PDA

View Full Version : walmart sentry safe???

morepoop4u
03-27-2006, 7:44 PM
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/49/07/40/06/0049074006648_500X500.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4564314

Anybody know where I can pick one of these up locally for the same price. I called most of the walmarts in my area (san jose) and they don't carry any gun safes.

superhondaz50
03-27-2006, 7:52 PM
Have them order you one and have it sent to a local wal-mart near you. Thats what I did. They even ordered the wrong one, so I paid $350 for an $800 14 gun safe!!!

morepoop4u
03-27-2006, 7:56 PM
Thanx, I didn't know you could do that. I swing by this week hehe:D

morepoop4u
03-27-2006, 8:00 PM
On sentry safes can the door be removed. I have to lug this sucker up stairs.

Wumpscut223
03-27-2006, 8:07 PM
I saw 4 of those after breakins... they looked like a pepsi can vs. hunting knife... totally torn opean.. cut with reciprocating saws and grinders... 25min jobs... I was going to get one. Now, I have one from Liberty, better warranty, better safe, better service. Don't give your money to Walmart.

ldivinag
04-02-2006, 8:26 PM
actually, check your local LOWES. they sell these puppies there too...

Mud
04-02-2006, 9:25 PM
Home Depot has them for $369 (14 Gun), and if you sign up for their Credit Card you get an additional 10% off. Saw them at Campbell Home Depot.
Good Luck.

Bobshouse
04-03-2006, 5:38 PM
I saw 4 of those after breakins... they looked like a pepsi can vs. hunting knife... totally torn opean.. cut with reciprocating saws and grinders... 25min jobs... I was going to get one. Now, I have one from Liberty, better warranty, better safe, better service. Don't give your money to Walmart.

and Liberty safes can't be opened with reciprocating saws and grinders? Get real, I've cut through 1" thick steel bars with a grinder. If someone wants your guns, Liberty or Sentry will not stop them. Course you don't see kids running around the neighborhood with saws and grinders...and you very rarely see the professional thief outside of Beverly Hills or some equal opportunity neighborhood.

Bob

snobordr
04-03-2006, 5:58 PM
and Liberty safes can't be opened with reciprocating saws and grinders? Get real, I've cut through 1" thick steel bars with a grinder

Bob

Sure, if ya have 15 hours, you can cut anything open. I think that was the point. The thicker safes with hardened plates and bars make the job take much longer.

TMC
04-03-2006, 8:46 PM
Makita angle grinder the size of a drill with a cut-off wheel will go through a 3/16" thick leaf spring in about 2 minutes. Ask me how I know.

QuickOnTheDraw
04-03-2006, 8:59 PM
Makita angle grinder the size of a drill with a cut-off wheel will go through a 3/16" thick leaf spring in about 2 minutes. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

Josh
04-03-2006, 9:22 PM
all a lock or safe does is buy you time. Nothing is burglar proof.

NoTime2Shoot
04-04-2006, 7:01 PM

Concrete saw with a 14" cut-off blade.......

stator
04-04-2006, 8:31 PM

Anybody remember the fire in San Marcos, Carlsbad area several years back that burnt down some homes? Well, Liberty safes are way over-priced safes... really nothing special than the marketing of the name. Please do not ask how I know.

taloft
04-04-2006, 8:48 PM
Get a security system.
Put a nice big smoke detector right over the safe. That way, when they start grinding they set it off. It might just scare them away. If it is tied into the security system, you might get a fire response. Rig it to the main panel so, that the main trips if it is set off. Hard to use power tools with no power, you're screwed if they have cordless gear.

morepoop4u
04-04-2006, 9:56 PM
This will just be a storage container, nothing more. Hell its just a little more $$$ than those tin can stack on security cabinets. I don't worry about thieves or kids getting to them, besides I set up my security systems in my house with cameras and motion sensors. I can also check on my house where ever in the world on my pda or computer via the internet.

onley11
04-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Seems like such a good idea, I'm suprised I haven't heard of it before. Shutting off the main panel when the smoke detector goes off. Brilliant. Wonder how many electrical fires by computers could be prevented by that. Any Idea how to wire that?

kantstudien
04-05-2006, 6:43 PM
Guys, are any of these safes radiation proof? Cause if not, I am going to live in a missile silo.

radioactivelego
04-06-2006, 1:32 AM
Guys, are any of these safes radiation proof? Cause if not, I am going to live in a missile silo.No dude all it does is buy you time just like how it only protects your guns from ebola for 15 minutes tops.

m2hbvic
04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
A co-worker buddy who runs a welding business on the side told me that a plasma cutter will cut open any safe quicker and easier than any kind of saw can.
Vic

CACitUP
04-13-2006, 8:37 AM

The fact is that any safe is succeptable to this type of attack. Having seen it first hand and talking to the detectives they stated that paying for the best safe is no more protection than buying a cheap locker. All safes can be drilled and peeled. Best protection is making your safe or guns hard to find in the first place. Casual thieves will not defeat a simple safe like Sentry.

Nak
04-13-2006, 9:46 PM
A co-worker buddy who runs a welding business on the side told me that a plasma cutter will cut open any safe quicker and easier than any kind of saw can.
Vic

Okay, well you lug your plasma cutter up to my second story building, and lug your generator up there too. I don't think anybody will notice you... especially my neighbors.

After you lug 600lbs of equipment up the stairs, have at it.

Apeman88
04-17-2006, 12:35 AM
I have a Sentry and a Cannon safe... while both can be broken into, I'll bet it'll take a lot more time with the Cannon. A better safe buys you more time... and time is something a theive does not have.

And BTW... they do make portable plasma cutters the size of a small welder weighing less than 50lbs. that can cut 3/16" steel like butter. Sentry uses steel thinner than 3/16"... Cannon is 1/4"... still can be cut with a larger portable plasma cutter weighing less than 100lb... like I said... a better safe require more effort to break into... that's all... but I think it's worth the extra $$ for a better safe.

just my $0.02cent

Ken

rod
04-19-2006, 9:19 AM
If someone wants to break into my safe....go for it. I hope they survive my 150 lb Rottweiler so I can finish them off. I live in a decent neighborhood and don't have to worry about professional thieves hauling around plasma cutters and big saws. Most residential burglaries are committed by tweekers looking for some quick items to pawn. I haven't heard of any tweekers smart enough to operate a light switch let alone a plasma cutter. My safe protects my guns from tweekers and small children.

odysseus
04-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Just to add on to the heaps of comments, a safe only buys you time. The more you buy generally means you are buying more time and complications for a perp. I am not saying either that an extra $1000 will buy you more time than another safe, since not all is equal- buyer beware.

Security is about layers. Lack of visibility, ease of entry, unsecure doors/windows/locks, obvious signs of not being home, inside information on what you have, no home alarm, no safe, safe is not bolted, etc.

All kinds of factors need to be kept in mind. Someone with just a unobvious stack-on cabinet with a dog, steel frames and doors, and home alarm system that has a fairly unknown stash is probably going to fair better than the guy with a safe in his garage that everyone knows about with a wooden easily kicked door to the garage with his power tools next to the safe, that everyone in the neighboorhod knows has a nice gun collection he brags about.

accordingtoome
04-20-2006, 11:58 PM
A safe does just buy you time.. i live in a O.K. neighborhood and i have the Sentry 14 gun safe. bolted twice to the wall and twice to the floor. I also built a very, very large IKEA Indoor closet on the other side of the safe so now its snug to the wall. To get it in my room i had to move a ton of furniture in the front room and the hallway. To get it throught the hallway i had to turn it sideways with four friends just to get it buy the first of two corners. Once in my room i loaded the bottom with about 50lbs of lead (has a removable bottom thingy) so loaded with all that and with guns it now weights a lil over 400 lbs.. im guessing

The averge person that breaks into a house has no clue on how to open a safe. Thats the only reason i bought it. for the average thief. the people that break into the houses in my neighborhood are usually just crackheads looking for a quick score.

Its not a 100% but its a lot of work

chunger
04-21-2006, 3:40 AM
I haven't heard of any tweekers smart enough to operate a light switch let alone a plasma cutter.

Can you use a pencil to draw lines? You can use a plasma cutter :)

But, if they have to foresight to know you have the safe and the contents of that safe, and they have the tenacity to purchase these expen$ive tools and bring them and quickly put them to work to defeat your safe in a reasonable timeframe with minimal noise, . . . you're probably not dealing with 99% of criminals and have bigger things to worry about than the safe at that point.

Cato
04-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Have them order you one and have it sent to a local wal-mart near you. Thats what I did. They even ordered the wrong one, so I paid $350 for an $800 14 gun safe!!!

You did this here in California? I just tried that at my local Duarte Walmart and they said they don't do that in California. "It's only done in Texas and Colorado." Maybe my Walmart Associate doesn't know what he's talking about?

wilit
04-22-2006, 12:27 PM
There seems to be a lot of talk about being able to break into a safe, and the ammount of time it takes to do it. Anybody have any statistics on how many safes per year are actually broken into? I can't seem to find any stats.

And knowing how smart 90% of the criminals are that are out there, they're more likely to just try and make off with the entire safe rather than attempt to break into it.

Pido11
04-25-2006, 8:06 PM
Anybody could break in a safe. It's the time you are you are buying. I have one of this safe and I feel safe about it. If anybody tries to break in and I'm there sleeping or something...good luck! He will have to face my 12 gauge mossberg, if not, alarm is always on. I got the safe more for my kids getting to it.

wutzu
04-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Plasma cutters work well, so would an Oxy-Fuel cutting torch. There is a fume hazard associated with both these processes though, not to mention finding a way to cut open a safe without screwing up what's inside.

caliar15
04-30-2006, 5:00 PM
I have a Sentry and a Cannon safe... while both can be broken into, I'll bet it'll take a lot more time with the Cannon. A better safe buys you more time... and time is something a theive does not have.

And BTW... they do make portable plasma cutters the size of a small welder weighing less than 50lbs. that can cut 3/16" steel like butter. Sentry uses steel thinner than 3/16"... Cannon is 1/4"... still can be cut with a larger portable plasma cutter weighing less than 100lb... like I said... a better safe require more effort to break into... that's all... but I think it's worth the extra $$ for a better safe.

just my $0.02cent

Ken
The steel on my sentry is 3/16,not thinner than. Another 1/16 is nothing as far as getting through the body is concerned

adamsreeftank
05-09-2006, 12:12 AM
The main thing about getting into a safe is that the front is generally thicker than the sides, top, and back. You may have 1/4 inch steel door and surround, but the sides may be less than 1/8. You could probably get into most cheap safes with a cold chisel and a hammer through the sides. You also only need to make a hole big enough to reach in and grab stuff.

The main thing a gun safe does is keep your family safe and reduce your liability if your guns are stolen and used in a crime.