PDA

View Full Version : Drawing up a flier for range handouts

grammaton76
03-24-2006, 4:51 PM
Ok, those of you who're taking off-list rifles to shooting ranges know exactly what I'm talking about here. If there's any real crowd at the range, as soon as we pull our rifles out of the cases there's a few interested folks wondering just how to get ahold of them. Generally speaking, you just don't have enough time to take each of them aside to tell them all the in's and out's of off-list AR ownership.

I'd like to draw up a flier - a "mini-faq" to serve as a handout. I'll post the PDF; anyone who wants to print it and take it to the range is welcome to do so.

My reason for this post is to collect links which should appear on the flier, and short answers to actual questions which people ask about off-list AR's at ranges. I know what people ask ME about my rifles; I don't know what folks ask YOU about them.

I'm admittedly a pretty lousy graphic designer, but I've talked about this since Jan or so, and no one else has stepped up to the plate. If someone else will and have something decent put together by this weekend, that's great - I just want it in PDF format so anyone can print it, on pretty much any computer.

I also figure that some local FFLs who are afraid of the DOJ but support our efforts (Iron Sights in particular) can keep a copy on hand to photocopy for people asking about 'em.

This is a ONE PAGE flier - so space is limited. I don't intend to get deep into legality, just touch on it briefly and include web links to the Calguns FAQ, among other things.

So, the questions I typically get are:

"How much did that whole rifle cost?"
"How did you get your receiver?"
"Where can I buy a receiver?"

What questions do you guys get?

Edit: Somehow I had turned "not a great graphic designer" up above, into "a lousy great graphic designer". Fixed it. :p

blacklisted
03-24-2006, 5:11 PM
That's a really good idea. It would also be nice to make one for interested FFLs, with all the information in one place (and a concise summary of the relevant laws on back).

I'd make one but I'm going to be busy all weekend (midterms are next week).

grammaton76
03-24-2006, 5:20 PM
That's a really good idea. It would also be nice to make one for interested FFLs, with all the information in one place (and a concise summary of the relevant laws on back).

I'd make one but I'm going to be busy all weekend (midterms are next week).

That would be really cool - I don't feel like I'm qualified to write the FFL version, as it should probably come from one of the FFLs here on the forum so that it holds more credibility than just a customer-level statement. But I'll be happy to cheer for whoever does.

Also, I just got Bright Spot Pawn's permission to include them on the flier AND an online shop roster. That's really big, as a lot of guys just aren't going to want to look at webpages to try and find a transfer dealer unless they see that there's someone within a couple hours' drive of them.

If you guys have any other dealers who're willing to be listed, feel free to PM me their info, I'll call their LISTED BUSINESS NUMBER to confirm, and add them to the list provided I get signoff from them.

I've created a public roster (which FFLs are ONLY to be added to with their consent), at:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/CalArOpenFFLs

Surveyor
03-24-2006, 8:51 PM
That would be very appreciated! I feel like a used car salesman when I'm trying to quickly tell some one about Kasler, Harrot, the DOJ, 5 year old case law that just got "discovered", SB23, fixed mag, etc, etc, etc......

6172crew
03-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Id take a few w/ me. Im about ready to test the waters on one of the Mag convertions. With the amount of lowers I have I figure I can rig up a Vulcan style and take her in M4 spec out to the range.:)

grammaton76
03-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Id take a few w/ me. Im about ready to test the waters on one of the Mag convertions. With the amount of lowers I have I figure I can rig up a Vulcan style and take her in M4 spec out to the range.:)

Excellent. This is the first draft, hideously rough but I hope it gets the overall point across in a one-page document. Bear in mind I wrote this in an hour or two after hours at work, and I'm a sysadmin, not a layout guy. :)

I was contacted by another Calguns member who's offered to do a layout and such on it; hopefully his final product will be better than my first one. But, in case you're going this weekend, here's what I intend to bring with me tomorrow:

http://www.cheapspeech.com/offlist-flier.pdf

Richard
03-25-2006, 9:11 AM
you may want to include the link to calgun laws and the pdf file with DOJ letters......some people need a liittle more proof....just
a thought.

Excellent. This is the first draft, hideously rough but I hope it gets the overall point across in a one-page document. Bear in mind I wrote this in an hour or two after hours at work, and I'm a sysadmin, not a layout guy. :)

I was contacted by another Calguns member who's offered to do a layout and such on it; hopefully his final product will be better than my first one. But, in case you're going this weekend, here's what I intend to bring with me tomorrow:

http://www.cheapspeech.com/offlist-flier.pdf

unimog_88
03-25-2006, 9:29 AM
It's really an excellent idea.

Too many guns(or rounds) to shoot, too few time to talk.:D

soopafly
03-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Flyer's ready for final approval. Grammaton, check your PM.

grammaton76
03-30-2006, 1:55 AM
you may want to include the link to calgun laws and the pdf file with DOJ letters......some people need a liittle more proof....just
a thought.

I actually did think about that, but one of the big problems here is trying to keep it to one page. If we're doing a multi-page flier, then we may as well just print out Bill's FAQ. :)

I think as long as we provide some links over here, folks with a bit of motivation will easily get started. Those of us who got here in December generally were highly motivated, and found our ways here by whispered semi-hints and rumors, coupled with all-nighter web searches. At least, that was my path to enlightenment.

We won't necessarily end up doing much for the unmotivated folks, but the moderates will be the ones we harvest the most from a good flier setup.

Now, something really neat I just thought of earlier today...

We don't really need to pursue the UNmotivated folks. If they have to be spoon fed every single step, then although they MAY buy a lower, we could perhaps do without them for the time being. Why?

We're mostly interested in the motivated folks who don't have the time or just don't get online that often. These are the kinds of folks who might sign RKBA if they knew about it, might hassle some reps if they have a stake in the off-list lowers, etc.

There's just something about these lowers that tends to 'wake folks up' - I know a fair number of folks who, now that they've bought a lower or two, have suddenly started caring a lot more about California laws and wondering what they can do about it.

I'm hoping that our tasty black aluminum mil-spec pills will bring a fair number of folks out of their comas. The first wave of us were generally folks who were awake already - but serious progress will be made if we can start waking up more of the comatose ones. :)

grammaton76
03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Flyer's ready for final approval. Grammaton, check your PM.

Guys, Soopafly did an awesome job on the flier's layout!

Everyone - hit http://www.cheapspeech.com/ar-flier.pdf for a copy.

Feel free to print out a few copies take them to ranges with you. I know I will! Particularly sympathetic ranges, even if they refuse to sell AR lowers, may even be willing to keep a copy on hand to show folks who ask about them, too.

Taz77
03-30-2006, 4:48 PM
how about a page2 (or a reverse side) where you might list the allowable features on a fixed-mag lower compared to a detachable mag lower. not talking about the specifics of why features makes each configurations legal or not, but more like:

fixed mag lower - pistol grip, forward grip, flash hider, etc are allowed...

detachable mag lower - pistol grip, flash hider, forward grip, etc... not allowed

grammaton76
03-30-2006, 5:04 PM
how about a page2 where you might list the allowable features on a fixed-mag lower compared to a detachable mag lower. not talking about the specifics of why features makes each configurations legal or not, but more like:

fixed mag lower - pistol grip, forward grip, flash hider, etc are allowed...

detachable mag lower - pistol grip not allowed... only one of the following allowed: flash hider, forward grip, etc...

Well, that's the type of thing that Bill's FAQ is more suited for. The point of this flier is to have a one-page attention grabber which provides folks at ranges with the information they need in order to start their own research. If we start getting into two page fliers, that doubles the cost of printing, as well as reproducing a dangerous amount of information (i.e. enough that someone could think they knew everything from the flier, WITHOUT reading the faq!)

Right now, a lot of the folks who drool over lowers have no idea what Calguns is, and this is arguably the best place to look for information on the off-list lowers.

shin_en
03-30-2006, 6:10 PM
How about a disclaimer stating that they must make it CA compliant until the list is updated and the lower is registered?

grammaton76
03-30-2006, 11:31 PM
How about a disclaimer stating that they must make it CA compliant until the list is updated and the lower is registered?

Well, the way it's written now, it doesn't say that they'll ever be able to run it in a non-CA-compliant manner, and says they need to read the FAQ (which covers it quite thoroughly). Getting into what's CA-compliant and what isn't, would take too much space to cover thoroughly (and trying to cover it quickly runs a serious risk that folks would consider the flier authoritative, and go solely off of it for legality).

I definitely want folks to read the FAQ - the rest of the flier is just eye-catcher for the FAQ link and dealer list.

Incidentally, we've got a new version - Soopafly tweaked the graphics a little, and I secured CWS's permission to list their contact info.

http://www.cheapspeech.com/ar-flier.pdf

DigglerD
03-31-2006, 8:36 AM
Well, the way it's written now, it doesn't say that they'll ever be able to run it in a non-CA-compliant manner, and says they need to read the FAQ (which covers it quite thoroughly). Getting into what's CA-compliant and what isn't, would take too much space to cover thoroughly (and trying to cover it quickly runs a serious risk that folks would consider the flier authoritative, and go solely off of it for legality).

I also think it would raise too much attention to the notion that people are buying these in the hopes of building "badder" assault weapons.

We don't need to give the DOJ a hair up thier *** to pass some category 2 post-ban "off-list" AW bill or something b4 these get listed. Let them figure that out after the ban.

Taz77
03-31-2006, 2:16 PM
If we start getting into two page fliers, that doubles the cost of printing, as well as reproducing a dangerous amount of information (i.e. enough that someone could think they knew everything from the flier, WITHOUT reading the faq!)

good point there.