PDA

View Full Version : possum hunting urban style

tdaughg
06-06-2010, 11:10 AM
i just killed my first possum this morning. unfortunately not because i wanted to but because the animal needed it. i got some bait boxes out for rats and i had one of those alligator looking traps in the garage also. went out to the garage to work on some projects and i hear the trap being dragged all over the place. low and behold its not a rat but a really small possum with its head trapped inside it. it had been in it for at least 6 hours and it was really on its last legs so i did the humane thing for it.

the thing that was really disappointing about it was that it took 3 shots to put it down! i was using a pump action .20cal air rifle and put the first 2 shots behind the ear since i didnt have a shot right at the head. finally was able to position the trap just right where i could kinda see the head and that did it.

i hope everybody has an equally action packed sunday but with more fun. personally im off to bake in the sun while painting. have a good day everyone.

Travis H.

bigboarstopper
06-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Pch might want to make some jerkey with that thing. Id save it for him:online2long:

77bawls
06-06-2010, 1:33 PM
Sometimes doing the humane thing sucks. One time I had to beat a deer to death with a tire iron. Hardest thing I've ever had to do.

pieeater
06-06-2010, 3:56 PM
Sometimes doing the humane thing sucks. One time I had to beat a deer to death with a tire iron. Hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Yes but it wont be eating your flowers again!

Shotgun Man
06-06-2010, 4:21 PM
Pixs? What model air rifle?

Big Jake
06-06-2010, 4:21 PM
Pch might want to make some jerkey with that thing. Id save it for him:online2long:

This! :puke:

theseacow
06-06-2010, 4:29 PM
Yes but it wont be eating your flowers again!

lol

1lostinspace
06-06-2010, 4:31 PM
i just killed my first possum this morning. unfortunately not because i wanted to but because the animal needed it. i got some bait boxes out for rats and i had one of those alligator looking traps in the garage also. went out to the garage to work on some projects and i hear the trap being dragged all over the place. low and behold its not a rat but a really small possum with its head trapped inside it. it had been in it for at least 6 hours and it was really on its last legs so i did the humane thing for it.

the thing that was really disappointing about it was that it took 3 shots to put it down! i was using a pump action .20cal air rifle and put the first 2 shots behind the ear since i didnt have a shot right at the head. finally was able to position the trap just right where i could kinda see the head and that did it.

i hope everybody has an equally action packed sunday but with more fun. personally im off to bake in the sun while painting. have a good day everyone.

Travis H.

I killed a rattle snake with a sword:eek:

E-120
06-06-2010, 5:11 PM
I have a possum as a pet. Not actually but he slinks by the garrage every night around eleven. Ugly little dude.
Sorry you had to do that.

shellyzsweet
06-06-2010, 5:17 PM
I let the men in my life deal with dead rodents and such. Once my stepdad had to finish off a rat....he won't talk about how he did it and I'm glad!

Killing rodents! One more reason I am so grateful for the men in my life! :thumbsup:

tdaughg
06-06-2010, 5:53 PM
no pics sorry everybody. the air rifle is a benjam sheridan cb9. ive had it probably for 8 years now, got it from a friend who never used it for a really good price. the sights are horribly off and ive never really bother to adjust them. thankfully i was close enough to not need them. if that 3rd shot didnt get the job done i was grabbing the 22/45 w/60gr subsonic and cranking up the stereo.

i think this is only the second time ever had something other that a rat get into my garage. its fairly well sealed so i dont know how it made it in. maybe i left the door open too late and it slipped in without me noticing.

raccoons on the other hand are a big problem in the garden eating all the fruit. had one a while back that was the size of a small child. it was eating all the nectarines so i heard it one night and grabbed my walther cp99 co2 pellet gun and popped him in the butt from across the yard. its not very powerful so at that distance it just turned and looked at me then started eating some more. we ended up getting rid of that tree. hasnt been back ever since.

tdaughg
06-06-2010, 5:57 PM
I killed a rattle snake with a sword:eek:

wtf a sword! i think we have a serious mall ninja on our hands ;)

180ls1
06-06-2010, 11:27 PM

story behind that?

tankerman
06-07-2010, 1:35 AM
story behind that?
Like a lot of folks know that have hit a hit a deer with their car, the deer don't always die and need to be finished off.

Cpl_Peters
06-07-2010, 1:46 AM
i used to have a pet possum named doodle. found it outside as a pinkie and had to feed it milk through a dropper so it didnt die. it was very calm and loved me and my uncle to death. he got huge and lived for about 2.5 years. we used to let him wander around our house and he was better trained than most cats when it comes to using the littler box. we could pick him up and hold him and he didnt mind at all.

i find that a easy and sure fire way to kill inuried roddents like possum, mice and rats is to place them in a plastic bag and tie it closed. they slowely run out of oxygen, first falling asleep then dying all together. this is also a good alternative if you live in a city that has no discharge of airrifle laws anywhere within city limits (which most do).