PDA

View Full Version : Is This Lower Legal?

kenc9
03-23-2006, 7:23 AM
A guy has a lower that he will sell that says only this on it but I have no idea of the maker other than the receiver says,

The receiver is marked "Rifle 5.56mm" and below that it is marked "M15", then the serial number below that.

Does anyone know?

-ken

kantstudien
03-23-2006, 7:28 AM
Sounds like an Armalite, which would be illegal.

bwiese
03-23-2006, 9:09 AM
Don't move on this until you get a photograph of the side(s).

Is this in CA? Could be some doofus trying to get rid of a listed lower (and build himself a felony).

thmpr
03-23-2006, 10:05 AM

Is this in CA? Could be some doofus trying to get rid of a listed lower (and build himself a felony).

I agree with Bill! There are to many unknown variables here. It must meet the make and model criteria. I would not touch this with a 1" pole. It is not worth it.

PIRATE14
03-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Probably an EAGLE ARMS M-15 RCVR

A Division of Armalite............

xenophobe
03-23-2006, 10:21 AM
And Eagle Arms M15 would be banned as well. Avoid it like the plague!

Smokeybehr
03-23-2006, 11:14 AM

Yup, we need a picture of both sides so that the crew here can make an informed judgement and keep both you and the other guy out of trouble.

kenc9
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks everybody, I think lowers being bought by a 01 dealer and sold by that dealer and then DROS'ed by another 01 dealer would appear a common guy was reasonable in thinking it was legal and should exclude someone from being reckless of the law if you were put to a legal test.

I saw it on another gun board and just bouncing the angles around

Thanks,
Ken

ohsmily
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks everybody, I think lowers being bought by a 01 dealer and sold by that dealer and then DROS'ed by another 01 dealer would appear a common guy was reasonable in thinking it was legal and should exclude someone from being reckless of the law if you were put to a legal test.

I saw it on another gun board and just bouncing the angles around

Thanks,
Ken

HUH...???

why don't you give us the link to the "other gun board" so we can see what you are referring to.

kenc9
03-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Because there is no pics, he finally disclosed after a few emails it is an
"Eagle Arms lower".

My point above is that if an 01 FFL dealer bought new lowers for sale here in Ca. and then sells them to someone. Sends them to your FFL to get them DROS'ed to you there is at least two 01 dealers breaking the law if these get some how called illegal.

Thanks, Ken

ohsmily
03-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Because there is no pics, he finally disclosed after a few emails it is an
"Eagle Arms lower".

My point above is that if an 01 FFL dealer bought new lowers for sale here in Ca. and then sells them to someone. Sends them to your FFL to get them DROS'ed to you there is at least two 01 dealers breaking the law if these get some how called illegal.

Thanks, Ken

Well, that didn't hold true here did it, since it was an Eagle Arms lower.

kenc9
03-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, that didn't hold true here did it, since it was an Eagle Arms lower.

If you hadn't noticed yet the web is world wide and not limited to Ca :)

The guy was in some other part of the country and was not a dealer. This was on a whole gun that was cheap enough to buy for the parts. But it is to much hassle and the lower is banned here.

-ken

ohsmily
03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
If you hadn't noticed yet the web is world wide and not limited to Ca :)

The guy was in some other part of the country and was not a dealer. This was on a whole gun that was cheap enough to buy for the parts. But it is to much hassle and the lower is banned here.

-ken

no sh1t, so why did you use the argument that going through 2 different 01 dealers would suggest that it is legal UNLESS it was in CA...by using that argument, a sensible person would see that you are implying it had already gone through 01 FFL's in CA...why even bring that up if it hadn't happened yet or wasn't in CA.

Yeah, thats right, IF, so if it didn't happen, why bring it up... talk about circular logic...

kenc9
03-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Simmer down big guy...If this bugs you too much just disregard this post..Go have a beer!!! Friday is just around the corner.

I was just checking out that out of state lower to be used for parts and checking if that lower was legal.

My other point was if we buy in state from a dealer and not to mess with a lower from out of state from some guy, that buying one here from a 01 dealer was a safer bet if challanged legally.

Please pardon me a 1000 pardons if your feathers got ruffled. :)

-ken

ohsmily
03-23-2006, 12:27 PM
:D (the message isn't too short anymore)

tenpercentfirearms
03-23-2006, 3:48 PM
My other point was if we buy in state from a dealer and not to mess with a lower from out of state from some guy, that buying one here from a 01 dealer was a safer bet if challanged legally.
I don't think a prosecutor would have any problem trying all three people instead of just one or two. It is either legal or it isn't and I don't think they care that you didn't bother to find out if it was listed or not.

That would be like saying, "They told me it was a CA legal machine gun" or a "CA legal sound suppressor." I don't think the prosecutor is going to care you were told it was legal, only that it wasn't and you bought it. You get a ticket straight to federal pound me in the ***** prison! (quick name that movie! and I know it would be state prison)

kenc9
03-23-2006, 5:17 PM
Very true, now add that by 15,000 or 20,000 or 45000 and now you have an untriable amount of people that are fellons. Are we all fellons? Can they put us all in court? We have all bought thru dealers and everyone is a fellon or no one.

I guess we will all take a number and wait for our number and jail cell...Right?

HAHA

-ken

ohsmily
03-23-2006, 5:53 PM
Very true, now add that by 15,000 or 20,000 or 45000 and now you have an untriable amount of people that are fellons. Are we all fellons? Can they put us all in court? We have all bought thru dealers and everyone is a fellon or no one.

I guess we will all take a number and wait for our number and jail cell...Right?

HAHA

-ken

TenPercent isn't referring to off-list lowers, he is referring to the Eagle arms one. The off-list lowers are just that, off list, and legal...so we won't be fellons, or perhaps you mean FELONS.