PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a honest Metric Bike Mechanic

T-Bear
06-07-2010, 9:03 PM
Located in the 562 area code, Looking to get some work done to my bike, cams, internal wiring, lighting, powder coating.

Well I went with my regular guy for the past 3 years, I just got blown off twice this past weekend. Did not even give me time of day to speak with me. Anyways looking for a motorcycle mech. to do some work. If you or anyone you know that wants to earn some cash please let me know.

Thanks a bunch

Klarus Lights USA
06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I own and aftermarket performance shop. I could help you with most of those things. If your willing to help me do it. Mind you it would have to be in my spare time. Also what type of wiring or lighting are you trying to add.

T-Bear
06-08-2010, 7:47 PM
I would be more than willing to help in the process. I'm your simple garage type mechanic. But as for tearing into an engine and doing some wiring, that is not me but I will help along the way.

I;ll shoot you a pm with more details.

ojisan
06-08-2010, 7:58 PM
What make model etc?
Internal wiring? (Bobber?)

T-Bear
06-08-2010, 8:55 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/wrathje/v%20star/IMG_0600.jpghttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/wrathje/v%20star/IMG_0603.jpg

It's a 06 Yamaha Classic vstar Running 2 carbs
Currently it only has aftermarket pipes and air with a rejet.

I am looking to install some mild cams, that is a stright swap out for the stock ones. So no other springs or pistons needed.

The handlebar controls are stock with internal wiring that comes out in front of the tree. I want to install some Harley controls and the internal wiring through the back of the tree. Other owners have done this in the past and I have a manual and it only requires some minor slicing to make the Harley controls work.

In its current stage the choke cable runs up to the bars and are on the controls, but with Harley controls it does not have a place for it. So I would like the choke cable gone and replaced with a pull out unit on the motor itself. Elimnating that cable.

It runs dual front brake lines from the master cylinder to each left and right brake. I want to run a single brake cable from the master cylinder to the back of the tree then split into 2 lines for the left and right brake.

In it's current stage it runs dual throttle cables, with a return cable on it. I just want 1 cable as well.

Replace the headlight with a aftermarket one.

Now I have all these parts comming in the following weeks so about 95% of the parts will be in hand, minus some electrical connectors and brackets that it will probably need.
I really just want to clean up the front end of the bike with all these cables. To only 3 cables showing, clutch, 1 brake line, 1 throttle and I am willing to help all I can and I know it will take some time so if it will be a side job like after work or on the weekends, that is good to go.

I don't think I'm asking for much but if your in the know how on how to do these projects I'm all for helping.

ojisan
06-10-2010, 4:41 PM
Been there, done that.

1100???

Cams: may require engine lowering to reach the rear cylinder and have room to work. Have you checked the shop manual on this one? Sometimes a cam change does require some rejetting.

Controls: always takes longer than expected. Having the right parts helps, wrong parts means lots of extra work. Do you have a kit to eliminate the choke cable or does this all need to be made from scratch?

Wiring: another time consumer. Not so hard, just has to be done right the first time. If you will use early Harley switches, with turn signal switches on the right and left bars (instead of left side switch only like your current one), new wiring will have to be made and added.

Headlight: usually a smaller one is wanted. The catch here is the original head light bucket is always packed full of wiring and bulky plastic multi-pin connectors. Trying to fit this mess inside a smaller housing bucket may be impossible and require relocating wiring / removing the multi-pin connectors to make more room, and possibly modifying the main wiring harness itself to allow relocation of components or connectors from inside the headlight bucket to under the tank or seat.

Brake lines: easy if the parts are right. Be sure to check compatablity with your front brake light switch or get a new switch that will work with the accessory parts.

Order a kit of metric connectors on-line. My local store sells the connectors for $9 for 10 pieces, way too much. You may need 20-30 connectors and the rubber boots to insulate them.

This is real live work...it may be mostly cosmetic, but that does not lessen the need to do it right or shorten the time it actually takes. Your regular guy may know this...he may be guessing it will take twice as long as you are willing to pay for.

Go to PM if you want more info so we don't bore everybody.

radioburning
06-10-2010, 4:58 PM
When you guys are done, I've got a 70's Honda CB needing to be re-wired too.:shifty::threadjacked: