PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to inform DOJ I and my registered AW moved?

vf111
03-24-2006, 9:14 AM
Recently moved and was wondering if I need to inform DOJ I and my registered AW have a new address? Anybody know the mechanism to do this? Can I just write them a letter and include a copy of the registration letter DOJ sent me in Y2K? TIA

bwiese
03-24-2006, 9:42 AM
You don't need to, but it might be useful.

You can send a letter w/new address to the AW Reg/Permits section - heck, you might be able to even call them with your AW reg#, not sure. In a few days you'll get your updated paperwork back.

M1A Rifleman
03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
You don't need to, but it might be useful.

You can send a letter w/new address to the AW Reg/Permits section - heck, you might be able to even call them with your AW reg#, not sure. In a few days you'll get your updated paperwork back.

Why would this be useful? Assuming you carry you DL on you and maybe your AW paper work with the rifle, what other possible information might an LEO need if you are stopped, questioned, etc.? My thought has always been to NOT draw DOJ attention on myself.

bwiese
03-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Why would this be useful? Assuming you carry you DL on you and maybe your AW paper work with the rifle, what other possible information might an LEO need if you are stopped, questioned, etc.? My thought has always been to NOT draw DOJ attention on myself.

I'm puzzled as to why you think a minor secretarial update of a two fields on an already existing database record is considered drawing attention.

Having papers have similar information may alleviate questions (let's say a stupid cop doesn't know if AW registrations expire or not; let's also say the radio/AFS system is down) and perhaps help stop a possible "we're seizing these until we can verify".

I've updated my address twice, and when I sold my Mini14 out of state, I filed a No Longer in Possession statement w/the AW reg unit.

Consistency is a good thing, and usually means other aspects in your life are shipshape.

M1A Rifleman
03-24-2006, 1:08 PM
I'm puzzled as to why you think a minor secretarial update of a two fields on an already existing database record is considered drawing attention.

Your point is understood. As of today, my papers are in some file or database at DOJ, they are not being reviewed on someones desk or computer screen when determining if they will grant a request to change something - I prefer to keep it this way.

As I follow the law, don't beat my spouse, and keep my papers with my weapon, I am not seeing why the issue would even be observed by an LEO unless they start checking papers at the range or BLM/National Forest.

bwiese
03-24-2006, 3:09 PM
Your point is understood. As of today, my papers are in some file or database at DOJ, they are not being reviewed on someones desk or computer screen when determining if they will grant a request to change something - I prefer to keep it this way.

That's your choice, but I assure you there are no conditions applied to change of address (unless you said Folsom State Prison, etc.) Probably 20sec of data entry, and it never gets printed out except for the letter they mail you.

vf111
03-25-2006, 12:19 PM
for the responses.

icormba
03-25-2006, 1:20 PM
Recently moved and was wondering if I need to inform DOJ I and my registered AW have a new address? Anybody know the mechanism to do this? Can I just write them a letter and include a copy of the registration letter DOJ sent me in Y2K? TIA

I think I moved 5 times since I registered my AW's! then again, it might be a good idea since many consider gun owners worse low life scum than registered sex offenders... who have to register and tell the state every time they move.

The DOJ should just create a database of all us AW owners and post it online... kinda like this one: http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/ :confused:

;) :)

CALI-gula
03-25-2006, 1:56 PM
I never got around to updating my address from 2 years ago after moving, for my SB-23 items. Last month, after having sent in my fascism demanded AB50 registration cards, the DOJ sent me a confirmation letter not only for my .50BMG items, but for the SB23 stuff too - and I never requested or completed a form; it was done automatically. Nobody raised a fuss, and I did not get "in trouble" nor was there any inclusion of admonishment to me from the DOJ.

That did prove to me that they are housing tangible paper records for AB50 with the same files as records for SB23.

It is one day likely (and this is ONLY supposition - NOT fact) the DOJ might get around to linking future DROS records to registered AW and rifle records, merely to keep all records up to date, especially since now all handgun DROSes require proof of residency and swipe of the DL magnetic strip. Drivers License or State ID number was required for the AB50 registration (can't remember if it was madatory for the SB23 registration).

Even if not, if ever there was a question of current address, they can simply check your registration card for the DL number and run it for current address or vehicle registrations. And if you have a warrant out for you? Bummer. It will surely come up in the research of your legal issues, and you can bet they will pursue to find your correct current address quite quickly, even if not up to date on your, AW registration, Driver's license, or State ID. They might even check the address used for your last DROSed handgun, bank accounts, or credit card accounts.

Custom tailored tin-foil top-hat anyone? My daily all-around is Armani, but I bring out the Ermenegildo Zegna for special occasions and visits to Sacramento. I wear the Brooks Brothers tin when I visit New York - (east-coasters are so conservative.)

odysseus
03-27-2006, 4:47 PM
Ermenegildo Zegna... nice fabrics. :D :rolleyes:

Ratters
03-27-2006, 5:09 PM
In it's usual genius the regulations do not address what happens when you move. That said, there is no specific requirement that you do notify the DOJ. I think updating your driver's license information would suffice as they are linked. That's all I did.

M1A Rifleman
03-28-2006, 7:38 AM
It is one day likely (and this is ONLY supposition - NOT fact) the DOJ might get around to linking future DROS records to registered AW and rifle records, merely to keep all records up to date, especially since now all handgun DROSes require proof of residency and swipe of the DL magnetic strip. Drivers License or State ID number was required for the AB50 registration (can't remember if it was madatory for the SB23 registration).

I bet your right. This was also no doubt a check to verify you still own/possess the AB 23 AW's, as last I new there was no requirement that you notfiy DOJ when you cease to own these.......

it also makes it easier to prove you recently posessed em when they come to confiscate em :eek: