PDA

View Full Version : AR Question

thook
03-26-2006, 5:05 PM
I am originally from socal but have been travelling with the military for the past 20 years. I have a Bushy AR and a MAK 90 that I have owned since the 96 and 94 respectively. I lived in San Diego with both of these guns and several 30 round mags for each from 96-99. We are getting stationed back in CA (wife is now active duty and I am out) what do I need to do registration wise with my guns to stay legal with the man? Thanks!

spaceburger
03-26-2006, 5:26 PM
certain law enforcement and military are allowed to own and posess AW's.

http://www.post.ca.gov/siteMap/default.asp#regulations

grammaton76
03-26-2006, 6:58 PM
I am originally from socal but have been travelling with the military for the past 20 years. I have a Bushy AR and a MAK 90 that I have owned since the 96 and 94 respectively. I lived in San Diego with both of these guns and several 30 round mags for each from 96-99. We are getting stationed back in CA (wife is now active duty and I am out) what do I need to do registration wise with my guns to stay legal with the man? Thanks!

Depending on where your wife's driver's license is from, she MAY be able to get a military assault weapons permit and register the weapons to herself. If her license is CA or someplace else where she can't have the weapons, at the time you move into the state, she's out of luck. However, as soon as she gets out, you'll have to get rid of the weapons or move out of state to keep them. And as they're registered to her, I believe it becomes a felony for you to transport them or shoot them without her being present. You may perhaps be able to do some kinda joint-registration ninjitsu though... dunno.

Now, if you happened to have been around in 2000 and actually reg'ed the weapons, you're absolutely in the clear.

The mags... well, really good question there since you bought them pre-2000.

You can leave the state with your mags and come back with your mags, but I think that's only supposed to be for trips and such, not actual moves.

Nick5811
03-27-2006, 8:31 PM
My question, and I'm not sure if you answered it yet, but

Where were you during the great kali AW registration funfare in the begining of 2000?

My point would be that if you were stationed at North Island you may be out of luck, but if you were in Norfolk or on ship somewhere, you could claim "I didn't know anything about the registration since I wasn't living in Kali."

That whole "Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act" can really help a guy out sometimes! I would probably call the DOJ and ask just to be "safe".

grammaton76
03-28-2006, 1:18 AM
My point would be that if you were stationed at North Island you may be out of luck, but if you were in Norfolk or on ship somewhere, you could claim "I didn't know anything about the registration since I wasn't living in Kali."

That whole "Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act" can really help a guy out sometimes! I would probably call the DOJ and ask just to be "safe".

I kind of doubt this would work. I have a friend who was in Japan in 2000, and a CA resident, at which point CA DOJ absolutely refused to process his AW registration for his AR-15's.

They insisted he had to be physically in the state in order to register his guns, even though he was a Californian serving overseas, active duty. I doubt they'd have any sympathy for the other guy, since his case is similar...