PDA

View Full Version : Verticle Grip/Handle Legal?

insin
03-24-2006, 2:21 PM
I was at the range with my CA legal fixed mag AR last weekend. Before shooting, I removed my AR from its case and realized something... IS THIS VERTICLE GRIP under the handguard LEGAL? I proceeded to remove it, and had a great day at the range. Now Im wondering if it is legal for me to re-install it? I have no problem keeping it removed, especially since I only paid $15 for it.

Thanks

Jicko
03-24-2006, 2:28 PM
It is LEGAL, as long as you have your "10 rounds magazine" FIXED.
Vertical Grip = Forward Pistol Grip

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:
Rifles
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of
the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

ohsmily
03-24-2006, 2:45 PM
I was at the range with my CA legal fixed mag AR last weekend. Before shooting, I removed my AR from its case and realized something... IS THIS VERTICLE GRIP under the handguard LEGAL? I proceeded to remove it, and had a great day at the range. Now Im wondering if it is legal for me to re-install it? I have no problem keeping it removed, especially since I only paid $15 for it.

Thanks

If you had a rear pistol grip, and flash hider, why do you think you couldn't have a forward pistol grip??????? The whole point of fixing the magazine is to remove the rifle from the realm of being an assault weapon and thus you can put whatever you want on it (no NFA items though).

insin
03-24-2006, 2:58 PM
Okay, just so that I can get this straight... The forward pistol grip is okay, as long as the magazine is 10-rnd fixed?

This is what it sounds like. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thnaks

-aK-
03-24-2006, 3:05 PM
Okay, just so that I can get this straight... The forward pistol grip is okay, as long as the magazine is 10-rnd fixed?

This is what it sounds like. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thnaks

Yes.

Per CA law as long as the magazine is 10 rounds or less and fixed then there are no pistol grip, collapsable buttstock, flash hider restrictions.

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:
Rifles
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of
the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Chaingun
03-24-2006, 3:06 PM

You are correct

insin
03-24-2006, 3:10 PM
Thanks All for the Replies!