PDA

View Full Version : Change of Venue

JHermsen
06-02-2010, 4:00 PM
The Long Range Matches scheduled for Range 117, on June 19 and 20 must be canceled as the Range will not be available.

Instead, SMGC will open Range 103 for practice on Saturday and Sunday. The BoD would be most appreciative of any persons, who can plan to stay on and help out with a cleaning and reorganization of the Target Conex on Saturday after practice. Many hands make light work.

We would also like to invite everyone to bring along an extra 80 rounds for a NTIT "rattle battle" practice.
(Quick description) It is a 60 second period of rapid fire at all the yard lines from 600-200 yds. It is meant to simulate an infantry assault on an objective.

Thank you for your support,

SMGC BoD.

JHermsen
06-03-2010, 2:46 PM
I'd like everyone to bring a wire brush and a putty knife, as well as gloves, masks (if wanted) and protective eye wear. Once we have the bins organized, if there is any time or compunction left we need to scrape the box and prep it for patching and painting.

Thank you,
John

JHermsen
06-07-2010, 8:10 AM
Members

MGySgt Harry Harrison has proposed this course of practice for Sunday 20 June 2010. It has been approved by the Board and will be the course of fire for that day. MGySgt Harrison as
most of you may know was the OIC and trainer for the Marine Corps Reserve Rifle Team and is an excellent teacher. This is a class and practice that all members can benefit from and we hope to see all of you there.

Here is what I suggest. Start at the 600 yard line and allow everyone to attempt to get a solid "No wind 600 yard zero". From there move everyone down to the 300 yard line and we can work on ensuring the long range clinic goes as I had planned. We start out shooting slow fire on the regular 300 yard centers but with one change. The scoring rings decrease in values; meaning an X is now a ten, and a 10 ring shot is now a 9, etc.

This will allow shooters to attempt to tighten their holds and score themselves somewhat harsher than normal. It can follow up with another drill of pair firing on the same target to help speed up their shooting and finally shoot with the last exercise of 3 to the mound. This is where three shooters will be assigned to shoot onto one target. Each shooter must wait their turns and attempt to keep track of the wind conditions before shooting their shots. There is a 45 second time limit from the time the target gets up into the air until it gets pulled down or until the next shooter fires his shot.

I am at Nancy and Mid Tompkins house this weekend and this is a drill which they use to help themselves train.