PDA

View Full Version : California CCW Recieved - Took 8 Days!!!

DParker
03-24-2006, 12:18 PM
I am stunned and amazed...turned in my application with range certificate at 4:30 last thursday, was photographed and fingerprinted, and took a quick written test...done by 5:00 PM. Was told it would take several weeks to process and then "the Lieutenant" would review it all and make a decision.

They called at 8:45 this morning saying it had been approved and was ready to pick up. Eight calender days! I LOVE Madera County! One of the few SANE parts of this state. The permit lists all six weapons that I listed on my application and they said if I needed to add any others, just bring it back and they would add them to the back.

Was headed into a rough part of Fresno to do inspections at an apartment complex at 10:00 and I took the time to circle by the sheriff's office first. It felt SO good to be legally armed. Greatly improved my mindframe and allowed me to better concentrate on work.

Prospector
03-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Congrats, only if they can do the same in socal.

rips31
03-24-2006, 12:51 PM
or in sf.

congrats.

ajwells
03-24-2006, 2:16 PM
Was headed into a rough part of Fresno...

I think that's an oxymoron.
:)

Anyway, seriously, congrats, I live in LA so Im basically screwed in that area.

50 Freak
03-24-2006, 2:35 PM
Wow, 8 days!!!!

I waited 5 months for my CCW to be issued.

StuckInCA
03-24-2006, 3:32 PM
Mine out of Riverside took 3 months...

-Andy

Wumpscut223
03-24-2006, 3:39 PM
Congrats! Good to hear. Did you have to write any "reason" on your application? What did you enter?

Santa Cruz Armory
03-24-2006, 3:45 PM
They handed me mine over the counter......No, wait that was in a dream! I live in Santa Cruz county, the FOURTH most liberal, tree huggin' county in the state! :(

:Edit: Woo Hoo! I became a Senior Citizen! post 100!! Do I get a balloon or sumpthin'?

Surly
03-24-2006, 6:06 PM
I think that's an oxymoron.
:)

The hell it is...Fresno beat Oakland for # of homicides a number of years running.

Ever heard of Hmong gangs? :eek:

Congrats DParker! My family still lives in Madera, Fresno and Coarsegold...and all of them that want CCW's, HAVE CCW's.

Beats Los Angeles county in that respect by a healthy margin.

DParker
03-24-2006, 7:04 PM
Congrats! Good to hear. Did you have to write any "reason" on your application? What did you enter?

Wrote an entire page of "reasons". Threw in everything I could think of. Realtor meeting strangers in isolated and vacant properties. Property manager (we own some rentals) that collects and transports money. RVers that frequently travel to isolated locations in our motorhome. Avid shooters and members of the local range that frequently transports multiple guns and ammo to and from the range.

Figured I would just throw it all against the wall and hopefully something would stick...though from what I have been told, Madera County is pretty easy and is virtually a "shall issue" county as long as you jump through the hoops and have a clean record.

bunkerbuster
03-24-2006, 8:16 PM
that is faster than UT CCW turn around.

MadMex
03-25-2006, 2:35 AM
Dparker,

Too cool that you were able to list six firearms. A buddy of mine in Tulare County has five listed. Unfortunately most sheriffs interpret the three lines on the card as a maximum of three firearms.

Richard
03-25-2006, 10:06 AM
I know what you mean.....ever since I was permitted a CCW 7 years ago my mindset definitley changed....a lot of factors came into play...being sued/jail for wrongful shooting, landing in the can for brandishing,.....hell,even pulling it and having it to your side prematurely can land you in court. Goes without saying that it carries a great responsability......with all that in mind my propensity to accept challenges visual or verbal ceased immidialtley, allthough that type of behavior was mostly attributed to my youth. Still don't get me wrong and think a CCW gives you that mindset,but it definitley helped me realize my legal/financial exposure.

I'm 41yo,6'1"and 245lbs....so I can handle myself pretty good. Point is I find it real easy to walk away from any potencial physical altercation with pride intact.....but lay a hand on me or make a move on me...and watch out.

Best advise...be ready for anything....run as many situations in your mind as possible. Have a plan,but most important stay in control,avoid escalation.

A gun doesn't guarentee your safety ,only better's your odds.,but remember your odds increase to land in front of a Judge also.

Congrats....;)

[/QUOTE]
It felt SO good to be legally armed. Greatly improved my mindframe and allowed me to better concentrate on work.[/QUOTE]

383green
03-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Mine out of Riverside took 3 months...

-Andy
I'm in Riverside, too. Would you mind sharing the justification(s) you listed on your application, either here or in an email if you don't want to discuss it publicly?

calAWBsux
03-25-2006, 11:03 AM
How about Kings County? Is it tough to get a CCW there?

DParker
03-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Dparker,

Too cool that you were able to list six firearms. A buddy of mine in Tulare County has five listed. Unfortunately most sheriffs interpret the three lines on the card as a maximum of three firearms.

Yeah, the state app only has three lines, but it does say "use additional page if needed" or something like that. So, I attached a computer written page with all six on it. I will be adding a seventh (new S&W 642) as soon as it arrives. On the permit itself, they got five on the front and then it says "additional weapons on back" and they typed the sixth on the back. Plenty of room back there for more.

Also, in Madera County, you only have to qualify with one weapon. They didn't ask and do not seem to care which one it was. That is great if you want derringers or NAA minirevolvers on the permit...kinda hard to qualify with those!

DParker
03-25-2006, 11:45 AM
I know what you mean.....ever since I was permitted a CCW 7 years ago my mindset definitley changed....a lot of factors came into play...being sued/jail for wrongful shooting, landing in the can for brandishing,.....hell,even pulling it and having it to your side prematurely can land you in court. Goes without saying that it carries a great responsability......with all that in mind my propensity to accept challenges visual or verbal ceased immidialtley, allthough that type of behavior was mostly attributed to my youth. Still don't get me wrong and think a CCW gives you that mindset,but it definitley helped me realize my legal/financial exposure.

I'm 41yo,6'1"and 245lbs....so I can handle myself pretty good. Point is I find it real easy to walk away from any potencial physical altercation with pride intact.....but lay a hand on me or make a move on me...and watch out.

Best advise...be ready for anything....run as many situations in your mind as possible. Have a plan,but most important stay in control,avoid escalation.

A gun doesn't guarentee your safety ,only better's your odds.,but remember your odds increase to land in front of a Judge also.

All good advice. The seriousness of the responsiblity is significant. My wife and I have discussed it (she received her CCW at the same time) and we agree that if ever we percieved a need to draw, we need to understand that given our legal environment, we are putting our freedom, home, and significant financial resources on the line.

Even a completely clean shoot opens you up to major legal and civil exposure.

383green
03-25-2006, 11:48 AM
in Madera County, you only have to qualify with one weapon. They didn't ask and do not seem to care which one it was. That is great if you want derringers or NAA minirevolvers on the permit...kinda hard to qualify with those!

Hmm, I wonder if it's that way in Riverside, too. I'd qualify a lot easier with a 1911 than my Tomcat.

DParker
03-25-2006, 12:18 PM
How about Kings County? Is it tough to get a CCW there?

According to packing.org there are 287 permits in Kings County out of a population of ~130,000. Madera County has four times that with less population. I'd check with the sheriff's office and see what they say.

Apeman88
03-25-2006, 2:35 PM
Anyone know if Orange County is easy to get a CCW? I work late and at least once or twice a week have to carry large sum of cash home and to the bank in the morning for deposit.

Ken

QuickOnTheDraw
03-25-2006, 5:30 PM
Have you done a search here on CALGUNs or check www.packing.org.

Apeman88
03-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Yes, I checked with packing.org and here as well. Also talked to Turners and a few other gun shops in OC in the past. Turner is even offering CCW courses but when asked the "likelyhood" of actually getting one... they said it is based on "need" and I must prove I "need" one. Just trying to figure out what the amount of "need" equate to. The Turner guys says OC is a lot easier after the new Sherrif ( I think in 2000) but it still not "apply and they will issue". Only a small handful get approved every year.

As for packing.org... one guy applied in OC and never wrote if he got it or not. The stats say "almost shall issue" ... well... what I want to know is what the "almost" entails... hope someone that got one can tell me what their "reason" is.

Ken

RJ Dunn
03-26-2006, 9:12 PM
Great for you Parker, I am to a Home inspector. Just the other day outside of Salinas, I had a bunch of Gang bangers around my truck when I came out of a house I was inspecting. They at first asked where I was from and what I was doing there. After talking with them they figured I was not a threat and moved on.I locked up my equipment in the front seat, but felt uneasy about leaving my littlegiant out in the truckbed. I wish I could get a CCW. But here in monterey county "It's not going to happen". #@&!^* liberals

Tom Riddle
03-27-2006, 1:35 PM
Well done DParker. I had heard that Madera county's sheriff had his stuff together. It took me about 20 days and probably 4 or 5 days of that was my fault. Drug my feet on some paperwork. I live in Fresno county but I got mine through my city PD chief. He's a great guy that understands a citizen's right to protect himself and his family.

Tom Riddle
03-27-2006, 1:39 PM
Kings county is difficult. I have heard that a direct threat from a badguy won't hardly do it.

zefflyn
03-28-2006, 8:54 AM
I work late and at least once or twice a week have to carry large sum of cash home and to the bank in the morning for deposit.

Speaking of that, I'm going to apply for one in Alameda County, with justification that when I go to the shooting range, I'm carrying around $5,000 worth of firearms, and would prefer not to be held up and robbed of it!

Have any of you added up the retail value of what you take to the range? That's some serious cash moving around!

gmcem50
03-28-2006, 5:54 PM
Anyone know if Orange County is easy to get a CCW? I work late and at least once or twice a week have to carry large sum of cash home and to the bank in the morning for deposit.

Ken

PM me; I am in the process now.

Sawdust
04-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Just adding a data point for future searchers:

It took 17 months for Ventura County to issue mine.

Sawdust

linuxgunner
04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Just adding a data point for future searchers:

It took 17 months for Ventura County to issue mine.

Sawdust

Wow, they sure aren't in any hurry!

Please post this type of infomration in the CaliforniaCCW.org forum: http://californiaccw.org. We're collecting info on every county. We have 58 separate forums, one for each county.

ace_31
02-17-2010, 2:25 PM
Does anybody mind me moving in with them until I can get mine? I just got back to CA and I cant get used to not carrying!!!

Barbarossa
02-17-2010, 2:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Galt38/zombie_thread.jpg

Bumping a 4 year old post 4TW!

keneva
02-17-2010, 2:38 PM
Awesome, I want mine too!

Glock22Fan
02-17-2010, 2:44 PM
Yes, I checked with packing.org and here as well. Also talked to Turners and a few other gun shops in OC in the past. Turner is even offering CCW courses but when asked the "likelyhood" of actually getting one... they said it is based on "need" and I must prove I "need" one. Just trying to figure out what the amount of "need" equate to. The Turner guys says OC is a lot easier after the new Sherrif ( I think in 2000) but it still not "apply and they will issue". Only a small handful get approved every year.

Gosh, this information is so screwed, I just don't know where to begin.

It used to be relatively simple (Sheriff Carona) to get a CCW, but since he lost his job after being accused of wrongdoing, he has been replaced by Sheriff Hutchens. She is of the L.A. school of thought. If you really, really need one, then maybe you will be lucky. Many current holders are not being renewed on expiry.

They are possible in Orange County (TBJ has assisted several people to get them) but you need a really good cause.

lowracer
02-17-2010, 2:48 PM
Dang this has got to be a record for a dead thread brought back to life.