PDA

View Full Version : Reported Problems with .50 BMG registration letters...

RRangel
03-26-2006, 7:11 PM
As some of you may know the letters that have returned from the CA DOJ may have some discrepencies in them as reported by the Fifty Caliber Institute. If you're having problems with your confirmation letters you are encouraged to contact the Firearms Licensing and Permits Unit.

The problem it seems is when they receive their letters back from the CA Dept of Justice (DOJ) there are what appear to be inaccuracies in the document regarding the Make, Model and Serial Numbers of the firearms being registered. FCI referred the case of one supporter to a CA based law firm who has a very good record in defending the rights of fire arms owners in CA.

http://www.fiftycal.org/california.php

stealthmode
03-27-2006, 1:02 AM
Thanks for the info I should be getting my letter soon from them from my registration.

scott.cr
03-28-2006, 10:34 PM
When I received my .50BMG letter, one of the serial numbers was listed incorrectly. I sent another letter with the correction but have not heard back.

stevie
03-29-2006, 5:24 AM
On mine the serial numbers were all correct, but one model was wrong. I wrote 50A and it came back 50.

RRangel
03-29-2006, 5:35 PM
If something is wrong with the way your rifles have been listed I would contact the DOJ about it. This may be a potential problem for you in the future.

Pont
03-29-2006, 8:49 PM
Indeed. Intentional or not (am I being paranoid), the errors on the registration could later be used to give you serious grief.

"I'm sorry, you submitted incorrect information on your registration. It is therefore invalid. Therefore you are in criminal posession of a .50 caliber rifle and are under arrest."

Any of you guys registering your .50's should make photocopies of your original registration forms before you send them in.

bwiese
03-30-2006, 8:12 AM
Indeed. Intentional or not (am I being paranoid), the errors on the registration could later be used to give you serious grief.

"I'm sorry, you submitted incorrect information on your registration. It is therefore invalid. Therefore you are in criminal posession of a .50 caliber rifle and are under arrest."

Any of you guys registering your .50's should make photocopies of your original registration forms before you send them in.

Yes, you should keep copies and you should send in via registered mail/return receipt.

If you don't hear something within a few weeks, call and inquire.

If there are any questions about your reg, the DOJ will ask you for clarification. You have 15 days to respond (legally mandated).

tcrpe
03-30-2006, 3:25 PM
Yes, you should keep copies and you should send in via registered mail/return receipt.

If you don't hear something within a few weeks, call and inquire.

If there are any questions about your reg, the DOJ will ask you for clarification. You have 15 days to respond (legally mandated).

"Call and inquire"?

I disagree.

When dealing with the government, always in writing.

RRangel
03-30-2006, 4:45 PM
Another funny thing is that the registration form requires you to write down what is on the receiver in regard to model. Some rifles like Mcmillan don't have a model designation on the receiver. Maybe they wanted a sure way to identify the gun?

Turbinator
03-31-2006, 9:53 PM
Darnit, Target Masters ran out of copies of the reg form - but the guy told me that I can go online and download a reg form. WRONG!! I didn't see inline and specific DOJ instructions say to get the form from your local FFL. Geez.

Also, what are people doing for the thumbprint that you need to submit with the reg?

Turby

artherd
03-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes, you MUST use the DOJ-supplied form on manilla cardstock.

stevie
04-05-2006, 9:21 AM
Went to the DOJ website and sent a message about the wrong model, just got a phone call from them (3 days later or so). They are updating the paperwork for myself and my wife (which i sent registration form in last week). DOJ will be sending new copies out today for both of us. Thats good service. She was very polite on the phone, sorry did not catch the name.

Turbinator
04-06-2006, 8:06 AM
Ok, since no one answered my question, I did some work myself :)

I called the DOJ yesterday and requested a couple of forms. On the thumbprint, you can do this yourself or at the local FFL's shop, just use the inkpad that they use for DROS'ing and you should be ok.

Turby

bu-bye
04-06-2006, 9:51 AM
OK I need to send mine off TODAY. Its a Fab-10 but I remember reading on some post about problems with FAB-10's and the MFG's name. I did a search but could not find it.

What did you guys put? Shoeless Ventures? My letter says CMS

Also how exact does the date you bought it need to be? I bought mine way back in 01-02 I think, but I can't for the life of me remember what day or even month.

stevie
04-06-2006, 9:59 AM
no idea on the name issue. but used month/year and that was fine

bu-bye
04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Just noticed, My receiver says "CMS Engine Services" so I guess I sould put that right?

DRM6000
04-06-2006, 11:14 AM
cms engine service is fine. they were later bought by shoeless ventures. i have one of each.

dwtt
04-07-2006, 6:37 PM
Hi folks,
I received an update from the Fifty Caliber Institute by email. I'm copying and pasting it here and hope some would find it useful.
--------------------------------

Earlier this year, FCI board member and Trutanich - Michel, LLP attorney Jason Davis was informed of a letter from the California Department of Justice ("CADOJ") in response to an individual inquiry regarding multi-caliber receivers and the .50 BMG registration requirements. The CADOJ letter was dated October 15, 2004 and was signed by CADOJ Firearms Division Field Representative David Witt. The letter stated that multi-caliber registrations would not be accepted. Click below to see the CADOJ October 15, 2004 letter.

(Pg 1) http://fiftycal.org/content/DOJletter1.jpg

(Pg 2) http://fiftycal.org/content/DOJletter2.jpg

In response to the CADOJ, multiple inquiries were received from the general public. Mr. Davis then sent an inquiry to the CADOJ requesting further clarification of the .50 BMG laws on March 2, 2006. Mr. Davis' letter included requests for clarification of the CADOJ's position on various combinations of receivers and parts, and whether each combination was required to be registered under California law. The request also inquired whether a combination that was prohibited from being registered, such as the multi-caliber receiver referenced in the Witt letter, would still be a .50 BMG rifle for the purposes of prosecution.

On April 6, 2006, Mr. Davis received the CADOJ's position on the various combinations. The official position denounces the earlier Witt letter and also identifies their position on the various combinations. This letter marks a change in policy from the Witt opinion as well as identifies, in a conflicting fashion, the responsibility of .50 BMG rifle owners and multi-caliber rifle (that accept .50 BMG uppers) owners to register their firearm. Click below to see the CADOJ April 6, 2006 letter.

http://fiftycal.org/content/JD_50BMG_Letter_Registration.pdf

This latest letter demonstrates the complicated and confusing nature of the California .50 BMG law. Mr. Davis has informed FCI that he will continue to seek clarification of the matters discussed in the letter. But to ensure that there is no potential for criminal liability; FCI recommends that any person in the State of California in possession of any .50 BMG receiver or any receiver capable of accepting a .50 BMG receiver register their receiver, regardless of whether it is "fully functional."

FCI would also like to emphasize to all 50 BMG owners in CA that the deadline for registration is rapidly approaching. Don't put off the registration process any longer. The last day to register is April 30, 2006. To obtain a registration form, visit your local firearms dealer.

Please support our efforts in California and other states to protect your rights to own the .50 caliber. You can help fund this cause by visiting our web pages (below), or by phone donations to 405-769-7851, or by mail-in donations to "FCI, PO Box 1128, Choctaw, OK, 73020."

Your support is critical.

http://www.50cal.org/support.php

http://www.50cal.org/events.php

Keith Pagel
Executive Director,
Fifty Caliber Institute

Rumpled
04-07-2006, 7:45 PM
Damn, just read 8 pages of Q&A that was very confusing and very contradictory.
DOJ can't even make sense of their own policies.

jmlivingston
04-07-2006, 9:14 PM
Another thing to remember: the check that goes with the form! :o

I was so intent on making sure it was filled out correctly and sent certified mail and all that, and I forgot to put the check in the envelope! Had a form letter sent back, with a box checked next to a statement saying that the check wasn't included. Apparently I'm not the only bonehead to forget this! Next thing I know, I'll go to the range and forget my guns! :rolleyes:

John

jmlivingston
04-07-2006, 9:19 PM
Damn, just read 8 pages of Q&A that was very confusing and very contradictory.
DOJ can't even make sense of their own policies.

Seems they are struggling/contradicting themselves with the concept of a "fully functional and serialized receiver".

John

psssniper
04-08-2006, 12:10 AM
I forgot to put my check in the envelope along with the reg form and started to walk away when it hit me! Went back to window ripped open the envelope and started over this time with a check inside. No you're not the only one:)

adamsreeftank
04-08-2006, 1:57 AM
Another thing to remember: the check that goes with the form! :o

I was so intent on making sure it was filled out correctly and sent certified mail and all that, and I forgot to put the check in the envelope! Had a form letter sent back, with a box checked next to a statement saying that the check wasn't included. Apparently I'm not the only bonehead to forget this! Next thing I know, I'll go to the range and forget my guns! :rolleyes:

John

That's probably the only thing you could do that would GUARANTEE your registration would be denied.:D

tenpercentfirearms
04-09-2006, 9:07 AM
I got my letter back and it says the manufacturer of my FAB10 is USA. I clearly put Shoeless Ventures. Guess what? I don't care. The serial number is the same and if they screw it up, no big deal to me. Heck I don't even have an upper for it and I don't know if I ever will. I just wanted to be able to get a .50 BMG someday if I want to. Since I am an FFL and get killer discounts, someday I probably will just not anytime soon. I have an LMT MRP to pay for first and a few EOTechs. I need to pace myself.

Everyone who has a FAB-10 they purchased before 1/1/05 should register it. Don't kid yourselves that they don't already know who everyone is. If you have DROSed a handgun in this state in the last few years, they have your name and number. So who cares if they know you have a FAB-10? Buy one just to do it and then start trying to get your bonehead friends to vote correctly. What else can you do?