PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg Silver Reserve field 20ga

david101
03-24-2006, 8:34 PM
I'm looking to buy my first over under shotgun. I shot trap with my buddy last month and I'm hooked and I want to start to go hunting with him and see if I like it. I don't want to spend to much money on my first gun because what if I don't like it? At least I can still shoot clay and have a decent shotgun. I was thinking of buying a Mossberg International Silver Reserve Field 20 GA Over Under. Price is $511. Has anybody shot one before? Or head anything good or bad about it? Do you think it's a good starter shotgun? Thanks

ArmedBear
03-28-2006, 2:02 PM
You can get them for a bit less than that if you look around. Big 5 is a place to start. Ask about the "last sale price". Should be $469 or 489. Or just say you think you saw it there for $469 but you were broke then and you just got your tax refund now.

Big 5's DROS charges are really low, too. Hell, while you're there, add a surplus gun to the DROS for no extra fee. They have Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins lately. Maybe some others. Get an Enfield if they will let it go for near $100 and it's not rusted out. You can DROS as many long guns as you want on one form, for the same fee. See if there's a .22 you like.

Anyway, some people have said that there are wear problems in the receiver, but the people I've talked to who actually OWN them seem to really love them and have ZERO problems, even when using them as range guns. Range use often means 1000's of rounds per year, so for durability it's a better test than if someone says "I just hunt with it."

I'm looking to get a 20 myself, after talking with another happy owner on Sunday. Nice upland gun. I'd consider a 12 for trap, though. Depends on how big you are. If you don't mind carrying the somewhat bigger 12 in the field, it's a do-it-all shotgun, which is what you want (trap, clays, waterfowl, upland birds, and even turkey).

Consider adding a good recoil pad to it; a Pachmayr Decelerator makes the gun quite pleasant, even when you're shooting a lot.

bwiese
03-28-2006, 3:58 PM
I was looking into the lower-cost imported O/U shotguns (Mossbergs, Remington Spartans, Khans, etc.) They're either Turkish or Russian.

All of these $500-$700 O/Us seem front-heavy and not balanced well. They do offer chrome-lined bores, however. I do think they will hold up well. I do not relish finding spare parts for them 15 years from now.

Instead, 3 wks ago I bought a used-but-great Ruger Red Label 26" O/U 12ga 2-3/4" with SS receiver and perfect wood for $850. Much much much better balance & action though I wish it had chromed bores (however all I'll be shooting is milder Estate or Kent generic loads so not a huge amount of wear).

Hoss.870
03-28-2006, 6:05 PM
Honestly the Mossberg Silver Reserve isn't that great of a gun. If you can spend a little more and buy a Huglu with are being imported by CZ.

ArmedBear
03-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Bill- Are no Rugers chrome-lined?

bwiese
03-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Bill- Are no Rugers chrome-lined?

Unfortunately, no.

ArmedBear
03-29-2006, 3:04 PM
Bummer.

Sooner or later, we're going to have to use non-toxic shot for upland birds, at least in some areas. I want the option, anyway, since my dog likes dove meat a lot better than I do, but she's a lot smaller and more susceptible to lead poisoning.

Ever shoot steel or other hard non-toxic shot through yours?

bwiese
03-29-2006, 6:17 PM
Bummer.
Sooner or later, we're going to have to use non-toxic shot for upland birds, at least in some areas. I want the option, anyway, since my dog likes dove meat a lot better than I do, but she's a lot smaller and more susceptible to lead poisoning.

No I haven't. I just got my Red Label, and my Beretta AL390 is in DROS 10 day wait.

I've never hunted birds - likely not in near future - and am just enjoying blasting some clays. I got tired of my pump guns, and always liked O/Us.

Ever shoot steel or other hard non-toxic shot through yours?

Some people report that Rugers have held up well with steel shot for many seasons. Apparently steel shot used is a softer steel. Have no idea about bismuth.

I'd think that the Ruger S/S 'all weather' Red Label might even hold up better.

Yes, they should be chromed. But the Red Labels balance so much more nicely than the Turkish/Russian guns it's almost funny.

ArmedBear
03-29-2006, 9:41 PM
Ever try a CZ or De Haan Huglu SxS?

One fine snap shooter. Not a trap gun, of course, but I wouldn't toss all the Turkish guns into the same basket by any means. Then again, they get up there in price, too. And the Mossberg 20/26 is not muzzle-heavy. It has a nice stock shape, too. Beretta lightweight 20 is nicer, of course, but well over 3X the price.

The Stoeger Condor Supreme is surprisingly well-made. A guy on my trap team has one and loves it for upland birds as well as clays. I think the 28" is a clunker, but the 26" he has feels pretty good. It seems to be well worth the low price.

I'd rank the stainless/synthetic Ruger as kind of "blah" when it comes to balance and feel. Not exactly rust-free, either. But a nice gun for field use; you kind of feel like it will take whatever you dish out, like a Mini-14 stainless/synthetic. The walnut version just feels better. I'd surely take one for the price you paid!