PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn traditional archery, any advice?

strangerdude
06-05-2010, 2:57 PM
Okay so I tried it out last week at El Dorado Park in Long Beach and fell in love with it, my budget is tight so I am hoping someone can recommend a dealer with good prices(near long beach/southbay). I want to learn traditional and don't have much interest in compound bows, atleast until I master the traditional bow. So all advice is welcome, thanks!

jawbreaker
06-05-2010, 6:18 PM
Practice practice practice. Traditional archery is all instinctive and much more difficult to pick up than a compound IMO. If you plan on hunting with your bow you will have greater success with a compound also.

DirtyDave
06-05-2010, 8:13 PM
I'm in the same boat, I have a traditional long bow and want to start playing around with it. Looking into doing some bow fishing maybe.

spectr17
06-05-2010, 8:26 PM
I started out making my own long bows in wood shop in high school. It's cheaper than a custom or factory bow and you get the pleasure of hunting with a bow you handcrafted. Many of the trad shooters are into making their own gear, quivers, bows, knives, arrows etc. Check ebay and ArcheryTalk.com for deals on used trad bows.

Pasadena trad archers meet every 3rd Sunday of the month to make bows and arrows. See if there is a group in your area that meets up like this and hang out there. That's where you'll learn the most and find guys trading off bows or letting go old trad gear.

Good luck, trad hunting and shooting is the hardest but most rewarding IMHO.

Annonymous
06-05-2010, 8:46 PM
I hunt with both a compound and a longbow. Traditional is all instinctive and takes much more practice to be proficient, but is much more rewarding IMO

tpuig
06-05-2010, 9:29 PM
My sentiments exactly. I'd really like to try out and learn on a traditional long bow. While I realize that in most cases, the newer stuff is worlds apart, it's more of learning the art itself. If I ever hunt, I'm pretty sure it would be with a modern compound.

Any recommendations for a decent long bow to start with? Used of course. Brands...

Okay so I tried it out last week at El Dorado Park in Long Beach and fell in love with it, my budget is tight so I am hoping someone can recommend a dealer with good prices(near long beach/southbay). I want to learn traditional and don't have much interest in compound bows, atleast until I master the traditional bow. So all advice is welcome, thanks!

strangerdude
06-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I hunt with both a compound and a longbow. Traditional is all instinctive and takes much more practice to be proficient, but is much more rewarding IMO

That's exactly why I want to start with traditional. I look at it just like shooting guns, I first started with iron sights and learned to use them well and then upgraded to optics. I even grew tired of my red dot and came back to irons, traditional is the way I think everyone should start with.

Jon Wang
06-07-2010, 8:05 AM
Thursday nights at El Dorado Park, there's a hunter's group that meets there. Couple of the guys there shoot traditional bows. You should check it out.

SnWnMe
06-07-2010, 8:15 AM

Sign up for lessons @ your local archery shop. I went to my first lesson this weekend @ Riverside Archery. Very helpful.

I got a compound for cheep @ CL and have been practicing in my backyard with that but I see a recurve in my future too.

strangerdude
06-07-2010, 9:40 AM
Sign up for lessons @ your local archery shop. I went to my first lesson this weekend @ Riverside Archery. Very helpful.

I got a compound for cheep @ CL and have been practicing in my backyard with that but I see a recurve in my future too.

Yeah, I called the nearest Archery shop and their first lesson is free with equipment and $20 for each after that(all i really want to learn is the basics, youtube also has good lesson videos). I also asked them how much a traditional beginner bow goes for, they go for $30-$70. This is my last week of school so once I'm done I'm gonna try to shoot every day if not every other.