PDA

View Full Version : Women and the range

77bawls
06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
How many of you go alone, or not with your so's?
I haven't seen any that's why I'm asking.

Vacaville
06-02-2010, 11:33 PM
I've started taking my wife to the range with me. She's adopted my Ruger 22/45. I think it's good she's learning how to shoot, and she seems to enjoy it.

Uriah02
06-02-2010, 11:35 PM
I hope when I get an SO she'll come along, heck that's why I own a .40 S&W...

socalblue
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
I know my girls (wife & 2x DD) went to the range when the ammo stock declines without my help. It's a rare time when at least one of them is not with me at the range.

Sajedene
06-03-2010, 8:11 AM
I've never had the opportunity to go alone because someone always wants to go with me. It's just more fun that way anyway.

VictorFranko
06-03-2010, 8:18 AM
Sorry for jumping on a Ladies Forum thread, but out where I train, Tacfire, Ventura, we get a surprising number of ladies, some with their hubbies, many solo.
It's great to have them there!

Lyte-
06-03-2010, 10:07 AM
when I go to indoor ranges 95% of the time its alone, the other 5% with the BF or other friends. I have a membership to one and so I like to try to go often. I prefer company but I don't want the membership to go to waste so I will go alone if I have too.

Outdoor range I always go with someone, most of the time its with the same friend about 35% of the time the BF will come with but I typically end up going on saturdays and he works in the afternoon (and doesn't like to wake up early)

Catheaven
06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
So far Ive always gone with my hubby and/or friends.

It's a good thing too b/c when I have problems with my pistol I had to clear it so many times my hands got very tired. So at one point I couldn't rack the slide back. So it was a good thing he was there to help me.

Steyrlp10
06-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I've gone to matches alone when he's got a bass tournament. In fact, he'll be competing in Oroville while I run the Calguns Booth in Vallejo.

All of you visit me to keep me informed on firearms :)

However, like a lot of the gals, I prefer company since it's more fun to laugh about the lame things I do than all by myself. You know how it is when people talk to themselves... lol

77bawls
06-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Okay the reason I asked is because I've been divorced for over a year now and I can't seem to meet anyone. My coworker said pick up a hobby that get's you out of the house bla bla bla... So I figured GUNS, used to be into them when I was younger perfect! Well it turns out there are more single women in the grocery store. :( I'm also into 4 wheeling but I can't get out and do that as often as I can go shooting. And then there's bars :shudder:

I'm thinking about getting into cookie lee. :/

SunkenShadow
06-05-2010, 1:07 AM
Well if you haven't noticed, guns are a symbol of power...it's rather intimidating and alluring at the same time. Quite sexy I might add but the main problem is the same problem everywhere. The lack of confidence/balls and the fear of rejection.

jdewolf
06-05-2010, 1:19 AM
Good luck finding a single woman at the range.

Shooting is definitely a male dominated hobby/sport. I wouldn't get back into shooting with the intention to meet a woman. Get back into shooting because you love it. If you happen to meet someone along that course, then woot. Don't go into it with that expectation... you'll just end up with disappointment.

Sajedene
06-05-2010, 1:31 AM
Good luck finding a single woman at the range.

Shooting is definitely a male dominated hobby/sport. I wouldn't get back into shooting with the intention to meet a woman. Get back into shooting because you love it. If you happen to meet someone along that course, then woot. Don't go into it with that expectation... you'll just end up with disappointment.

That applies to anything and everything as well.

jdewolf
06-05-2010, 1:45 AM
That applies to anything and everything as well.

As far as expectations? If so... then yep they are a [beep]. Now I want to watch old episodes of Mad TV and their lowered expectations skits.

Sajedene
06-05-2010, 1:54 AM
As far as expectations? If so... then yep they are a [beep]. Now I want to watch old episodes of Mad TV and their lowered expectations skits.

If you go into anything with the sole purpose of finding someone to "mate" with, it reeks of desperation and its a turnoff. That's what I meant. You do something because you want to do it and its fun. That's when one is the most attractive.

johnthomas
06-05-2010, 1:55 AM
Okay the reason I asked is because I've been divorced for over a year now and I can't seem to meet anyone. My coworker said pick up a hobby that get's you out of the house bla bla bla... So I figured GUNS, used to be into them when I was younger perfect! Well it turns out there are more single women in the grocery store. :( I'm also into 4 wheeling but I can't get out and do that as often as I can go shooting. And then there's bars :shudder:

If you wear a helmet like in your avatar, that could be the problem.

77bawls
06-05-2010, 2:19 AM
If you wear a helmet like in your avatar, that could be the problem.

Damn, I knew I was doing something wrong!!

I got back into guns because I love to shoot. I just wish I would have brought all my guns here from Minnesota. I would have transferred them but I didn't know the laws here and I didn't bother to learn them at the time. Now I just need to bug my sister to find out what she did with them.

Steyrlp10
06-05-2010, 5:50 AM

That's a prime reason you need to hangout on CGN :)

Better yet, go volunteer at the Calguns Booth in your area. I've had a few unattached, young women come up to the table to see what was going on. It was nice to hear that they were sincerely interested in learning about gun ownership and shooting.

Lyte-
06-05-2010, 6:53 AM

Awww I do both of those, but I am not single sorry

johnthomas
06-05-2010, 2:25 PM
Go to craigslist and advertise for a sugarmama that is in to shooting guns. lol

77bawls
06-05-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't think I'm that big of a boytoy to get a sugarmama. :p
It's a great idea tho. I do know how to take care of a pool. :43:

OliveCookieMonsta
06-07-2010, 3:03 PM
I like shooting so i probably go once a week and yes i'm the odd woman out.... lol... usually unless its competition/ladies night, there are no other women except when they are with male counterparts.

Sometimes i'll take a coworker with which is fun. Two is always better than one, but im a lil stingy with my range time so i prefer them to rent their own lane lol....

juicemansam
06-07-2010, 4:49 PM
I like shooting so i probably go once a week and yes i'm the odd woman out.... lol... usually unless its competition/ladies night, there are no other women except when they are with male counterparts.

Sometimes i'll take a coworker with which is fun. Two is always better than one, but im a lil stingy with my range time so i prefer them to rent their own lane lol....

lucky you that you have people to go with. My friends would rather go the gym than go shoot with me, even if I can take them for free or half-off, and with my ammo and guns. sheesh.

berto
06-07-2010, 6:27 PM
Last time out there were three women shooting together for one of their birthdays.

OliveCookieMonsta
06-07-2010, 6:46 PM
lucky you that you have people to go with. My friends would rather go the gym than go shoot with me, even if I can take them for free or half-off, and with my ammo and guns. sheesh.

LOL, Girls like guns they just need someone to show them... Do you ever shoot IDPA? There is a match this Friday at the Fresno Range.... I think I might go.

jdewolf
06-08-2010, 6:54 PM

Hey we can be friends :) Provided you let me shoot your guns and ammo :D

juicemansam
06-09-2010, 2:59 AM
LOL, Girls like guns they just need someone to show them... Do you ever shoot IDPA? There is a match this Friday at the Fresno Range.... I think I might go.

I'll have to keep that in mind. I haven't tried IDPA. I've only heard people mention it and seen a few videos about it. I'll have to go to today to the range and inquire about, then show up to watch on Friday (if I remember; I tend to be o'l forgetful jones).

Hey we can be friends :) Provided you let me shoot your guns and ammo :D

Sure, why not, so long as I can shoot your guns and ammo. :)

jdewolf
06-09-2010, 4:29 AM
Yah not a problem...

Hope you don't mind .22lr :D

9mmepiphany
06-09-2010, 9:19 AM

that has been a prime meeting place since i was in college...in every city i've ever lived in...just ask for help/advice on selection/preparation

Steyrlp10
06-09-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure about the calendar, but Havoc in our Solano County Group is looking for a range buddy. June 27 is my tentative date to go to Center Mass in Vacaville. If any of you girls are interested in meeting other Calgunners that day, please drop me a line.

If this date doesn't pan out, we can always go back to the drawing board.

Thanks, Liz

9mmepiphany
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure about the calendar, but Havoc in our Solano County Group is looking for a range buddy. June 26 is my tentative date to go to Center Mass in Vacaville. If any of you girls are interested in meeting other Calgunners that day, please drop me a line.

If this date doesn't pan out, we can always go back to the drawing board.

Thanks, Liz
organized event or a casual range day?

don't laugh, i'm in touch with my feminine side...an acupuncturess told me my yang and yang were out of balance

Steyrlp10
06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
organized event or a casual range day?

don't laugh, i'm in touch with my feminine side...an acupuncturess told me my yang and yang were out of balance

How about "casually disorganized?" :) If you're free, c'mon down -- I hope to confirm the date after I shoot the Chow Match at the SFPD range. I'm still scattered after the Vallejo Gun Show (literature boxes all over my living room!)

Btw, if Havoc is free that Sunday, you'll like him. He fits in with our convoluted perception of things :)

jdewolf
06-09-2010, 2:35 PM
If any of you girls are interested in meeting other Calgunners that day, please drop me a line.

Hehe what are you the CG pimp now? ;)

Steyrlp10
06-09-2010, 2:55 PM
Hehe what are you the CG pimp now? ;)

If I were, I'd have to:

1. Be a man
2. Be asking for money

I'm not a man and I'm not asking for money. If I were, I would have made a killing at the Vallejo Gun Show - lol

We had a fun time at SacValley earlier this year with a few female shooters. I'm trying to drum up some interest here for CGN. If I only get to see MALE Calgunners in a couple of weeks, so be it.

Besides, the owner of the range happens to be a Calgunner. What better way to spread the wealth?

winnre
06-09-2010, 2:59 PM
She makes it to the range every night.

http://www.brownstoner.com/forum/profile_post_images/old_slattery_ga_2.jpg

jdewolf
06-09-2010, 3:14 PM
If I were, I'd have to:

1. Be a man
2. Be asking for money

I'm not a man and I'm not asking for money. If I were, I would have made a killing at the Vallejo Gun Show - lol

We had a fun time at SacValley earlier this year with a few female shooters. I'm trying to drum up some interest here for CGN. If I only get to see MALE Calgunners in a couple of weeks, so be it.

Besides, the owner of the range happens to be a Calgunner. What better way to spread the wealth?

Sorry the appropriate term would be "Madam" :D

::reminds self to goto the Vallejo Gun Show::

9mmepiphany
06-09-2010, 3:34 PM
posted by jdewolf
Hehe what are you the CG pimp now?
posted by Steyrlp10
If I were, I'd have to:

1. Be a man
2. Be asking for money
posted by jdewolf
Sorry the appropriate term would be "Madam"

you guys are really funny...pimp isn't gender specific. i think it was just a few years ago when a woman won New Pimp of the Year

a pimp is a business agent
a madam runs an establishment

jdewolf
06-09-2010, 3:54 PM
Haha sorry I don't keep up with "new pimp of the year" .

Not my avenue of expertise :D

I'm just a client, I don't keep up with the managerial aspects of prostitution, pimping, pandering, etc.

Steyrlp10
06-09-2010, 4:01 PM

It's missing the flaming fireball - lol

Steyrlp10
06-09-2010, 4:03 PM
you guys are really funny...pimp isn't gender specific. i think it was just a few years ago when a woman won New Pimp of the Year

a pimp is a business agent
a madam runs an establishment

So does that make it metrosexual now? Lmao... It still leaves me out since I fail to operate an abacus...

Steyrlp10
06-09-2010, 4:05 PM
Haha sorry I don't keep up with "new pimp of the year" .

Not my avenue of expertise :D

I'm just a client, I don't keep up with the managerial aspects of prostitution, pimping, pandering, etc.

Well, is it safe to say that you'll be making all future payments in rice? :43:

I might have to add "chopstick wars" to the fork fighting techniques that were discussed at the show - lol (Oh, hai ya!)

9mmepiphany
06-09-2010, 4:38 PM
So does that make it metrosexual now? Lmao... It still leaves me out since I fail to operate an abacus...

LOL...i just taught my 8 year old daughter to use our abacus, next year we'll learn the slide-rule

It's missing the flaming fireball - lol

i really want to see you manage a Wok or Fire Pot

jdewolf
06-09-2010, 4:39 PM
Well, is it safe to say that you'll be making all future payments in rice? :43:

I might have to add "chopstick wars" to the fork fighting techniques that were discussed at the show - lol (Oh, hai ya!)

Sure I'll stop by Ranch 99 and get a 50lbs bag of Calrose. What does that get me :43:

9mmepiphany
06-09-2010, 4:45 PM
oops - double clutched

dadoody
06-10-2010, 2:59 AM
http://www.imfdb.org/images/8/89/Vlcsnap-181167.jpg

Steyrlp10
06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
LOL...i just taught my 8 year old daughter to use our abacus, next year we'll learn the slide-rule

i really want to see you manage a Wok or Fire Pot

Did I tell you that the kitchen has yellow tape across all the entrances? (Crime Scene - Do Not Enter) Lmao... I set some oven mitts on fire at the last chilli cookoff (probably because firemen were judging the cops!)

Sorry Purple K (hee-hee)

The next time we're at the range, let me know how your Algebra II is :)

Steyrlp10
06-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Sure I'll stop by Ranch 99 and get a 50lbs bag of Calrose. What does that get me :43:

Omg now we're related - lol! It took my other half a while to get used to our "ethnic customs" -- my older sister traditionally gives me a 50 lbs bag of rice each Christmas along with red envelopes, etc., etc.

He still can't stand tofu, but he digs the bit about red envelopes!

jdewolf
06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Omg now we're related - lol! It took my other half a while to get used to our "ethnic customs" -- my older sister traditionally gives me a 50 lbs bag of rice each Christmas along with red envelopes, etc., etc.

He still can't stand tofu, but he digs the bit about red envelopes!

I'm a fan of those red envelopes as well, although I don't get them, I sure know what they are! :43:

There's nothing wrong with rice, I :wub: rice. Maybe it's the asian in me coming out.

I actually like Tofu. It has to be prepared correctly however, but I mean it's plain it's pretty much tasteless. I find people don't like the texture and find it "weird".

Then again I'm not the typical Asian... I dislike fish.

Lancear15
06-10-2010, 12:35 PM

^ Hilarious.

I don't recall ever seeing a woman at any shooting range by herself...

jdewolf
06-10-2010, 12:40 PM
^ Hilarious.

I don't recall ever seeing a woman at any shooting range by herself...

I've seen a grand total of ONE.

Steyrlp10
06-10-2010, 1:49 PM
We're an endangered species!

jdewolf
06-11-2010, 12:09 AM
We're an endangered species!

We must repopulate the species!

It's rare to see a group of all girls/women at the range. Well ok wait. I've seen one lone woman. And a group of 2 girls together. One talked to me. The group well I let use my speed loader. I hate being shy.

9mmepiphany
06-11-2010, 10:24 AM
i will add that when taught on a crew that ran shooting classes across the nation, that we had several women who would attend without a S/O and without knowing anyone else in the group

the last class i worked in SLO had 3 single women in attendence

NorCalMama
06-11-2010, 1:44 PM
How many of you go alone, or not with your so's?
I haven't seen any that's why I'm asking.

I've gone alone and with my husband. Although, not as often as I'd like! :(

jdewolf
06-11-2010, 2:58 PM
i will add that when taught on a crew that ran shooting classes across the nation, that we had several women who would attend without a S/O and without knowing anyone else in the group

the last class i worked in SLO had 3 single women in attendence

For some reason S/O = Safety Officer in my mind. It took me a moment to figure it out :)

9mmepiphany
06-11-2010, 3:12 PM
For some reason S/O = Safety Officer in my mind. It took me a moment to figure it out :)

it was either that or SOSO...but i've found that it sometimes offends women

Steyrlp10
06-11-2010, 3:19 PM
it was either that or SOSO...but i've found that it sometimes offends women

Yeah, you So-and-So :)

77bawls
07-02-2010, 2:12 AM
http://www.imfdb.org/images/8/89/Vlcsnap-181167.jpg

http://thedailyshow.mtvnimages-q.mtvi.com/images/shows/tds/videos/season_11/episode_068/ds_11068_06_zen_v6.jpg

Stephd2271
07-10-2010, 12:31 AM
I go shooting out on the BLM land or way out in the boonies. :chris:

OHOD
07-11-2010, 6:03 PM
I go by my lonesome.
When the situation arises, I will be by my lonesome.
Might as well get used to it.

Recent lonesome.... Carson Iceberg Wilderness. Very lonesome.

masameet
07-11-2010, 7:57 PM
I like going to the range by myself, mostly because I prefer to concentrate on shooting instead of being sociable. When I go with others, I find I blow through ammo like crazy. Which is totally counter to the philosophy my firearms instructor instilled in me. Still I've taken a few friends to the range with me, shown them the fundamentals, and tried to impart his philosophy.

And as a solo female shooter, I like it when guys, esp. the ones who can shoot, chat with me or pick up my brass. Some of them have let me shoot their guns. A couple have given me free ammo. I'm still a new shooter, tend to take my time in setting up my shots, and really just go to the range to improve my shooting.

There have been maybe two occasions when some obnoxious jerks said unpleasant things to me. Just ignored them and let my shot placement shut them up.

OliveCookieMonsta
07-11-2010, 8:10 PM
I got a "hey Lil lady what are you shooting" one time that just bugged me... Not the question but the way he said it... Sux but your right as soon as they see the shot placements from my pink gun most zip it.

8bitnintendo
07-11-2010, 8:51 PM
I got a "hey Lil lady what are you shooting" one time that just bugged me... Not the question but the way he said it...
My favorite solution to that is to just go full bimbo. "Gosh, I don't know! Like, I just went and bought the prettiest one... It matches my shoes, tee hee!" Either they figure out you're making fun of them and go away, or you can entertain yourself by seeing how outrageously Valley Girl you can get before they're repulsed and flee the scene. :D

OliveCookieMonsta
07-11-2010, 8:57 PM
LOL!!! Yes!!! Gotta do that!

mif_slim
07-12-2010, 8:37 AM

haha, sorry to hear abour your devorce...but so far from my almost every day experiance at the range...I havent seen anyone who would be acceptable as a "husband" lol. Only reason is its either their young and have girlfriends, their mid age with a SO, their old.. retired and grumpy or their RN(can I say this?! lol).

And I agree that going to a bar for a husband isnt the best thing. Some of the reason people go there is to get away from their problems, which means they already have enough issues in their life...and adding you to their life will only end with another heart break...not always, but most of my friends/members who are bar/club/party go'ers are usually beaten, abused, just hanging on to see if the guy will change, stressed etc. etc...not always, but thats what I've seen in my 8 years of work in helping people.