PDA

View Full Version : CCW while bowhunting

dodgerfan175
06-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I know it is against the law to carry a sidearm while bowhunting during the archery only season. What I was wondering was would it be legal to carry concealed if you have a CCW permit? I've been wanting to ask a warden about this but I haven't ran into one for the last two years. I'm thinking this might be a gray area in the law and a judge might agree. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I rather be caught by a warden with a sidearm than be caught by a Mt. lion without one.

Bobula
06-05-2010, 12:17 AM
I still have yet to have a fish cop prove its illegal to carry a sidearm for protection during archery only. I also always have pig tags on me, there's no archery only pig season.

dodgerfan175
06-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I also always have pig tags on me, there's no archery only pig season.

Good point

acourvil
06-05-2010, 7:26 AM
The regs specifically say that "You may not possess a firearm while hunting in the field during any archery season, Area-Specific Archery Hunt, or while hunting during the general season with an Archery-Only tag." CCW doesn't matter.

Cougar125
06-08-2010, 1:39 AM
I would ask. Better safe than sorry.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-08-2010, 9:10 AM
It is 100% illegal to carry a firearm while archery hunting during archery season. There is no gray area here, regs spell it out pretty straight forward.

mif_slim
06-08-2010, 9:25 AM
Well guys sorry to bust your bubbles but my bro-n-law's handgun got destroyed for it being in the car while driving to the hunting spot during archery season! We were not even carrying it and it got destroyed!

So, yes, say what you want and do what you want, but we've experianced it ourselves. We went to fight it at court but the judge said it was carried even when we only had the mag in our packs and the gun stow'd away in the car.

Spyder
06-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Haha, insert foot here. As I posted this, I re-read your post and saw that you had put "Illegal", not "legal". Therefore, you were right!
I did throw the section up there for deer though, for the folks that don't believe it.

It is 100% illegal to carry a firearm while archery hunting during archery season. There is no gray area here, regs spell it out pretty straight forward.

This is absolutely wrong. Re-read the Fish and Game Code. There isn't even an exception for leo or retired leo to carry a firearm while hunting with archery equipnment during archery season.

Fish and Game Code, Section 4370. In every area in which deer may lawfully be taken during the
general open season there is an archery season for the taking of deer
with bow and arrow. The season for each area shall be as the
commission may prescribe, with a minimum interposing interval of
three days immediately preceding the regular open season on deer in
that area. No person taking or attempting to take deer during such
archery season shall carry, or have under his immediate control, any
firearm of any kind.

lewdogg21
06-08-2010, 2:41 PM
^^^Now I'm confused. The code is telling me you can't carry a handgun during archery period. Right?

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-08-2010, 2:54 PM
NO firearms during an archery hunt.

The regs spell it out quite clear. CCW, LEO, Pres of the US... no matter, NO firearms on archery hunts in CA.... period

mif_slim
06-08-2010, 3:11 PM
Yes, you CAN NOT carry a handgun at all, but you can have it in your car locked and at camp during archery season...not not in possiion

makomyday
06-08-2010, 3:16 PM
But sir... I am archery hunting for Coyotes. Here is my hunting license. (deer tag not produced)
Legal to carry firearm during coyote archery hunt, even if during archery only deer areas.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-08-2010, 3:50 PM
Legal to carry firearm during coyote archery hunt, even if during archery only deer areas.

good luck fighting that one, lol

igorts
06-08-2010, 4:41 PM
or have your buddy with pig tag or "coyote" hunting along with you.

mif_slim
06-08-2010, 6:40 PM
Firearm + archery season = firearms taken and destoryed no matter what tag you have or reasons you have. If the ranger suspects something you WILL be nailed and loose the case....but, if you want to try, by all means go a head... It's not our guns. :)

igorts
06-08-2010, 7:01 PM
Ranger has to have a reason, not a suspicion.
rifle hunting for pigs in dear archery only season perfectly legal.
law says: "ďArchers may not possess a firearm while hunting in the field during any archery season, or while hunting during a general season under the provisions of an archery only tag"
Archers. So it does not apply to a hunter with rifle not hunting a deer.

Some rangers will verify method of take, if it was a bullet hole you're in trouble.

taperxz
06-08-2010, 7:49 PM
This really isn't rocket science. I would like to ask what a game warden was doing in mif-slims car to be able to confiscate a pistol? Only way that could happen is if you were road hunting during archery season!!! OR he had reasonable cause to search your vehicle. Pleez tell me you weren't road hunting with a bow!

E Pluribus Unum
06-09-2010, 12:32 AM
All of these blanket statements and assumptions over the law and no one has posted it yet.

Here it is:

Fish and Game Code
4370. In every area in which deer may lawfully be taken during the
general open season there is an archery season for the taking of deer
with bow and arrow. The season for each area shall be as the
commission may prescribe, with a minimum interposing interval of
three days immediately preceding the regular open season on deer in
that area. No person taking or attempting to take deer during such
archery season shall carry, or have under his immediate control, any
firearm of any kind.

As you can see, this applies to everyone including CCW holders and off duty police officers.

There you have it... they will have to articulate that you were hunting deer. You can argue that you were in an area populated with deer and coyotes, carrying a firearm, yet hunting coyotes with a bow, during deer bow season, when shooting them with a firearm would be legal. I doubt a jury will see it that way. If you are in a deer zone with a bow during bow season, the reasonable person is going to assume you were hunting deer. At the very least, you will be arrested and lose your gun until you spend several times what the gun is worth to get it back, assuming you ever do.

If you do like to bow hunt coyotes in deer zones.... don't hunt for those three days because you will run into trouble.

E Pluribus Unum
06-09-2010, 12:50 AM
This really isn't rocket science. I would like to ask what a game warden was doing in mif-slims car to be able to confiscate a pistol? Only way that could happen is if you were road hunting during archery season!!! OR he had reasonable cause to search your vehicle. Pleez tell me you weren't road hunting with a bow!

There are many many ways to establish PC to search. It could be as simple as no proof of registration, no license in possession, tags expired for even one day, impounded vehicle due to equipment violation/failed safety inspection, et cetera not to mention lying. The scenarios where a police officer has PC to search is much more common than you might think. As a citizen, you must make sure ALL your ducks are in a row and know the law in order to not be searched.

mif_slim
06-09-2010, 8:37 AM

Where we hunt we have to either hike from our camp(the only campsite around the area) 6 miles to the hunting spot or take a 5 mile drive then hike 1 mile. We were driving to the spot where the ranger pulled us over to ask where we were going. All our gears were in the back but my bro-n-law had mesh bag and that was where the mag was at. The ranger saw that and thats where it went down.

and no, we were not hunting on the road with a bow. lol.

metalhead357
06-09-2010, 8:59 AM
I've personally asked 3 wardens in the field and have gotton three seperate answers. I've called the redding branch and got one answer then the sac branch and got another answer.............

You're on shaky ground no matter what you do short of NOT carrying during Archery-Only...........

Personally I'd love to see a case though with an off-duty cop getting his duty weapon confiscated by DFG...would make for an interesting case & might open doors for CCW'ers....but whatta I know..........

mif_slim
06-09-2010, 9:30 AM
^ lets all donate a buck to get one of our LEO CGN'ner to try it... :)

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm curious as to why anyone feels the NEED to carry, on an archery only hunt, anyways. You have a bow in 1 hand, a release on the other. Pretty hard to draw a firearm with your hands somewhat full. IMHO, if something comes at you(lion, bear, druggy), your best bet is to use your bow..... whether it be shooting an arrow or using it as a bat.

Anyone ever have an experience during an archery only hunt, where a firearm was NEEDED?

also, if you're scared of the bears, get a bear tag, they seem to be plenty scared of those, lol.

taperxz
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Yes!! Rattlesnakes

metalhead357
06-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm curious as to why anyone feels the NEED to carry, on an archery only hunt, anyways. You have a bow in 1 hand, a release on the other. Pretty hard to draw a firearm with your hands somewhat full. IMHO, if something comes at you(lion, bear, druggy), your best bet is to use your bow..... whether it be shooting an arrow or using it as a bat.

Anyone ever have an experience during an archery only hunt, where a firearm was NEEDED?.

I dunno even where to start..... but Archery Pig hunts lead to fun sometimes you wish/want to have soneone there with a gun.

Out in nowhere's-ville I've run accross many a tweaker and what not that made me exceptionally glad I was armed (not archery hunting).

Also, just to add to the list-- why not just plain ol' self defense or our right to be armed?

Edit to add.............. I dont use a release on my hand..............................

mif_slim
06-09-2010, 11:47 AM
During a hunt in NC, a hunter was attacked during a archery hunt. He was 19feet up a tree. He shot the bear and it climbed up a tree and tore his left calves off. He didnt have a pistol or firearm available..luckly a diffrent hunter was there heard the yelling and came in and fired off a few shotgun rounds deterring the bear to run away....yeah, I can think of plenty of situations where I wish I had a pistol at hand. Especially when I was surrounded by 5 bears one time, all well over 400 lbs...I let them all go because I only had my bow and I was only 12 feet in the air...they knew I was there, they didnt care...they were fighting over a dead deer (my deer!)

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Archery Pig hunts lead to fun sometimes you wish/want to have soneone there with a gun.

Out in nowhere's-ville I've run accross many a tweaker and what not that made me exceptionally glad I was armed (not archery hunting).

Also, just to add to the list-- why not just plain ol' self defense or our right to be armed?

I've never had any issues with hogs, and I hunt some pretty tight stuff, but I guess I can see your point. Things can get western pretty fast. I tend to leave the hogs alone during deer season... plenty of time to chase them later in the year.....

tweakers- this is about the only REAL threat that see.

I'm against the law(only because it infringes on our rights), just playing devils advocate, BUT, that said, I wouldn't carry, even if It was legal..... I feel very protected just carrying my bow.

ScottB
06-09-2010, 12:16 PM
You specified pig hunting, which is a special case.

Since there is no DFG "archery only" hunts (landowners may impose that), then, the issue of carrying a firearm while pig hunting is moot - you can carry a firearm.

If the DFG does set an archery only pig hunt, it would be because of safety concerns and, again, the issue is moot - you cannot carry a firearm.

As for specified archery only hunts for other species, I don't get the argument. The law is clear and it means what it says - and for obvious reasons. Anyone who finds terms of those hunts unacceptable should not apply for them. Why all the weasling around trying to find a loophole?

pepsi2451
06-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Well guys sorry to bust your bubbles but my bro-n-law's handgun got destroyed for it being in the car while driving to the hunting spot during archery season! We were not even carrying it and it got destroyed!

So, yes, say what you want and do what you want, but we've experianced it ourselves. We went to fight it at court but the judge said it was carried even when we only had the mag in our packs and the gun stow'd away in the car.

Yes, you CAN NOT carry a handgun at all, but you can have it in your car locked and at camp during archery season...not not in possiion

So why did they destroy your friends gun if it was still in the car? If I have to drive through the area I'm going to be hunting to get to the camp spot does that make it illegal to have a gun with me in my car at the same time as a bow even if I'm just driving through?

I haven't done much bow hunting but last year I went camping during bow season and I thought about bringing a bow so I could leave camp and go bow hunting. I decided against it because I was bringing guns on the camping trip. Could I have brought my bow and went hunting or would that be illegal?

metalhead357
06-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Why all the weasling around trying to find a loophole?
I'm sorry you think of it that way. I think the Op like many here are simply trying to exert thier God-given rights: and try to do the same in this confangled web of half-laws/half-illlogic that we call our beloved legislation meant to protect use from ourselves.

If no one 'pushed the envelope' we'd not have OLL's nor OC, nor really even CCW in this state.

WHY should I have to lay down my right to carry when/if I archery hunt? I can when its NOT AO season; besides I can be trusted to own a gun, get a permit and everything in between but cant be trusted to hunt with a Bow with a firearm as a simple backup? Its FUD from the left and it needs to go..............

E Pluribus Unum
06-09-2010, 1:02 PM
Why all the weasling around trying to find a loophole?

If everyone had that idea, there would be no such thing as an OLL.

mif_slim
06-09-2010, 1:09 PM
So why did they destroy your friends gun if it was still in the car? If I have to drive through the area I'm going to be hunting to get to the camp spot does that make it illegal to have a gun with me in my car at the same time as a bow even if I'm just driving through?

I haven't done much bow hunting but last year I went camping during bow season and I thought about bringing a bow so I could leave camp and go bow hunting. I decided against it because I was bringing guns on the camping trip. Could I have brought my bow and went hunting or would that be illegal?

That is why they ask questions first before checking. He asked where we were going, little did we know we're not suppose to have a firearm with us, we said "headed to our hunting spot", if we said, "going home" Im sure he would of let us go, but we wernt. Kind of sucks to be a honest citizen and missed up a little and get our guns taken away and see plenty of poachers get away..but I guess its life, sometimes you have to play dirty to get away.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-09-2010, 1:35 PM
The loophole thing goes both ways. Exploiting loopholes is also 1 of the things that brings on these ridiculous laws.

metalhead357
06-09-2010, 1:43 PM
The loophole thing goes both ways. Exploiting loopholes is also 1 of the things that brings on these ridiculous laws.

No its idiotic politicians catering to the lowest denomenator for the sake of a buck & re-election.

ScottB
06-09-2010, 1:49 PM
The law has nothing whatsoever to do with the Second Amendment. Nothing!

Look the simple reason you can't carry a firearm in an archery is because any number of a-holes would use it as an opportunity beat the draw odds or get to a better season/zone by carrying a bow, but shoot the animal with the firearm.

Its an archery hunt. By definition. Not taking a gun in the field is the deal you make for the opportunity to hunt early and without competing with gun hunters. Get over the gun thing or don't apply for archery deer/elk/antelope hunts. It really is that simple.

I have to say, this thread is being propelled by a completely juvenal mentality.

igorts
06-09-2010, 2:16 PM
I contacted DFG, and supporting my opinion of your buddy carring a gun next to you while you are archery hunting:

"As long as you are not carrying your buddy's firearm with you for any reason while archery hunting, then there is no violation. However, you may find yourself subject to an intensive inspection of any deer carcass you may harvest so the warden can tell if it potentially was shot with a firearm, instead of an arrow".

Patrick Foy
Fish and Game Warden
California Department of Fish and Game
1416 9th Street, Room 1342-C
Sacramento, CA 95814

mif_slim
06-09-2010, 2:22 PM
Just remember that the original question was "Can I" not "Can someone else"

igorts
06-09-2010, 2:41 PM
Just remember that the original question was "Can I" not "Can someone else"

Agreed,
I'm waiting for answer on this one with LEO and/or CCW. will post after i get it.

and i just got it:
While you are archery hunting with an AO tag, you cannot carry a firearm. Doesn't matter if you have a CCW permit or are a LEO.
but you can carry at your camp site

taperxz
06-09-2010, 5:03 PM
The law has nothing whatsoever to do with the Second Amendment. Nothing!

Look the simple reason you can't carry a firearm in an archery is because any number of a-holes would use it as an opportunity beat the draw odds or get to a better season/zone by carrying a bow, but shoot the animal with the firearm.

Its an archery hunt. By definition. Not taking a gun in the field is the deal you make for the opportunity to hunt early and without competing with gun hunters. Get over the gun thing or don't apply for archery deer/elk/antelope hunts. It really is that simple.

I have to say, this thread is being propelled by a completely juvenal mentality.

this!!!!

When you hunt, there are ethics involved and bow hunting is just that bow only. Get over your right to carry or simply dont bow hunt in the bow season.
If you want to carry a side arm you can bow hunt during the general season and pack a side arm with you. You would be allowed to do this as it is not archery only!!

lewdogg21
06-09-2010, 5:42 PM
I carry for marijuana farmers (mega busts around where I hunt) and cats.

I don't worry about bears except when I bump them in the dark at less than 15 yards and we both scare the crap out of each other.

dodgerfan175
06-09-2010, 6:31 PM
Agreed,
I'm waiting for answer on this one with LEO and/or CCW. will post after i get it.

and i just got it:
While you are archery hunting with an AO tag, you cannot carry a firearm. Doesn't matter if you have a CCW permit or are a LEO.
but you can carry at your camp site

So they'll allow it in camp and if you bag one it will be up to the warden to determine whether it was taken with an arrow. This will be my first year bow hunting, is it pretty obvious to tell the difference between a arrow hole and a bullet hole?

igorts
06-09-2010, 6:43 PM
i saw a warden stick a finger in a wound hole and saying "i'm not signing on this one".
Don't know what happened next, mine was clear.:D
good rule or not, we have to follow. but i personally would prefer to carry, not to hunt with, but for my protection. Not much can you do with an arrow if you are being stalked, or charged.

spectr17
06-09-2010, 9:40 PM
Several states allow bowhunters to carry a pistol while bowhunting in case of a bear or cougar attack. It makes sense, you can also have encounters out here with 2 legged goblins. It's something I'd like to see CBH address with the DFG. Wardens have enough testing gear to tell if there is a gunshot in a animal so that's no problem.

What really made me a believer in letting bowhunters be armed was my buddy Pete getting stalked by a cougar at FHL a couple years back. He was able to knock an arrow but who knows if he would have even got that shot off had the cat not broke off the attack. The other problem Pete had was his jacket was stuffed in his quiver when he encountered the cat and reloading would have been tough. I'll take my chances with a pistol over a bow any day.

DFG should amend that reg to let bowhunters carry pistols for self protection.