PDA

View Full Version : AK Build Legality?

insin
03-26-2006, 4:05 PM
I am sorta lost on this topic. Despite the fact 3 days ago, I started Dros on a Yugo and AKM straight stock AK recievers while I was adding another AR lower to my collection. However, I thought I would find an answer as to the legality of their builds by searching here. I still have not really found an answer.

I understand the part regaurding a certain # of US made parts are neccesary. BUT, would adding those parts, plus a 10 rnd mag be okay to take my newly built AK to the range? Is there such a thing as a CA legal AK?

I know that I should have researched this more before hand, but the drive to the FFL is 1.5 hours one way and I didnt want to return after searching. 2 AK recievers ended up costing less then the AR lower. No biggie.

Thanks

blacklisted
03-26-2006, 4:14 PM
Currently there are a few ways you could go about making a California legal AK:

Blocked gas port removes the semi-automatic status, and allows for pistol grip + detachable mag. Must be manually cycled.

Fixed mag allows for a semi-automatic firearm with pistol grip. I have no idea how you could efficiently load an AK with a fixed magazine.

No pistol grip, makes the gun nearly impossible to fire, but allows for detachable magazine.

Keep the receivers stripped until this situation is resolved, then there is a chance of using them in their proper configuration.

In my opinion, the final option is the best option.

The whole "US made parts" game is a Federal issue, and I'm not too clear on it. I'm sure someone here can clarify.

AirborneStranger
03-26-2006, 4:19 PM
i'm letting my AK receiver hang out until the smoke clears. I am having enough fun playing cowboys and indians with my AR, the AK can wait.

insin
03-26-2006, 4:27 PM
So what exactly is the situation? Is it similar to the AR listing situation?

blacklisted
03-26-2006, 4:31 PM
So what exactly is the situation? Is it similar to the AR listing situation?

It's not similar, it is the same.

AR/AK series can both be updated by the Attorney General.

grammaton76
03-26-2006, 5:45 PM
Bear in mind that due to the way the AK's built, you can leave off the pistol grip without making any permanent mods - it's just leaving a part off, not putting any new holes anywhere.

insin
03-26-2006, 6:09 PM
Bear in mind that due to the way the AK's built, you can leave off the pistol grip without making any permanent mods - it's just leaving a part off, not putting any new holes anywhere.

Sounds like the best plan untill later

shopkeep
03-26-2006, 7:16 PM
The one cool thing about cali-legal fixed mag AKs is that the fixed magazine counts as US Parts :D!