PDA

View Full Version : does one have to have a license to take Dove or Skunk on your own land?

Saym14
06-05-2010, 4:11 PM
anyone know the code sections?

lewdogg21
06-05-2010, 5:27 PM
Dove yes since it's a migratory game bird. Skunk I don't believe so since it's not a game animal.

Somebody else will know for sure.

LloydXmas250
06-05-2010, 5:38 PM
I'm not the one who will know for sure, but I'm fairly certain the only animal you can take without a hunting license is a rattlesnake. I'm pretty sure you need a license for a skunk, but they would be free to take all year, no season and no special tag. Dove you definitely need one and it has to be in season and you have to have an upland game stamp. Now, there may be loopholes for the skunk if it's a depredation issue but that may be a little much for a skunk.

DirtyDave
06-05-2010, 8:15 PM
Yeah, what Lloyd said

Abesnake
06-06-2010, 5:34 PM
Yeah, what Dirty Dave said! LOL:D

ScottB
06-06-2010, 6:27 PM
For dove you also need an upland game stamp and a HIP stamp. Generally, game laws do not distinguish between what you do on your land vs anywhere else. There are some exceptions regarding depredation.

When in doubt, go to the source: http://www.dfg.ca.gov

BTW, you need a fishing licence to hunt for snakes.

Saym14
06-06-2010, 6:33 PM
makes sence on Doves. but if a skunk is digging in my garden and could spray my dog can I shoot it with a pellet gun without a hunting lic.

thought someone here may know before I spend 14 hours on DFG.ca.gov.

olhunter
06-06-2010, 6:55 PM
You need a license for both. Upland stamp and in-season for the doves.

472. General Provisions.

Except as otherwise provided in Sections 478 and 485 and subsections (a) through (d) below, nongame birds and mammals may not be taken.

(a) The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).

You also need lead-free in the condor range since skunks are non-game.

LloydXmas250
06-06-2010, 7:16 PM
Why not just buy a hunting license just to get rid of the skunk and then hunt other stuff? Either that or buy a trap to remove it or hire someone.
BTW, you need a fishing licence to hunt for snakes.
Good call on the fishing license for snakes but I'm still pretty sure you don't need any license for a rattler. Of course make sure it's not a protected species of rattler.

olhunter
06-06-2010, 7:55 PM
Good call on the fishing license for snakes but I'm still pretty sure you don't need any license for a rattler. Of course make sure it's not a protected species of rattler.

No limit, no license, no method restrictions for rattlesnakes. You just can't destroy their habitat to do it (breaking logs, tearing up rock formations, etc).

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish/ccr-t14-ch2-art4-sec5_60.html

spectr17
06-06-2010, 8:44 PM
Depends on where and how you're "taking" the animals too. I trap skunks, coons and possums here in the city and turn them over to the city animal control. They've never asked for a license and they'll even provide the trap if you don't have one many times. Check with your city or county animal control if you need to do depredation.

Lloyd dobbler
06-07-2010, 8:30 PM
Depends on where and how you're "taking" the animals too. I trap skunks, coons and possums here in the city and turn them over to the city animal control. They've never asked for a license and they'll even provide the trap if you don't have one many times. Check with your city or county animal control if you need to do depredation.

your a trapper?? .i always wanted to be trapper but thought that you had to be licensed by the state to do so? do tell...as i have a plethura of critters that need to be trapped.:D