are quite virile.

willm952
06-10-2010, 1:07 PM
Doubt, that a virus caused a bios error. It could just be a bad ps2 connector on the board and one or more more of the ram sticks has a bad address block. Try running with one of the sticks removed and you can also try changing memory slots. If all else fails, just wait for the Independence Day sale.

JDay
06-10-2010, 1:10 PM
I know what the problem is... it's an HP, throw it out.

You obviously don't have much experience with HP products. Their business class machines (which this one is) are high quality.

JDay
06-10-2010, 1:12 PM
should try and reflash bios, take the battery out from the motherboard for at least several minutes with pc and peripherals all unplugged.

if that doesn't work, then need to test with another keyboard PS/2, then USB.

if keyboard starts to work, download latest bios patch and install.

if keyboard does not work, then likely a hardware failure.

all drives on system would need to have been formatted, virii are quite virile.

The most likely hardware failure is the keyboard he is currently using. Probably had something spilled on it.

Lancear15
06-10-2010, 1:28 PM
You obviously don't have much experience with HP products. Their business class machines (which this one is) are high quality.

You must be talking about a laptop... because I wouldn't touch an HP desktop with a ten foot pole. a 3 foot pole for the laptops.

I have experience with both and both suck IMO.

My B-I-L, against my advice, got a high end HP probook, within a week it failed to boot, HP "repaired" it and after having it back 2 days it failed (which was yesterday) again.

Anything HP can make proprietary they do, which is fine if you don't know anything about computers. It is one of the major reasons I stay away from Apple PCs too.

JDay
06-10-2010, 1:32 PM
My B-I-L, against my advice, got a high end HP probook, within a week it failed to boot, HP "repaired" it and after having it back 2 days it failed (which was yesterday) again.

I've had many HP business class notebooks and have never had any issues with them, I suspect user error/abuse.

razorx
06-10-2010, 1:35 PM
Doubt, that a virus caused a bios error. It could just be a bad ps2 connector on the board and one or more more of the ram sticks has a bad address block. Try running with one of the sticks removed and you can also try changing memory slots. If all else fails, just wait for the Independence Day sale.

yep, virus didn't cause the bios problem. There was either never a virus, or coincidental problems.

seemed to work fine though for a time and then progressively became worse after a fresh install, pointing to a hardware issue failing with memory the likely culprit.

can definitely try swapping sticks to further troubleshoot.

Lancear15
06-10-2010, 1:36 PM
I've had many HP business class notebooks and have never had any issues with them, I suspect user error/abuse.

Hehe, well if there was user error, it was his IT department setting him up to run on their network. He didn't do any mods to software/hardware, HP said it was a RAM failure the 1st time, we'll see what they say this time.

oso grande
06-10-2010, 1:37 PM
I would also suspect a BIOS failure, possibly not related to virus. Again its an HP....

dell and HP PCs = garbage.

It was the BIOS. Reinstalled 'em...We're good to go (for now).
So...let's go shoot some guns!!
Thanks again for everyone's input.

OG.

Lancear15
06-10-2010, 1:47 PM
It was the BIOS. Reinstalled 'em...We're good to go (for now).
So...let's go shoot some guns!!
Thanks again for everyone's input.

OG.

Woot!