PDA

View Full Version : AT&T iPhone Tethering: An Extra $20/Month—If You Abandon Unlimited Data

JDay
06-02-2010, 2:50 PM
However it's an extra $20/month and you have to switch to a 2GB/month data plan. Comes out to $45/month for data (capped at 2GB) with tethering plus the cost of your voice plan. Yet another reason why I'll never own an iPhone.

http://gizmodo.com/5553135/att-iphone-tethering-an-extra-20month

* DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data – for example, enough to send/receive 1,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 150 emails with attachments, plus view 400 Web pages, plus post 50 photos on social media sites, plus watch 20 minutes of streaming video – for just $15 per month.** This plan, which can save customers up to 50 percent off their wireless data charges, is designed for people who primarily like to surf the web, send email and use social networking apps. If customers exceed 200 MB in a monthly billing cycle, they will receive an additional 200 MB of data usage for $15 for use in the cycle. Currently, 65 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 200 MB of data per month on average.

* DataPro. Provides 2 gigabytes (GB) of data – for example, enough to send/receive 10,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 1,500 emails with attachments, plus view 4,000 Web pages, plus post 500 photos to social media sites, plus watch 200 minutes of streaming video – for $25 per month.** Should a customer exceed 2 GB during a billing cycle, they will receive an additional 1 GB of data for $10 for use in the cycle. Currently, 98 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 2 GB of data a month on average.

* Tethering. Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering lets customers use their tethering-enabled smartphones as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks or other computing devices. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.

L4D
06-03-2010, 12:18 PM
DataPro is $10 less than what im paying now. And I know I dont use that much 3G bandwidth. yay for me. sux for the other 2% and iPad owners.

bigmike82
06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah, ATT just flipped a big FU to all their techy customers.

Yet another reason I'm sticking with Verizon.

tacticalcity
06-03-2010, 1:15 PM
I am pretty sure if you already have a plan with unlimited data it is granfathered in. Your plan stays the same until YOU change it. It's their new customers that get screwed.

1lostinspace
06-03-2010, 1:21 PM
ATT has the worse service I have ever had 2 more months and I am out of the contract.

jksupplyco
06-03-2010, 1:45 PM
Jailbreak, and get MyWi from the Rock.

JDay
06-03-2010, 2:00 PM
I am pretty sure if you already have a plan with unlimited data it is granfathered in. Your plan stays the same until YOU change it. It's their new customers that get screwed.

Read the AT&T user agreement, they can change your plan at anytime.

tuolumnejim
06-03-2010, 2:51 PM

Data plan yes, tethering no.

Richie Caketown
06-03-2010, 3:13 PM
Jailbreak, and get MyWi from the Rock.

this ^

totally free wireless tethering

gotime
06-03-2010, 3:57 PM
^ actually posting this using this method.

whobob
06-03-2010, 4:25 PM
PDAnet for android/iphone/windows. ;)

Marsoc1
06-03-2010, 8:45 PM
Froyo on Nexus ;)

wilit
06-03-2010, 9:26 PM
PDAnet for android/iphone/windows. ;)

I use this on my HTC Touch Pro with VzW. Works perfect.

Ricky-Ray
06-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Blackberry service on T-Mobile has free tethering. :)

JDay
06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Blackberry service on T-Mobile has free tethering. :)

Yep, they also have a prepaid $50/month unlimited talk/text/web package, perfect if you have an unlocked/off contract GSM phone.

eta34
06-06-2010, 9:07 AM
Leo Laporte said yesterday on his radio show that he believes this plan change is a precursor to a Verizon IPhone. Steve Jobs is supposed to make an "announcement" tomorrow. The Verizon iPhone is speculation, however.

Ishoot
06-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Leo Laporte said yesterday on his radio show that he believes this plan change is a precursor to a Verizon IPhone. Steve Jobs is supposed to make an "announcement" tomorrow. The Verizon iPhone is speculation, however.

'Bout time if it's true. I have an Iphone but hate At&T's coverage where I'm at. Competition is great for us consumers. :)

jmlivingston
06-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Don't think it's going to happen, my understanding is that the exclusivity contract is still in place between AT&T and Apple for another year or so.

Blackberry service on T-Mobile has free tethering.
Yep, they also have a prepaid $50/month unlimited talk/text/web package, perfect if you have an unlocked/off contract GSM phone.

I'll have to look into that. I'm with t-Mobile and have been pretty happy with it, but I'm just out of contract now and this might save me some money. I wonder if that prepaid account would work with email on a Blackberry Curve?

JDay
06-06-2010, 11:23 AM

Not going to happen, and if Verizon was getting an iPhone AT&T wouldn't drop the unlimited data plan since it just gives people incentive to switch. Verizon also has no intention of getting the iPhone since Apple demands nearly all of the profit, AT&T makes almost nothing off of them.

http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/Bite_405_2_.jpg

JDay
06-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Don't think it's going to happen, my understanding is that the exclusivity contract is still in place between AT&T and Apple for another year or so.

It is.

I'll have to look into that. I'm with t-Mobile and have been pretty happy with it, but I'm just out of contract now and this might save me some money. I wonder if that prepaid account would work with email on a Blackberry Curve?

It should work with it, although I'd ditch that phone and get something with Android 2.1, root it, and use it as a mobile hotspot.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx?WT.mc_n=PrePdPlnsOvrMain&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

You can also get a slightly used HTC Droid Eris for $150-$200 and take it into a MetroPCS store and have it flashed over to their network. Android phones blow the iPhone out of the water, there's a reason they're outselling the iPhone now.

NiteQwill
06-06-2010, 1:04 PM
Jailbreak + Hacked carrier file = tethering

Another reason not to upgrade anything above 3.1.2

whobob
06-06-2010, 2:34 PM
We'll find out tomorrow.

Rob454
06-06-2010, 4:17 PM
I switched to a unlimited data plan. im on a month to month. Anyone can walk in and sign a month to month contract. the catch is you gotta buy your own phone.

2DoorImpala
06-07-2010, 12:47 AM
X5 using MyWi plus a IP scrambler on unlimted data since I've been an iPhone user for about 2-3 years :)

2DoorImpala
06-07-2010, 12:57 AM
How many gb to you guys use a month? My last check last month I was at the 5gb side o_O

Rob454
06-07-2010, 4:55 AM
For me it varies. Ive used as much as 4 as little as 1. If ATT was to "switch" and make me get a different plan for more money I wold go get some new phones and get a different carrier. I have a older I phone withe the Edge network and unlimited data. I dont think my phone is upgradeable to the new network.