PDA

View Full Version : 30" Oal...

Lon Moer
03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Can someone post a link to one of the threads where the 30" OAL regulation was noted? Or maybe the DOJ statute?
:)

glen avon
03-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Penal Code section 12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine
with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length
of less than 30 inches.

Lon Moer
03-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Cool, That's close to what I needed.!:)
How about the "stock closed/folded" stipulation?

ohsmily
03-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Cool, That's close to what I needed.!:)
How about the "stock closed/folded" stipulation?

What "stipulation" are you talking about...you have to be more clear...

He posted the law above for you, there are no "stipulations". If your stock is adjustible and it gets shorter than 30 overall inches, then it is in violation.

Ford8N
03-26-2006, 10:56 AM
What "stipulation" are you talking about...you have to be more clear...

He posted the law above for you, there are no "stipulations". If your stock is adjustible and it gets shorter than 30 overall inches, then it is in violation.

In other words, as long as it is not folded, it's ok?

CALI-gula
03-26-2006, 11:01 AM
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.

Lon Moer
03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
So, as long as it's 30+", in it's shortest configuration, it's good. Close enough interpretation for me.
Thanks all.

50BMGBOB
03-26-2006, 4:47 PM
Is there a minimum lenght is in a single shot? Like a Marble Game Getter? I know the barrel lenght but with the folded stock it will fire at about 22-24" long.

ohsmily
03-26-2006, 4:53 PM
Is there a minimum lenght is in a single shot? Like a Marble Game Getter? I know the barrel lenght but with the folded stock it will fire at about 22-24" long.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length
of less than 30 inches.

Did you miss the "SEMI AUTO, CENTER FIRE" part. I am no expert, but hmmmmmmmmmm...I don't think a single shot shot is a semi-auto....

50BMGBOB
03-26-2006, 5:00 PM
I know that that statue did not apply but is there any other. I was told by a dealer that it wasn't legal but he couldn't quote the law. A price guide I check said as long as the barrel lenght is there, many had barrels to short, it was legal. But neither quoted the law.

ohsmily
03-26-2006, 5:59 PM
I know that that statue did not apply but is there any other. I was told by a dealer that it wasn't legal but he couldn't quote the law. A price guide I check said as long as the barrel lenght is there, many had barrels to short, it was legal. But neither quoted the law.

Just read the law, don't worry about what your dealer said. His word doesn't do too well against the actual law.

But, the barrel length is important though too, you can't have a short barreled rifle regardless of whether it is semi auto or not.

paradox
03-26-2006, 6:34 PM
CA PC§12020.
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any ... short-barreled rifle
(c)
(2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of
the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in
length.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(C) Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration,
modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an
overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less
than 16 inches in length.
(D) Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed
cartridge which, when so restored, is a device defined in
subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive.
(E) Any part, or combination of parts, designed and intended to
convert a device into a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C),
inclusive, or any combination of parts from which a device defined in
subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, may be readily assembled if
those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same
person.

50BMGBOB
03-26-2006, 8:51 PM
I guess I should mention for those not fimilar with it that it is an over/under shotgun/rifle in 22LR and 410ga/45LC (smooth bore, no choke). 18' barrel and 22" overall with the stock folded and it will fire with the stock folded. It looks like a long barreled pistol with a folding metal stock attached to the heel of the grip. It is an antique that my grandfather had. It is all original and shoots great. Question is can I have it? If not, if it is kept out of state is it legal?

paradox
03-27-2006, 5:26 AM
I guess I should mention for those not fimilar with it that it is an over/under shotgun/rifle in 22LR and 410ga/45LC (smooth bore, no choke). 18' barrel and 22" overall with the stock folded and it will fire with the stock folded. It looks like a long barreled pistol with a folding metal stock attached to the heel of the grip. It is an antique that my grandfather had. It is all original and shoots great. Question is can I have it? If not, if it is kept out of state is it legal?

CA PC§12020
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(7) Any firearm or ammunition that is a curio or relic as defined
in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations and
which is in the possession of a person permitted to possess the
items pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title
18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant
thereto.

US CFR 27 § 478.11
Curios or relics. Firearms which are of special interest to
collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with
firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons.
To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of
the following categories:
(a) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the
current date, but not including replicas thereof;
(b) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal,
State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics
of museum interest; and
(c) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their
monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or
because of their association with some historical figure, period, or
event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this
category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence
that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or
that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial
channels is substantially less.

ohsmily
03-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Is paradox incapable of typing? It looks like he can only cut and paste. Good job dude, useless .

hiyabrad
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
So all I need to do is fix my mag, then fix the underfolder so I stays in the open position, and I am clear on my YugoM70AB2!

hiyabrad
03-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Does anyone know if there is any legal issue in CA with having a threaded barrel, meaning there are threads at the end where the slant break goes?

ohsmily
03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Does anyone know if there is any legal issue in CA with having a threaded barrel, meaning there are threads at the end where the slant break goes?

Threaded barrels on rifles are fine, no restrictions.

Threaded barrels on handguns make them assault weapons.

bwiese
03-27-2006, 12:15 PM

Concerns over threaded barrels on semiauto rifles went away when the Federal assault weapons ban sunset in Sept 2004. You can have a threaded barrel no problem. Now, a flash hider is one evil feature in CA, but a muzzle brake is not.

[Semiautomatic pistols in CA cannot have threaded barrels or they are considered AWs.]

paradox
03-27-2006, 1:17 PM
Is paradox incapable of typing? It looks like he can only cut and paste. Good job dude, useless .

I can type just fine. The orginal poster wanted to know the law and didn't want to look it up, so I cut and pasted the actual law minus the ten pages of junk you'd have to wade through if I just posted the link. The law isn't that hard to read, it's just hard to dig through all the crap and find the particular clause that relates to the issue at hand.

Here is an example of the type of questions this thread has been about:

All the guy wants is the law quoted to him without any gunshop bull. So I quoted the law.

I appear to be the only one who has. How is that useless?

hiyabrad
03-27-2006, 1:32 PM
Paradox, you are okay with me!

So if I can ask another question to clairfy what I was thinking, if my M70AB2 underfolder is 26" or more, with the stock folded, then I am clear in CA if I have a fixed 10rd mag?

paradox
03-27-2006, 1:54 PM
How did the C&R law apply to his question about length?

18' barrel and 22" overall with the stock folded and it will fire with the stock folded. It looks like a long barreled pistol with a folding metal stock attached to the heel of the grip. It is an antique that my grandfather had.

The previously quoted laws said that anything < 26" is an SBR. The above quote says that his gun in question is 22" and an antique from his grandfather, both new items of information. His only hope is for it to be a C&R. What makes a C&R in the eyes of the law? Read the law is the general rule, so I quoted the law.

Also, simply providing a statute without explanation isn't valuable. If you were looking to help the previous poster, point out the pertinent section.

I only paste the pertinent section. Notice the elipses. If someone can't be bothered to read through an edited section of the law, they either need to have a lawer on retainer, should get another hobby, or move to somewhere with less firearm laws.

hiyabrad
03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
right you are, thanks!

50BMGBOB
03-28-2006, 1:29 PM
Thank to all. Looks like because it is a C&R and all original it is OK.

shopkeep
03-28-2006, 2:09 PM
OK my question is how the heck do you even build a functional rifle that's shootable and less than 30"?

Even with an ACE Light Entry stock installed on a AR-15 with a 14.5 inch barrel and 1.5 inch supressor, the length is still at least 30.5 inches! And it's hardly comfortable to fire the rifle without body armor on.

So my question is: is it possible to build up a rifle shorter than 30 inches without it being an SBR?

snobordr
03-28-2006, 2:45 PM
OK my question is how the heck do you even build a functional rifle that's shootable and less than 30"?

Does it have to be CA legal?

:D

ohsmily
03-28-2006, 2:56 PM

Even with an ACE Light Entry stock installed on a AR-15 with a 14.5 inch barrel and 1.5 inch supressor, the length is still at least 30.5 inches! And it's hardly comfortable to fire the rifle without body armor on.

So my question is: is it possible to build up a rifle shorter than 30 inches without it being an SBR?

bullpup configurations are one easy way to do it.

C.G.
03-28-2006, 3:13 PM
Does it have to be CA legal?

:D

Exactly, you cannot have a semi-auto less than 30" in PRK.

C.G.
03-28-2006, 3:44 PM
A semi-auto centerfire rifle ;)

Yup, omitting that only proves I am in the early stages of Alzheimer's.:D

snobordr
03-28-2006, 5:28 PM
Exactly, you cannot have a semi-auto less than 30" in PRK.

Ok, just a hypothetical situation. Say I have an off-list, self loading 7.62x39 receiver. Say then that the DOJ lists said receiver. Legally, in evil-ing it up, it could then, in theory go shorter than 30" but longer than 26" right?

snobordr
03-28-2006, 5:40 PM
Once registered as an AW, theoretically, yes.

Giggity! :D