PDA

View Full Version : Staying Within The Law

crownfire
03-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Ok ive got two Sun Devil lowers on the way and one Stag. I want to build one in a .308 hunting config., one in .223 tactical config , and one in .9mm tactical.. I have some questions that must be answered so im "within the law".

1. IS building these in the specified calibers legal? (I think I can but just checkin)

2. At this time if i were to build these configurations am i limited to a certain amount of "evil features" if i have a fixed 10 round magazine? Or is the sky the limit as long as it has a fixed magazine?

3. Once the lowers are classified as AW'S will i have to reconfigure once i remove the maglock? Does the classification of AW make the lowers limited to two evil features?

4. Should i wait Until all is setteled to build these and take them out in public?

icormba
03-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Ok ive got two Sun Devil lowers on the way and one Stag. I want to build one in a .308 hunting config.,

Don't you need a .308 lower for .308?

m1371
03-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Ok ive got two Sun Devil lowers on the way and one Stag. I want to build one in a .308 hunting config., one in .223 tactical config , and on in .9mm tactical.. I have some questions that must be answered so im "within the law".

1. IS building these in the specified calibers legal? (I think I can but just checkin)

2. At this time if i were to build these configurations am i limited to a certain amount of "evil features" if i have a fixed 10 round magazine? Or is the sky the limit as long as it has a fixed magazine?

3. Once the lowers are classified as AW'S will i have to reconfigure once i remove the maglock? Does the classification of AW make the lowers limited to two evil features?

4. Should i wait Until all is setteled to build these and take them out in public?

I think you might have a hard time getting any of those lowers built up in a .308 configuration. :rolleyes:

Might want to SEARCH around a bit here on the forum about the .308 lower situation.

Not trying to be a smart@$$ or anything, just trying to point you in the right direction.

I'll let everyone else deal with your other questions, even though a SEARCH "might" turn up those answers also. :p

But hey, welcome aboard CalGuns!

bwiese
03-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Ok ive got two Sun Devil lowers on the way and one Stag. I want to build one in a .308 hunting config., one in .223 tactical config , and on in .9mm tactical.. I have some questions that must be answered so im "within the law".

None of these lowers can build a 308 rifle - not because of legal issues, but because the 308 is too long. You need an off-list AR10-type receiver for 308, and I believe the only currently CA legal (off-list) 308 lower is the Vulcan.

You can build up into any caliber. You won't be able to build a 308 out your current lowers, as above.

Sounds like you should read the FAQ just so you're squared away.

With the fixed 10rd mag, the sky's the limit on features:

The key 12276.1 definition of an assault weapon is a "semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, a thumbhole stock, a folding or telescoping stock, a grenade launcher or flare launcher, a flash suppressor, a forward pistol grip."

Make sure the fixed mag is 10rds or less so you don't trigger the alternate definition of an assault weapon (a "semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds").

Where do you get 'two evil features'? That's the (outdated, expired, sunset) Federal law; it has no relevance now or to state law.

There is no law banning changing/adding/deleting evil features or magazines to legal, registered assault weapons.

However the DOJ has issued on Feb 1 a flawed, poorly-written panicky memo saying otherwise. For now, it's just a memo until given makes/models are identified and listed as AWs and a registration period begins. Then we can seek injunctive relief from that memo, if they still decide to hold that position. Many of us think this memo was more an attempt to dissuade folks from continuing to get lowers and for quashing demand.

Many folks are shooting fixed-mag rifles now at the range. Other folks are running their rifles without pistol grips, folding/thumbhole/telescoping stocks, flash hiders, forward grips or any other evil features: that way they can use detachable magazines.

crownfire
03-24-2006, 11:22 AM
My bad! Ive been out of the AR seen since i failed to register my Colt and had to sell it years ago. I thought the .308 was too large. I think i had a brain fart!:D
I did do some earching but i guess i used the wrong keywords. Plus is it just me or is the forum a little strange to navigate? Anyways thanks! You answered my questions..

Jason

pilotmadrat
03-24-2006, 12:57 PM
If you want to hunt you could use the 6.5 Grendel round in a upper that fits a 5.56 AR lower. This round is very accurate and sufficient for most mid sized North American game.

PMR