PDA

View Full Version : Range cleanups - step it up!

Pyrodyne
06-08-2010, 9:03 PM
I've been looking over the cleanup threads and have come to a few conclusions.

1) It is HARD to get many people to all agree to appear, and actually appear on the same day, time and place.

2) A single-day, concentrated effort might be better spent and less frustrating.

So, what I would like to see, if you go shooting on public land, bring some cleanup equipment, some spares for others. Cleanup as much as you care to, get a good workout. Make a single large pile of anything you can't (or don't want to) haul. Encourage others to join in cleaning. Direct them to calguns for the formal cleanup, BBQ/Lunch and shoot.

Separate electronic waste and tires from the general pile. These must be disposed of at approved locations - ewaste recyclers, tire shops. Try to establish communications with these entities before performing major cleanups.

Arrange for trash container(s) to be delivered once you have a sizable enough pile of trash, or organize a hauler and proper dump site. Gather all the volunteers you can, move trash from pile to can, cleanup any graffiti you can and call it a day - have BBQ/Lunch, shoot, fun.

If we can get more motivated to make smaller cleanups to prepare the waste for a one-day effort to get the trash disposed of, the actual cleanup events can be reduced in work time and maximized for fun.

Forest Service can setup you up as a volunteer for an indeterminate amount of time. It looks like first aid / CPR training is a requirement. This can free up cleanup project leaders to setup the time/date without too much red tape if you want FS cooperation.

Be warned - operating heavy machinery without written permission or a permit may result in fines. Yes, it's completely batty since the reasoning is environmental impact, and you are in the process of cleaning up. If your local controlling interest is willing to jump the hoops to allow faster and more complete cleanups - go for it!

Public education - encourage others to purchase or build steel targets and holders for durable, reusable targets. These can and should be left alone during cleanups if they are still usable or can be made usable.

Instruct your volunteers to leave bio-degradable trash and focus on glass, plastics, metals, e-waste, etc. Paper, wood, natural mattress fillers can be left to fertilize the soil.

If you have reloaders in the group, pick brass in their calibers.

If you can, find a recycling shop and find out what they will take what you commonly find. Minor revenues can be had to fund future events and CGF donations :)

Edited 06-11 with updates.

rjf
06-16-2010, 9:58 PM
What is the deal with computers and electronics? These get shot up and only the mangled case and some motherboard pieces are left. What is the requirement for this trash? I bag it and toss in the dumpster. If they make the recycle BS too hard, or turn away this trash, it's harder to want to cleanup. I wasn't sure about dumping the computer trash, but there was no problem. I will get the rest next time.

I just picked up four sections of a fiberglass kids slide, metal drawers, beer bottles, and some small computer trash. Next time I will get the office chair, metal cabinet frame, computer chassis, shot gun hulls and other trash. Are these people retarded?

Payment was 400+ 9mm cases, 35 308, 100+ 223 and other assorted brass. Too bad I don't have a 9. yet.

Pyrodyne
08-03-2010, 8:09 PM
What is the deal with computers and electronics? These get shot up and only the mangled case and some motherboard pieces are left. What is the requirement for this trash? I bag it and toss in the dumpster. If they make the recycle BS too hard, or turn away this trash, it's harder to want to cleanup. I wasn't sure about dumping the computer trash, but there was no problem. I will get the rest next time.

e-waste needs to be disposed of with electronics recyclers. You can generally find many in the phone book or google them. Some will refuse to take shot up stuff that has ragged edges that their employees could get cut on.

I just picked up four sections of a fiberglass kids slide, metal drawers, beer bottles, and some small computer trash. Next time I will get the office chair, metal cabinet frame, computer chassis, shot gun hulls and other trash. Are these people retarded?

Payment was 400+ 9mm cases, 35 308, 100+ 223 and other assorted brass. Too bad I don't have a 9. yet.

If it can't be reloaded, it can be recycled for cash. Brass brings a pretty decent price and if you find enough it can cover gas and lunch!

Kerplow
08-04-2010, 12:13 AM
i tried to step it up! nobody wants to play with me.:(
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=325997