PDA

View Full Version : California AK questions

Airdale
03-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions. I have a Hungarian SA85 that I purchased in the late 90's. It is the "post-ban" configuration, with a thumbhole stock and no threaded barrel. I registered the weapon with the California DOJ in 2000, and received back my confirmation letter. My questions are these:

1. Is it legal for me to get rid of the thumbhole stock install a straight stock and pistol grip, although it didnt come in this configuration when I purchased it?

2. If I do install the pistol grip, do I also need to install 5 USA made parts, as per Federal law 922r?

3. Is an aftermarket Dragunov-style stock considered by California to be a legal modification and would the installation of that style stock mean I dont need the 5 USA made parts?

I have received many contradictory answers to these questions from the internet and other sources, and any help from the knowledgable people on this forum would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a lawyer, and honestly I cant make any sense from the laws as written by the California DOJ. Thank you very much- Airdale

Lon Moer
03-26-2006, 10:31 AM
1.) Yes
2.) Yes
3.) ?

- you can also thread your barrel for a flash hider, but that will push the US parts count requirement up one, also.

xenophobe
03-26-2006, 12:08 PM
3. No, the Fiberforce stock is a thumbhole stock, and you are not changing the legal importability status of your rifle if you switch to one of those.

If you want to put a pistol grip and side folding or straight stock on your rifle, you would need the US Compliance parts. If you replace your thumbhole stock with another thumbhole stock you do not need US Compliance parts.

IF it is a registered CA AW, the DOJ don't care if it has a pistol grip, folding stock or whatever, and you can change any of those features without State interference.