PDA

View Full Version : Thompson?

superhondaz50
03-24-2006, 12:29 PM
So i'm sitting here looking at calguns and my little brother (a ww2 nut) comes over and says "Wouldnt a semi-auto, auto-ordnace thompson be legal if you took off the grip?" So my question is....would it be legal, I dont see it listed?

shopkeep
03-24-2006, 1:23 PM
A gripless or fixed magazine Thompson would be lawful to possess. It is not on the Roberti Roos list and is not a series weapon so it isn't banned by name. As long as it doesn't have evil features it is lawful to possess.

Just post pictures when you finish your build or get one into the state without a grip on it :D!

superhondaz50
03-24-2006, 3:49 PM
I have to finish my off-list AR first! Then i'm gonna see if BSP in Riverside can hook me up with a gripless tommy gun! :D I assume they wont be listed, same thing with all the H&K Clones and such. I think I need more credit cards!

Charliegone
03-24-2006, 8:02 PM
Damn! Now we are thinking tommy guns? Hehe.:D

socalguns
03-25-2006, 1:39 AM
a thompson with a 10 round mag, oh what fun :(

Justang
03-25-2006, 6:42 AM
I've always wanted one of those.
Guess I've got another gun to add to my list...

shin_en
03-25-2006, 8:27 AM
Please stop... I want them all too! I'm still waiting for my AR and AK receivers, now people are bringing up thompsons, hk91s, 94s, FNCs (okay I think I brought that one up).

Next people are going to be asking for mp40s, L85s, sig 551s and 552s. Hell maybe even a FAMAS... damnit anyone have lowers for these too? :D

Bladewurk
03-25-2006, 9:13 AM
Don't wanna put out your fire,I did check this out over 2 years ago and examined some actual Kahr and GI kits.The semi Thompson is completely different and I believe inferior design to the Full auto guns.I would investigate carefully the reliability of the complete Semi guns,especially Kahr.Most owners seem very disappointed with the semi design and quality,reliability issues.On the other hand the 1928 Kits that are on the market now are outstanding quality and design,just no way that I can see to assemble into legal Semi auto.JMHO...Regards,Phil

triaged
03-25-2006, 10:03 PM
a thompson with a 10 round mag, oh what fun :(Tommy's were one of the guns I just figured I would never own and so bought no standard capacity mags before the ban...:(

Justang
03-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Don't wanna put out your fire,I did check this out over 2 years ago and examined some actual Kahr and GI kits.The semi Thompson is completely different and I believe inferior design to the Full auto guns.I would investigate carefully the reliability of the complete Semi guns,especially Kahr.Most owners seem very disappointed with the semi design and quality,reliability issues.On the other hand the 1928 Kits that are on the market now are outstanding quality and design,just no way that I can see to assemble into legal Semi auto.JMHO...Regards,Phil

I read this too.
But I'd still like to have one. :D

gibbet
03-26-2006, 12:49 AM
The older Auto-Ordinance guns are best (for semis). A 1927A1 Deluxe with the M1A1 handguard. Better quality than the Kahr guns. Finding them is hard, they pop up on the boards now and then. Trigger is kinda long and its heavy, esp because the 16" barrel. Tommygunner.com will cut it down for you and pin the cutts comp and that might help. No reliability issues on my end. Eats anything from 230 GR FMJ to lead cast reloads.

FA ones are fun too. Makes the MP5s feel like Mattel toys. Heavy by today's standards and you gotta hold on well. Had trouble keeping 5 rnd bursts on the paper. A real paper shredder. Rent them in Vegas and do a side-by-side compairison. Funnest FA subgun I have ever used.

jdberger
03-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Anyone want to post a photoshop of what a Thompson would look like without a pistol grip?

Here is a photo

http://www.corpse.org/issue_14/images/thompson-h.jpg

Ooops! Not that Thompson....this one....

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/images/m1fa.gif

CALI-gula
03-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Anyone want to post a photoshop of what a Thompson would look like without a pistol grip?

http://www.corpse.org/issue_14/images/thompson-h.jpg

Technically.... at some point, this particular Thompson DID have a pistol grip.

...It was then removed from his cold dead hands.

Buford
03-27-2006, 1:05 AM

Well I have the 1927A1 deluxe and I'm quite pleased with it. I had to tweak the 30 round mags a bit. My tommy won't lock the military mags unless the locking hole is elongated.

EBWhite
03-27-2006, 2:19 AM
what about getting a ww2 parts kit (easily found)...does anyone make an 80% receivers for these? Semi auto conversion hard to do?

NeoWeird
03-27-2006, 7:08 AM
what about getting a ww2 parts kit (easily found)...does anyone make an 80% receivers for these? Semi auto conversion hard to do?

I believe the receiver is more or less a rectangular box with rails for the bolt and stock/trigger housing (I am pretty sure the entire flooring just slides off to access the trigger group) with a slot cut for the bolt handle and the proper holes for the barrel. I remember reading that an 80% receiver can not allow any parts to fit into it without doing some work to it (which is why the rear trigger well on an AR needs to be widened so the upper can fit into, also why the buffer tube is not drilled to the proper width, etc.) That could just be the particular shops standards, but that seems to be the rule that I have seen. If that were the case an M1A1 80% receiver would have no holes and be a rectangular box with the outside dimensions correct, but all inner dimensions would be off, so you would need to mill to proper depth, width, and height; which if you are going to mill it out already why not do it yourself? I have seen prints for it, but not as much as say the Stein tube prints.

One of the MAJOR problems with the M1A1 is it opens from a open bolt, so right off the bat you would need to modify the action so it fires from a closed bolt. Also, because of this, most parts kits come with a cut receiver AND cut bolt, which is probably fairly rare to find. Also, a lot of the kits on the market are the 1928 model, which I don't like, and not the M1A1, which I do like. The easiest way to tell is they 1928 model has the bolt handle on the top of the gun like a Mac 10, and the M1A1 has it on the side of the receiver like most modern guns. There are other differences as well, but that's the easiest one to see.

Even if you did manage to buy the parts kit, make the reicever, find a correct bolt, modify the parts to be semi auto AND fire from a closed bolt you would still be forced to use 10 round mags, that weren't manufactured so you would have to mod one or buy aftermarket mags (if they exist), and you couldn't have a pistol grip. It just isn't worth it in my opinion. I would LOVE to own one, and I will some day, but owning in a way that the DOJ doesn't get their panties in a twist just sounds more like a novelty bastarized version of a great US gun than a real firearm.

Josh
03-27-2006, 10:08 AM
the 80% receivers do have the hole for the barrel already done. These 80% are for dummy guns but made from steel. Everything fits on them except for the bolt.

Also they did make 10rd mags for thompsons, they even have 10rd drum mags. Just check the Auto Ord website.

paradox
03-27-2006, 4:13 PM
Technically.... at some point, this particular Thompson DID have a pistol grip.

...It was then removed from his cold dead hands.

Ahh the Hunter S. Thompson magic 1911. One shot, one shell casing on the ground, a magazine downloaded by one, slide in battery, and .... (drumroll) .... an empty chamber.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson_obituary_spawns_conspiracy_theo ry
Deputy Ron Ryan said there was a spent shell casing, but there was no cartridge in the firing chamber, as there should have been under normal circumstances. Sheriff’s officer DiSalvo confirmed this opinion; "I think a bullet from the magazine should have cycled into the chamber". This "single bullet" problem has led to speculation that Thompson was coerced into self-inflicting a gunshot wound, being given a gun with a single shot, perhaps accompanied by threats against his family.

Everybody *****es about 1911 reliabilty, but I haven't heard of any FTFs like that.

grammaton76
03-27-2006, 4:21 PM
Ahh the Hunter S. Thompson magic 1911. One shot, one shell casing on the ground, a magazine downloaded by one, slide in battery, and .... (drumroll) .... an empty chamber.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson_obituary_spawns_conspiracy_theo ry

Everybody *****es about 1911 reliabilty, but I haven't heard of any FTFs like that.

They're forgetting the simplest explaination: namely, that he wrapped one hand behind the slide to support it as he fired. The slide hit his hand, and encountered enough resistance to short-stroke, but the next round didn't chamber. I don't have a 1911 so I don't know if it's possible to extract AND short-stroke, but it seems plausible to me.

gunshack
03-27-2006, 4:52 PM
One time my Colt 1991A1 failed to feed. I was limp-wristing it to check the reliability of a ProMag. The slide was in battery and - click, empty chamber. Having said that, 300+ rounds through Colt mags and not one hic-up.

But to get back on topic... A Thompson would be really cool! I NEED one for my U.S. service weapons collection.:D

jdberger
03-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Since my hopes of a Cali-Legal Thompson are being dashed--

yeah, you can limp-wrist a 1911 and have it short-stroke and not strip off the next round in the mag. The slide needs less rearward motion to eject than it does to reload.

Buford
03-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Here's my Auto Ordance. Not a good picture all I got though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/buford/100_1125.jpg

gazzavc
09-26-2007, 12:33 AM
I've been doing some homework on this.

1) Not banned by name, so we're OK there.

2) The X drum is a 10 rounder, so thats legal here.

3) If we buy it without the pistol grip, (or like my Historic Arms Bren Gun, with a short wooden nub) and with the horizontal foregrip, it should be perfectly ok to have 1 evil feature which is the detachable magazine.

Guys please check my logic and tell me if I missed anything.
I've already written to Kahr and asked them if they'll make them for us blokes in PRK.

Gary

Sal
09-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I've got one sitting right here....making a wood MMG for it and a bullet button.

believe me when i say they are akward to say the least without the grips.

E Pluribus Unum
09-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I've been doing some homework on this.

1) Not banned by name, so we're OK there.

2) The X drum is a 10 rounder, so thats legal here.

3) If we buy it without the pistol grip, (or like my Historic Arms Bren Gun, with a short wooden nub) and with the horizontal foregrip, it should be perfectly ok to have 1 evil feature which is the detachable magazine.

Guys please check my logic and tell me if I missed anything.
I've already written to Kahr and asked them if they'll make them for us blokes in PRK.

Gary

Detachable Mag is NOT an evil feature. Detachable mag is part of the definition. There is no "Its ok to have 1 evil feature"; it either meets the definition and cannot have ANY evil features, or it does not meet the definition and can have ALL the evil features.

For example:

If the rifle is all of the following:

Rifle, Center-Fire, has a detachable magazine

Then evil features are restricted and are as follows:

Pistol Grip/thumbhole stock
Flash Suppressor
Grenade/Flare Launcher
Forward pistol grip

If it never meets the definition to begin with then evil features do not matter. This is why .22LR are exempt and can have all the evil features you want; they do not meet the initial definition of center-fire. This is also why people pin magazines; if a rifle is center fire and one pins the magazine so it is not detachable, non of the evil feature restrictions apply.

gazzavc
09-26-2007, 12:00 PM
So am I correct or incorrect on my speculation?

Is it legal or is it a no-go item.

Gary

hoffmang
09-26-2007, 4:28 PM
It's legal if you configure it correctly. How many threads have you started on it?

-Gene

gazzavc
09-26-2007, 8:08 PM
Gene

I haven't started any threads, just searched out existing ones and asked questions on those that were already there. And from those two I have managed a multitude of different answers and opinions !!

Bottom line is, I am going to try and get one.

Gary

PIRATE14
09-26-2007, 8:11 PM
Gene

I haven't started any threads, just searched out existing ones and asked questions on those that were already there. And from those two I have managed a multitude of different answers and opinions !!

Bottom line is, I am going to try and get one.

Gary

Did you try the vendor section..........????:p

gazzavc
09-26-2007, 9:04 PM
Just posted a WTB advert.........................Now if someone wants to sell one for under $200 I'll have it made !!! Muahahaha