PDA

View Full Version : Former Marine looking for a job in so cal

donsnnk
06-06-2010, 1:19 PM
posting this for my relative

my cousin stuart just got out of the marine corp. looking for any general labor job
MOS was 0311 very familiar with weapons handling, driving trucks, and surveillance

C.W.M.V.
06-06-2010, 2:09 PM
Tell him good luck, and to get his GI bill going if nothing else!

LoneWolf1
06-06-2010, 3:34 PM
posting this for my relative

my cousin stuart just got out of the marine corp. looking for any general labor job
MOS was 0311 very familiar with weapons handling, driving trucks, and surveillance

That would be Marine Corps...always spelled with capitals.

Also, there are no such thing as ex-Marines...only Former Marines.:rolleyes:

+1 on the GI Bill and good luck on his job search.

Rob454
06-06-2010, 5:34 PM
That would be Marine Corps...always spelled with capitals.
Also, there are no such thing as ex-Marines...only Former Marines.:rolleyes:
+1 on the GI Bill and good luck on his job search.

jeez dude relax

OP
Tell your cousin to look into the helmets to hardhats programs at the Union hall ( Electricians IBEW local 441) LMK where he lives and I can see if there is another hall near him. if he is in OC thats the hall to go to.
Get the GI bill and start going to school. If he wants a trade tell him to start figuring out what he wants to do. Unfortunately high paying jobs for 11 marines are not happening in this economy. LMK and Ill get you some info on where to go.
He can try applying to some PDs. Depending on of someone takes him on they will pay for his POST training also.

winnre
06-06-2010, 6:03 PM
Why didn't he stay in?

John03
06-06-2010, 6:19 PM
Tell him to start going to school full time and take advantage of the new GI bill.

donsnnk
06-06-2010, 6:57 PM
He finished his 5 years and he's going into inactive duty starting Monday..he says to thanks everyone for there comments

T-Bear
06-07-2010, 8:58 PM
Depending on his location, I can ask around for some job openings. From 1 Marine 1345 to another.

donsnnk
06-09-2010, 2:40 PM
he's in orange county right now
in the city of anaheim

Unit74
06-11-2010, 9:29 AM
Hirepatriots.com., M4L.com. , USAjobs.Gov, DONHR.gov

That's what I have been using. Not a lot of transferable skills for a trigger puller though. If he was a Cpl or better he needs to focus his resume on the management key points. I wouldn't talk about time in OIF or any 'Stan's.

Start school full time with at least one class at a campus and he'll rate BAH for the school location. In OC that's about $2k/mo. tax free. PLus they bill the school direct and also pay up to $1k in books and supplies.

Spanky8601
06-14-2010, 10:50 PM
These people are up in Port Hueneme. I have a friend who works with em and seems to like it. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=288304 Tell him good luck.

Cherns
06-17-2010, 8:25 AM
Unemployment/Post 9-11 G.I. Bill... It's hard trying to find a job now-a-days, especially for grunts. Going to school is the probably the best option, like Unit74 said, they're going to pay him B.A.H. to go to school, and pay for his tuition and books, it doesn't get much better than that in this day and age. That's what I'm going to be doing. Good luck to your cousin.

ankyle62
06-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Unemployment/Post 9-11 G.I. Bill... It's hard trying to find a job now-a-days, especially for grunts. Going to school is the probably the best option, like Unit74 said, they're going to pay him B.A.H. to go to school, and pay for his tuition and books, it doesn't get much better than that in this day and age. That's what I'm going to be doing. Good luck to your cousin.
exactly, the gi bill is great money and equals more money once you get that degree.

ODJR1
07-01-2010, 1:36 AM
The CHP, is getting ready to accept apps again for a short period. check out WWW.chp.ca.gov the hiring process takes a little time, but it is a lot quicker then it use to be.

ankyle62
07-01-2010, 7:27 AM
The CHP, is getting ready to accept apps again for a short period. check out WWW.chp.ca.gov the hiring process takes a little time, but it is a lot quicker then it use to be. they have almost 2 years worth of applicants in the system right now, it will be a long wait until you ever see the academy.

it doesnt hurt to try though, make sure you have everything you submit to them is accurate(not to the best of your knowledge, no **** accurate), they have enough people applying that they want to weed people out for whatever they can.

PatriotnMore
07-01-2010, 7:42 AM
they have almost 2 years worth of applicants in the system right now, it will be a long wait until you ever see the academy.

it doesnt hurt to try though, make sure you have everything you submit to them is accurate(not to the best of your knowledge, no **** accurate), they have enough people applying that they want to weed people out for whatever they can.

Yes, but I believe ex military puts your application ahead of non military, so it is worth the effort.

ankyle62
07-01-2010, 9:09 AM
Yes, but I believe ex military puts your application ahead of non military, so it is worth the effort. negative, it gives you 5 to 10 extra points on the oral board.

6172crew
07-02-2010, 7:28 PM
Here is a list of USDAFS jobs, these are usually starter jobs made for poor people and vets. If he sees somthing he likes I can get him the HR email I use.

http://outreach.fsr5.com/

wtf OVER 0317
07-07-2010, 3:16 PM
does he want to stay in the states?

theres plenty of HIGH paying jobs for an 0311. just depends if he wants to come back overseas or not...

Ron-Solo
07-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Law enforcement eligibility lists expire, so two years worth of applicants may mean absolutely ZERO. It all depends on when the list was promulgated. That said, there is a LOT of competition for LE jobs right now.

School is never a bad option, especially on the GI Bill. He's earned it.

I believe Border Patrol is hiring again.

There will be one more opening at LASD in March when I finally RETIRE! :) 32 1/2 years!

And please THANK HIM for his service for me.