PDA

View Full Version : .50BMG reg results

artherd
03-26-2006, 12:24 PM
I recieved my .50BMG rifle registration confirmation today. (and stuck many copies in several secure locations.)

Probally a meaningless tidbit: I had listed all calibers as "MULTI", and when the paper came back "50" was in the caliber field for every single one. not ".50BMG" just "50".

There's nothing in statute law prohibiting me from putting say a .22LR upper on, so it's a pertinently moot and only mildly burecratically interesting point.

bu-bye
03-26-2006, 12:34 PM
I still have yet to send my card in:mad:

I really got to get it out in the next week or so.

RRangel
03-26-2006, 1:00 PM
The DOJ letter I received has the make of the rifles I registered different from what I wrote on the registration form. They list McMillan Gunworks instead of McMillan Bros that's on the reciever. The serial numbers are good though.

artherd
03-26-2006, 9:27 PM
Seems they are using AFS names for firearms...

unimog_88
03-27-2006, 9:06 AM
I registered my Ferrett F-50 and the make on the reply letter said "Spider Firearm". ANyway, they are the same.:)

50 Shooter
03-27-2006, 9:09 AM
So are you saying you registered the upper or a lower? The upper doesn't have to be registered and if you had a registered AW lower you didn't have to reg. it either.

unimog_88
03-27-2006, 9:15 AM
So are you saying you registered the upper or a lower? The upper doesn't have to be registered and if you had a registered AW lower you didn't have to reg. it either.

I think waht we are talking about here are all "completed and functioning" lower receivers. It's nothing to do with uppers.

LOW2000
03-27-2006, 9:24 AM
What would happen if you tried to register an AR lower purchased this year?

What would be the worst that would happen? They deny it?

If they send it back approved, are you good to go based on their bureaucratic screwup and you can then put a .50 upper on?

If its registered as a .50, then you later register it as an AW, will there be a conflict?

unimog_88
03-27-2006, 9:28 AM

Obviously, it's a big NO-NO.

If they send it back approved, are you good to go based on their bureaucratic screwup and you can then put a .50 upper on?

If its registered as a .50, then you later register it as an AW, will there be a conflict?

You may try and let us know the results.:)

50 Shooter
03-27-2006, 10:21 AM
No, the law states that if you have a registered AW lower you don't need to register it again as a .50 BMG AW. Likewise a .50 BMG upper doesn't have serial numbers and is not considered a weapon/firearm. You can buy as many as you want, just like any other upper.

You can register a FAB-10 or DPMS (no mag) lower or any other pinned mag lower as a .50 BMG AW if it was purchased/DROS'd prior to 01/01/05. If it was purchased after and you put a .50 BMG upper on it you're in violation.

ohsmily
03-27-2006, 10:24 AM

I haven't seen the reg forms, but I am sure there is a signature line on it affirming the above information is correct and in compliance with law. So, how about perjury for sending in an invalid registration form in an attempt to circumvent the law....

LOW2000
03-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Then if you had a stripped lower through the harrot loophole that you owned prior to the .50 cutoff and you could reg it as a .50, then why can't you reg say a 10/22 since you could technically modify it later to shoot a .50bmg the same as you're going to later modify the AR lower to fire a .50bmg?

Obviously, I havn't read the statute nor do I own a .50, but I just like posing these sorts of questions which may poke holes in weak legislation like this.

ohsmily
03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Then if you had a stripped lower through the harrot loophole that you owned prior to the .50 cutoff and you could reg it as a .50, then why can't you reg say a 10/22 since you could technically modify it later to shoot a .50bmg the same as you're going to later modify the AR lower to fire a .50bmg?

Obviously, I havn't read the statute nor do I own a .50, but I just like posing these sorts of questions which may poke holes in weak legislation like this.

Well, you can't modify a 10/22 to fire 50BMG. If you did, you would have to create an entirely new firearm to do so. The lower receiver is the firearm in the case of the ar-15, and thus adding a different upper to it isn't creating a new firearm. So, if you owned the gun (the lower) prior to the cutoff date, then adding a new upper wouldn't be creating a new gun after the cutoff and therefore, you can reg the lower as a 50 if you had it prior to the cutoff.

I understand your curiosity, but think it through before you ask a question. Again, you would essentially have to create an entirely new gun to make a 10/22 into a 50bmg. If you did that PRIOR to the cutoff, then fine, reg your ccustom built 50bmg that you made out of a 10/22. But if you do it after the cutoff, you have manufactured a 50bmg and violate the law.

artherd
03-27-2006, 9:38 PM
Besides or in addition to commiting fraud, purjury by decleration, and presumeably at least a constructive felony Unregistered .50BMG Rifle Posession violation if you actually put a .50 upper on?

I'd say the worst would be 3 consecutive prison sentences and permanent felon status.

NO

If its registered as a .50, then you later register it as an AW, will there be a connflict?
This does not make English.

artherd
03-27-2006, 9:41 PM
DOJ has opined that the standard for acceptance of a registration for a .50BMG rifle is that of a reciever (or serialized component) that is 'fully functional'.

Hypothetically speaking, if you could take your hypothetical 10/22 and strip it down to the serialized component, then add parts to that component, and end up with a .50BMG rifle, then you're good to go.

If you have to hacksaw the reciever, then you would have had to have had it in the hacksawed configuration prior to 1/1/2005.

For instance, I could take a McMillian .50BMG sized action that's fully functional and serialized, but has no barrel (or has a .22LR barrel), and reg it as a .50BMG.

I probally could NOT take a Remington 700 serialized action and do the same, because said action would require more machien work to be able to accept the .50BMG bolt.

Then again, it was 'fully functional' in say .30-06 as far as being a firearm and not an 80%...

Damn you DOJ! :0)

artherd
03-27-2006, 9:46 PM

I Reg'd a Fully Functional Serialized Reciever as a .50BMG Rifle. I put "MULTI" in the 'caliber' field.

My registration letter came back with MAKE:<make> MODEL:<model> CALIBER: "50".

I put "MULTI" on the form.

No big deal, just a clerical noteable fact, since nothing prohibits me from putting a .223 or .22LR barrel on my reciever.