PDA

View Full Version : whoa - 30,000 off-list receivers in CA!!!!

bwiese
03-24-2006, 2:50 PM
Okay folks.

This "2nd-hand reliable" - that is, from a smart, reliable person who has contact with mid-level DOJ Firearms staff about various other matters.

Apparently way more significant off-list action has been happening in SoCal than I thought.

The DOJ seems to think, from audits and other stats, that there are around new 30,000 off-list lowers (not sure how many are AKs vs ARs - or nonAK/nonAR like FAL clones, but prob a very small percentage) that have made it into CA. I'm also not sure if that number includes early stuff that didn't get listed since 2000 and not reg'd as AW (if there's a way to determine that).

Baby, that's some momentum. With numbers like that, they gotta list.

[Blacklisted, you may update the appropriate files :) ]

rips31
03-24-2006, 2:54 PM
does this mean that we should all buy as many lowers as we can before they make the list? :D

Stanze
03-24-2006, 2:55 PM
I thought they were going to ban them in two weeks and we'd be the only one at the range with a non-listed AR rifles garnering all the "priceless" looks.:confused:

Now, everyone will have one!

*kicks rock*

(The above text was humorous)

GO NON-LISTED LOWER CLUB!:cool:

phish
03-24-2006, 3:27 PM
what's up with Silicon Valley and NorCal?

come on, there's gotta be more geeks with disposable income that are into guns out there :confused:

blacklisted
03-24-2006, 3:27 PM
It will be taken care of.

grammaton76
03-24-2006, 4:36 PM

come on, there's gotta be more geeks with disposable income that are into guns out there :confused:

Having worked at MP3.com and interviewed on-site at Google, I can say that the dot-com scene is a really big haven of liberal hippie types. The stereotypes are correct, for the most part. Heck, seeing that Google was "more of the same" is one of the main reasons I didn't pursue interviews further with them. Working around the libs at MP3 was miserable.

gs3608
03-24-2006, 4:38 PM
I just purchased my 3rd lower, my buddy just picked up his 3rd, and we know about 6 other people who have been buying up what ever lowers they could get a hold of. All total, we have 22 recievers between us. Not bad huh?Norcal's catching up :) Thanks to the folks at Almaden Guns and props to Bill W.

rips31
03-24-2006, 4:39 PM

geeks like scifi guns. they don't like the 'real world.' the bay area is the biggest bastion of liberalness in the state (yes, even more than la).

grammaton76
03-24-2006, 4:47 PM
geeks like scifi guns. they don't like the 'real world.' the bay area is the biggest bastion of liberalness in the state (yes, even more than la).

Once the P90 was adopted by the SG-1 team, folks on sci-fi forums started wanting them. :)

Of course, the problem is that the vast majority will buy Airsoft and then go, "Ah, I have what I'm looking for."

blacklisted
03-24-2006, 5:03 PM
MOST updates have been made, I just have to tweak a few things. Site should be updated by 6.

CALI-gula
03-24-2006, 5:16 PM
Once the P90 was adopted by the SG-1 team, folks on sci-fi forums started wanting them. :)

Of course, the problem is that the vast majority will buy Airsoft and then go, "Ah, I have what I'm looking for."

This is true; but because of this revelation you have put forth, I have come to realize this means that with all of the fake Luke Skywalker/Jedi Knight Lightsabers that these geeks buy from comic book inserts, then this is sure proof there must be a real lightsaber available somewhere on this great earth!!

I am not shocked by the number being 30,000 lowers. I figured it would be about 10,000 lowers a month, from around the first week of January when it really picked up. I don't think that will slow - while those early to buy might be backing off or slowing on more purchases, word of mouth will hit the rest of CA, those unaware or apathetic, or late bloomers, and cause it to continue momentum exponentially. So while the most avid small numbers of early buyers may have stopped buying multiple lowers, who possibly affected the big figures at first, the amount new buyers that will pick up 1 or 2 each will grow, and keep the numbers coming in at a high figure, compensating to keep the average at around 10,000 per month.

PanzerAce
03-24-2006, 5:21 PM
This is true; but because of this revelation you have put forth, I have come to realize this means that with all of the fake Luke Skywalker/Jedi Knight Lightsabers that these geeks buy from comic book inserts, then this is sure proof there must be a real lightsaber available somewhere on this great earth!!

lol, its called a GE mini gun :D

grammaton76
03-24-2006, 5:40 PM

*grin* Good one. Actually, my point was it would've been nice if they'd gotten into real firearms instead of being able to opt-out and go into Airsoft instead. Then again, Airsofters frequently cross over anyway.

On the other points, I still want a good "short FAQ" PDF to print out and take to the range with me - I keep meaning to write one myself. I went to the range yesterday and was basically swarmed with no less than 5 folks asking questions on the off-list lowers. I know not all of them were going to remember calguns, etc, but if I'd had 20 or so fliers with me I could've left each of them with a hardcopy for reference...

sac7000
03-24-2006, 5:45 PM
Okay folks.

This "2nd-hand reliable" - that is, from a smart, reliable person who has contact with mid-level DOJ Firearms staff about various other matters.

Apparently way more significant off-list action has been happening in SoCal than I thought.

The DOJ seems to think, from audits and other stats, that there are around new 30,000 off-list lowers (not sure how many are AKs vs ARs - or nonAK/nonAR like FAL clones, but prob a very small percentage) that have made it into CA. I'm also not sure if that number includes early stuff that didn't get listed since 2000 and not reg'd as AW (if there's a way to determine that).

Baby, that's some momentum. With numbers like that, they gotta list.

[Blacklisted, you may update the appropriate files :) ]

I'd like to see a document with those figures on it that looks official enough to drop in front of a few reluctant FFL's in order to convince them not only is it legal, it's profit waiting to be made.

shopkeep
03-24-2006, 8:08 PM
Personally I think we're seeing a snowball effect. The sales continue to grow exponentially as the number of consumers, distributers, and retailers increase in this new and exciting market. That being said, we're pushing the envelope here folks!

On a side note it is VERY INTERESTING that suddenly the SB-23 clone legislation in Illinois and other states suddenly lost the interest of politicians there this month :D muhaahha!

sac7000
03-24-2006, 8:15 PM
Personally I think we're seeing a snowball effect. The sales continue to grow exponentially as the number of consumers, distributers, and retailers increase in this new and exciting market. That being said, we're pushing the envelope here folks!

On a side note it is VERY INTERESTING that suddenly the SB-23 clone legislation in Illinois and other states suddenly lost the interest of politicians there this month :D muhaahha!

We truly do live in interesting times.... Let us continue to push the envelope until the friggin' thing pops!

blacklisted
03-24-2006, 8:40 PM
http://www.lockyersguns.com

Satex
03-24-2006, 9:15 PM
If the 30,000 number is correct and "if" it gets listed, then it means that they will have to deal with 3333.3 registrations per day for 90 days. Scary!
I guess return receipt will be the only way to make sure we are protected against "sorry, we never received your paperwork, you are now a felon!"

Sorry, made a mistake on the decimal point. It's 30,000 over 90 days = 333.3 (the .3 is very important :-) )
I am not sure if registration is 60 or 90 days. But in any case, that would be a lot of processing!

sac7000
03-24-2006, 9:30 PM
If the 30,000 number is correct and "if" it gets listed, then it means that they will have to deal with 3333.3 registrations per day for 90 days. Scary!
I guess return receipt will be the only way to make sure we are protected against "sorry, we never received your paperwork, you are now a felon!"

3333.3 registrations per day would be if the list came out tomorrow. The longer they wait, the bigger the workload becomes. 90 days would have to be extended out, way out...

Surveyor
03-24-2006, 9:44 PM
http://www.lockyersguns.com

Ya know, an AMD 65 (w/16'"bbl) would look a lot scarier than that AK with the pretty wooden stock. ;)

blacklisted
03-24-2006, 9:49 PM
Ya know, an AMD 65 (w/16'"bbl) would look a lot scarier than that AK with the pretty wooden stock. ;)

These guns will scare the sheep no problem, they don't distinguish :)

Surveyor
03-24-2006, 9:56 PM
These guns will scare the sheep no problem, they don't distinguish :)

I suppose the AK does have that traditional AW look to it. Very negative associations with it for the other side. :D

gose
03-24-2006, 10:07 PM

Why? Now would be a good time for them, since all lowers are belong to California ;)

phish
03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
since all lowers are belong to California ;)

lmao, that's a good twist on that one! :p

Trader Jack
03-24-2006, 10:32 PM
I just purchased my 3rd lower, my buddy just picked up his 3rd, and we know about 6 other people who have been buying up what ever lowers they could get a hold of. All total, we have 22 recievers between us. Not bad huh?Norcal's catching up :) Thanks to the folks at Almaden Guns and props to Bill W.

And just what are you going to do with them?

There was another survey taken and the results were 90% of the buyers of the lowers were between 18 and 35 years old.(going on 15 to 25) 95% where never in the military forces but bought the lowers to look macho. Last but not least 90% never got past the 11th grade.

I doubt that any one on this form can give an intelligent reason for this lower craze. It seems like this. Daddy(DOJ) won't let me have my candy so I will have to sneek it. In states where you can buy a AR, you can bet no Stag Lower craze is in effect.

:mad:

Hunter
03-24-2006, 10:35 PM

There was another survey taken and the results were 90% of the buyers of the lowers were between 18 and 35 years old.(going on 15 to 25) 95% where never in the military forces but bought the lowers to look macho. Last but not least 90% never got past the 11th grade.

I doubt that any one on this form can give an intelligent reason for this lower craze. It seems like this. Daddy(DOJ) won't let me have my candy so I will have to sneek it. In states where you can buy a AR, you can bet no Stag Lower craze is in effect.

Please quote the source of this "poll" otherwise I call BS. Especially the part "90% never got past the 11th grade".

blacklisted
03-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I never got past 11th grade, but I have never heard anyone else here say that. ;)

Trader Jack, you sound like you have some "issues".

I wont resort to personal attacks, although I'm tempted.

Most people got these lowers because they like the AR-15 platform, and want a chance at getting a non-neutered rifle.

FreedomIsNotFree
03-24-2006, 10:54 PM

Even if the 30,000 number is correct, your math on the number of AW applications per day is way off.

30,000/60 = 500

That would mean 500 apps per day....still a large task that may take longer than 90 days.

Surveyor
03-24-2006, 10:57 PM

WTF is your problem? It's none of your beeswax what we plan on doing with them! Just because you have no interest in them doesn't make them useless. You sound like some resentful little b1tch who is too scared to buy one himself/herself. Or maybe you're just a first class player hater who can't stand to see somebody else get something good. Either play nice and be happy for us or p1ss off!

Have a nice day troll.:D :D :D

tenpercentfirearms
03-24-2006, 11:00 PM
I doubt that any one on this form can give an intelligent reason for this lower craze.Spoken like a true liberal. I will give you an intelligent reason, because I can! You want more? Because we have a 2nd Amendment. More? Ever hear of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? I don't need any kind of reason for buying a lower, only that I want to. You don't have to if you don't want. Go find something else to do with your time or join us because you know you want a lower also! :D

Welcome to capitalistic America! Where people buy things because they want to, not because they have a need or for the greater good of society. Amazine some people haven't figured this out.

phish
03-24-2006, 11:03 PM

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/chill.jpg

blacklisted
03-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Even if the 30,000 number is correct, your math on the number of AW applications per day is way off.

30,000/60 = 500

That would mean 500 apps per day....still a large task that may take longer than 90 days.

Not only that, most people bought more than one.

Justang
03-24-2006, 11:11 PM

Funny that this guy says 90% of us havent made it past the 11th grade, but his grammer and punctuation are that of a middle-schooler.

blacklisted
03-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Funny that this guy says 90% of us havent made it past the 11th grade, but his grammer and punctuation are that of a middle-schooler.

Yes, it is. It's quite obvious that he's a troll.

icormba
03-24-2006, 11:13 PM
hmmmm....
30,000 x DROS fees?
If the DOJ charged DROS per receiver... that's ~3/4 of a MILLION dollars!!!

oh crap! better not give them any ideas!

and imagine all the "use TAX" the state will collect this year & next :)

Gnote
03-24-2006, 11:44 PM

30,000/60 = 500

All your math is wrong.:D We have 90 days to register (I think); they can take as long as they need to process.

If DOJ does have to process all within 90 days then I say we all wait until the last two weeks to send in out card. :D :D :D That should keep them busy.

Apostolos
03-25-2006, 12:49 AM
I doubt that any one on this form can give an intelligent reason for this lower craze.

I bought eight lowers just to aggravate people like you. Obviously it worked, so I must be pretty intelligent. :rolleyes:

God Bless,
David

gs3608
03-25-2006, 1:00 AM

I admit i'm being a little greedy, but it seems to be the trend here. If your like me who missed out in 1999 and have been kicking youself in the *** ever since, then you'd understand the feeling of urgency to stockpile when the chance presents itself.

Pablo
03-25-2006, 1:24 AM
Guys! Please don't feed the troll!

Back on subject! It's nice to see we reach 30,000. All of the sudden the 50,000 mark seems possible!

grammaton76
03-25-2006, 1:28 AM

Any state where people can suddenly get AR's, who couldn't have them before, will experience a similar rush. Supply and demand, that's all. There's five years' worth of pent-up demand, which is further exacerbated by the fact we can't buy complete rifles (well, unless they've been modded first, which people may as well do themselves). Just look at what happens when a state flips from "may-issue" to "shall-issue", for example... big rush to get permits, just in case the state changes their mind later on. No different here.

Charles B.
03-25-2006, 1:56 AM

I can give you an intelligent reason. The lower craze is because the DOJ (Daddy as you say) IS letting us have our candy. Nobody had to sneek their lowers in. And if candy is you analogy then I've got a bunch of cavities. :D

ALTSEC972
03-25-2006, 3:53 AM
I don't personally feel any need to explain myself, my views, or my personal spending habits to some winey, leftis, mauron..... Mi Levl of edukation is nunn ov ur buziness Jack!
Jus bcause Stanferd ur Berklee let u in bekauz u prommissed to hug their treeees duzn't giv u da rite 2 talk down 2 evry1 els.

tha beuty uf a FREE society, is that we hav the rite 2 do as we Damn wel pleze (fer da mos part)! Sadly..... Peeple like Jack think they know better than all of society, and should have the right to dictate what is acceptable and what is not....

Who really cares what we do with our lowers? Who's business is it, really? (granted, this all goes out the window if we start stickin up 7/11's, etc)

Our level of training, or age, and our educational background has no bearing on this issue of offlist lowers, and the fact that 30,000 of them have been sold in CA.

bwiese
03-25-2006, 4:28 AM

30,000/60 = 500

Not only that, most people bought more than one.

Not everyone bought multiples. I think quite a few Johnny-come-latelies just got one for the heck of it "just in case".

Of the 30K lowers, I'd bet those went into 20K hands. The # of folks buying 2 or more is relatively small, and some fraction of those wanted to latch on initially to several and they're being PPTd to friends who couldn't make it to group buys, etc.

Furthermore, there is no requirement for the DOJ to process all regs within 90 days. Within 30 days of receipt, the DOJ must acknowledge reg is complete and accepted for processing, or request info if reg form filing has insufficient or unclear data: this latter condition has a 15-day window in which you can respond. Furthermore, they have 75 days to complete processing of the application.

CALI-gula
03-25-2006, 4:34 AM
And just what are you going to do with them? ...

I've bought 20 so far. One I plan to build into a .50BMG rifle. On another, I plan to build a .223 CCW pistol to fit in my back waistband. On a 3rd, I plan to install an automatic sear in it, then mount it in the grill of my car and operate it from the driver's seat by use of a 12V solenoid whenever fits of road-rage hit me just right. The 4th one I plan on installing in the door jamb of my house, with a motion sensor and solenoid to act as a trip alarm that will fire the gun to shoot anyone attempting to enter my home while I am away from the premises. That leaves 16 remaining lowers that I plan on painting each a different bright primary or fluorescent color, in order to make a beautiful mobile to hang above my 3 month old child's crib. I am thinking of taking the musical wind up box out of the butt of his Teddy Bear, and implementing that into a parasitic gear-drive off the side of the shaft of the servo motor I am using for the Mobile, to serve as a musical accompaniment to the twirling action of the mobile. Or I may just let him use them as building blocks... still undecided.

There was another survey taken and the results were 90% of the buyers of the lowers were between 18 and 35 years old. (going on 15 to 25)

I remember that survey. I was at the mall at some time in mid-February with my 16 year old girlfriend (don't tell my wife) and we were both approached by a Harvard looking gal, asking questions about purchases of lowers. She was hot. She also gave us free tickets to a game show that was being filmed before a live studio audience at Paramount studios on Gower. Being that the demographic they were looking for was between 18 and 35, she could not give me the tickets; I am 48 years old. Hey, but we scored anyway because she thought my girlfriend was 18. Yoo hoo!!

95% where never in the military forces but bought the lowers to look macho. Last but not least 90% never got past the 11th grade.

I don't know if it was to be macho, as that would have been so Village People and Eric Estrada. No, I bought them as bling. I might dissuade from the mobile idea noted above, and get one studded with rhinestones to use as a belt buckle. Pimp my belt buckle, y'all. Just wait until my girlfriend’s 11th grade biology class sees that ice! Then they'll really respect my ROTC uniform and they won't make fun of my button-down shirt stretching around my 48 year old beer belly either.

I doubt that any one on this form can give an intelligent reason for this lower craze.

I can - there was a mad upper craze two years ago in CA, and I guess everyone has finally gotten sick of firing their uppers by hitting them with a hammer, being relegated to using them as single-shot weapons only. It is so hard to hunt for deer out of the window of my car like that, and I think all the target shooters have finally reached the frustration point of aiming the plywood board, steadying it on the benchrest, hitting their thumb with the hammer, etc. A lower makes the job a whole lot easier...

It seems like this. Daddy(DOJ) won't let me have my candy so I will have to sneek it.

Why are you sneaking it? I have a big pocket of candy for you right here little girl. And... OK, I'll admit it... I AM macho.

In states where you can buy a AR, you can bet no Stag Lower craze is in effect.

I have bought them in several states... a state of joy, a state of panic, a state of complacency, a state of frustration. When I bought my Stag lowers, I think I was in a Garrison state but I may have simply been in a good ol' fashioned police state.

What state were you in when you wrote that post? State of denial?

Garbage in... garbage out.

gs3608
03-25-2006, 4:42 AM
:D :D I'm laughing so hard it hurts!!!!:D :D

NorCal MedTac
03-25-2006, 7:22 AM
Thanks Cali-gula; now I have to go back to the hospital and have my stitches put back in.

tenpercentfirearms
03-25-2006, 7:44 AM
LOL. I read that first sentence and thought, "oh no not again". Then I realized that Caligula just simple wants to live free or die! :D

DougH9
03-25-2006, 8:27 AM
"And just what are you going to do with them?"

That does not come across as a sincere question, but as a put down.

Why do you care what other people leagally do with their time/money.

I would never think to go to a gay forum and ask what they do with synthetic penisis.

You do your thing, I'll do mine.

DougH9
03-25-2006, 8:49 AM
One thought: The large number of off-list lowers may give legitimacy to the class-4 catagory.

If they (the off-lists) were only a small percentage of the toatal AW's, then I can see making a case for normal listing (to keep things simpler for enforcement).

But, if the amount of off-lists approaches a high percentage of the total AW's, the trouble of making a new class becomes more worthwile (to them).

That said...I love those numbers!

Surveyor
03-25-2006, 9:03 AM
I don't personally feel any need to explain myself, my views, or my personal spending habits to some winey, leftis, mauron..... Mi Levl of edukation is nunn ov ur buziness Jack!
Jus bcause Stanferd ur Berklee let u in bekauz u prommissed to hug their treeees duzn't giv u da rite 2 talk down 2 evry1 els.

tha beuty uf a FREE society, is that we hav the rite 2 do as we Damn wel pleze (fer da mos part)! Sadly..... Peeple like Jack think they know better than all of society, and should have the right to dictate what is acceptable and what is not....

Who really cares what we do with our lowers? Who's business is it, really? (granted, this all goes out the window if we start stickin up 7/11's, etc)

Our level of training, or age, and our educational background has no bearing on this issue of offlist lowers, and the fact that 30,000 of them have been sold in CA.
Not to be picky or anything, but you misspelled "rite". It's spelled w-r-i-t-e.

icormba
03-25-2006, 10:07 AM
The only reason I bought any lowers was because everyone else was buying them. ;) I didn't want to be the only guy who didn't get any.

oh crap!! I think I just fell within the specs of an idiot!

bwiese
03-25-2006, 10:23 AM
One thought: The large number of off-list lowers may give legitimacy to the class-4 catagory.

If they (the off-lists) were only a small percentage of the toatal AW's, then I can see making a case for normal listing (to keep things simpler for enforcement).

No, only new statutory law passed by legislature would give legitimacy to Cat 4 category.

We just need 'em to list so we can get in the fight and make that memo go away.

Fjold
03-25-2006, 11:13 AM

And 90% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

xenophobe
03-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Why have I bought so many receivers? Easy...

I plan on making a wind chime... I love the sound when they bump against each other! lol

Gnote
03-25-2006, 3:30 PM
No, only new statutory law passed by legislature would give legitimacy to Cat 4 category.

We just need 'em to list so we can get in the fight and make that memo go away.

A very big... huge... +1!!!!!

Firehawk3
03-25-2006, 6:37 PM
A Wind Chime huh thats an excellent idea!!! i think i am going to make me one of those too just because the paper weight isnt cutting it for me! haha:)

Apostolos
03-25-2006, 7:44 PM
CALI-gula is the king of satire. Thanks for the entertaining read. :)

God Bless,
David

artherd
03-26-2006, 1:47 AM

There was another survey taken and the results were 90% of the buyers of the lowers were between 18 and 35 years old.(going on 15 to 25) 95% where never in the military forces but bought the lowers to look macho.
I know for a fact that the underlined portion is not correct.

Bling Bling 2.0
03-26-2006, 2:00 AM
I even passed the 12th grade!

What statistic do I fit in?

blacklisted
03-26-2006, 2:02 AM
I even passed the 12th grade!

What statistic do I fit in?

Congratulations! LOL!

grammaton76
03-26-2006, 2:05 AM
I know for a fact that the underlined portion is not correct.

Eh, has anyone other than myself looked at TJ's post history?

The man seems to have only two kinds of posts - contribution of interesting gun data, or outright condescending flames. It's like the guy has only two modes - encyclopedia and flamethrower.

I'm also pretty sure he's -'ed my rep once, when actually he was the one incorrect on the post in question. Not entirely sure it was him but one of his signature phrases ("Engage brain before...") was used. No one else came up with a match for that, at least on recent posting history at the time.

PIRATE14
03-26-2006, 7:24 PM
30,000 seems a little w/ my industry contacts but it's not too far off...........

Now you know why the DOJ freaked after they paid me a few visits......

Now lets double that number..........spread the word......

CALI BLACK GOLD RUSH 2006

BLACK RIFLE DISEASE.........there's no cure.........I've had it for over 20 years and am still spreadin it...........I am a sick bastard...........

TonyM
03-26-2006, 7:50 PM
Not to be picky or anything, but you misspelled "rite". It's spelled w-r-i-t-e.

If you're going to nit-pick..... it's actually r-i-g-h-t, not w-r-i-t-e, or the original rite.

;)

patman
03-26-2006, 8:08 PM
The guy who sold "pet rocks" probably laughed his way to the bank! Most things sell because people "want" rather than "need" to think of it.

i.e. which would you choose: a bottle of costco water or one with a picture of the swiss alps?

My lower ranks right up there with my LD of Macross straight from Japan and XMen(s) #1 to #95 [not reprint :D].

The only reason I bought any lowers was because everyone else was buying them. ;) I didn't want to be the only guy who didn't get any.

[deleted]

xenophobe
03-26-2006, 9:24 PM
It's like the guy has only two modes - encyclopedia and flamethrower.

Hey... I resemble that!!!@#@@#! :p

BLACK RIFLE DISEASE.........there's no cure.........I've had it for over 20 years and am still spreadin it...........I am a sick bastard...........

... and I resemble that too! I had my dad buy my first AK-47 when I was like 15, back in like 1983! lol