PDA

View Full Version : Any rules/laws about shooting crows?

ZRX61
06-07-2010, 5:38 PM
Just curious, this one bugger is really annoying me...

LloydXmas250
06-07-2010, 5:56 PM
There is a season for them and it's over. Search the DFG website for the season.

base64
06-07-2010, 7:02 PM
Crows in my experience have been one of the hardest birds to shoot when I used to live in the IE.. I don't know if they are just spooked easily or smarter than other birds but it's like they know when I'm aiming at them!

CSACANNONEER
06-07-2010, 7:04 PM
There are laws about shooting any wildlife in CA. It is illegal to shoot or hunt any wildlife in CA unless it is specifically permitted in the fish and game regs.

Shotgun Man
06-07-2010, 7:15 PM
Just curious, this one bugger is really annoying me...

The feds say you're not allowed to shoot them from aircraft.

Federal hunting regulations for crows are defined in 50CFR20.133:
20.133 Hunting regulations for crows.
(a) Crows may be taken, possessed, transported, exported, or imported, only in accordance with such laws or regulations as may be prescribed by a State pursuant to this section.
(b) Except in the State of Hawaii, where no crows shall be taken, States may by statute or regulation prescribe a hunting season for crows. Such State statutes or regulations may set forth the method of taking, the bag and possession limits, the dates and duration of the hunting season, and such other regulations as may be deemed appropriate, subject to the following limitations for each State:
(1) Crows shall not be hunted from aircraft;
(2) The hunting season or seasons on crows shall not exceed a total of 124 days during a calendar year;
(3) Hunting shall not be permitted during the peak crow nesting period within a State; and
(4) Crows may only be taken by firearms, bow and arrow, and falconry.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/new/2003/crow_regs.pdf

LloydXmas250
06-07-2010, 7:48 PM
Haha. From aircraft. I'd love to see that. As for crows, they're considered one of the smartest birds around. Saw some show where a guy trained crows to pick up trash and throw it in a can that senses the trash and then gives them a peanut. Crows did it for about a week before they just started throwing rock in the cans for the peanuts. They're not too dumb.

Cougar125
06-08-2010, 1:26 AM
Check the depredation statutes on DFG website.

olhunter
06-08-2010, 7:09 AM
Make sure it's not a Raven. They're protected. Ravens are much bigger, have wedge shaped tails and spaces between their primaries (wingtip feathers). It looks like fingers sticking out from their wingtips. Also Ravens soar and crows don't for more than a few seconds at a time.

ChaparralCommando
06-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Check the depredation statutes on DFG website.

Yes, if one is really bugging you, it is my understanding you can take it under the "other nuisance" clause of 21.43. You still need a hunting license though. Read the PDF Shotgun man linked

turbogg
06-08-2010, 4:29 PM
There must be 10 million crows where I live. Of course there is no crow hunting allowed in OC.

ZRX61
06-08-2010, 7:46 PM
jeeze, the UK is WAY ahead of the US about crow hunting, you just camp under a roost & keep blasting away until there aren't any.
The one I'm dealing with wants to nest on my dang swamp cooler, which brings up the whole West Nile issue..

Last week I scared it off with the garden hose, tried that again a few days later & the damn thing just stood there taking a shower. I'll be changing the nozzle on the hose to er, *encourage flight*...

Butthead
06-09-2010, 8:50 AM
Some times bad things happen to good crows. :43:

jermedic
06-09-2010, 3:13 PM
Pellet gun? Just saying......

joefreas
06-09-2010, 3:54 PM
I hit some seagulls once in a Piper Arrow. On the bird strike report they asked what color the birds were. I put red- What a mess.:eek:

The feds say you're not allowed to shoot them from aircraft.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/new/2003/crow_regs.pdf

winnre
06-09-2010, 4:01 PM
A rule to know, in case you miss know your backstop!

elevated
06-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Haha. From aircraft. I'd love to see that. As for crows, they're considered one of the smartest birds around. Saw some show where a guy trained crows to pick up trash and throw it in a can that senses the trash and then gives them a peanut. Crows did it for about a week before they just started throwing rock in the cans for the peanuts. They're not too dumb.

wtf thats awesome.

mif_slim
06-10-2010, 12:43 PM
As far as I know (I couldt be wrong), is can only hunt crows on private land where they are causing a havoc on the farmer and he/she gives permission for you to hunt them. Other then that...you can hunt hunt them, but you can also loose your license and gun....but correct me if Im wrong, dont want any FUD...just from what I remmber from reading the DFG handbook.