PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat does not want Cali business?

Justang
03-22-2006, 7:24 PM
I contacted a guy on gunbroker about buying a Bobcat BW5. It was in a "free" state so I asked if he was willing to ship it to Cali... here's my message to him:

Hello, I am interested in buying your Bobcat Weapons BW5. But I have some
questions. First, I live in California... don't run it's not always a bad
thing, ha ha... Many people run after I say I'm from Cali because of our
strict gun laws. But if you understand them, they aren't so bad (well...
I take that back, they are bad... but you learn to live with them).
The DOJ in California has stated it is legal to purchase and import the
Bobcat Weapons BW5, BUT they have to be "SB23" compliant. SB23 is the
"features" law in California. Basically says is if it has a detachable
magazine it cannot have a pistol grip. This poses no problem for selling
this gun to me in Cali, IF you take off the lower. My FFL also confirms
that it is legal to send this gun to him, IF you take the lower off. By
sending the gun (minus the lower) to my FFL, and the lower directly to me
it is well within the California laws.

I will purchase this gun from you if you are willing to send it to me as
mentioned above. I would, obviously, pay for the extra shipping. So,
with all that said, my first question is, will you ship to California?

My second question is, can you sent me a 10rd mag instead of the 30rd mag?
So-called "hi-cap" mags are still banned in Kalifornia.

You can use the ATF EZcheck to verify my FFL, and you can contact my FFL
if you would like. Mention the gun is for Justin Agee.
go to this site: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ and enter
these numbers: x-xx-xxx-xx-xx-xxxxx

Thank you for your time,

Justin Agee

This was the response I got from him today:
sorry, i spoke with Bobcat and they said they would not want their guns shipped to CA.

So WTF? They don't want us to have their guns?

6172crew
03-22-2006, 7:38 PM
Everone who makes a lower said the same thing.

Atlantic arms wont ship.:(

Justang
03-22-2006, 7:39 PM
pansys!!!!

uglygun
03-22-2006, 7:47 PM
Better off, Bobcat is likely just another version of Special Weapons and Todd Bailey is a major PITA. Get a good gun, that's great, but the chances of a lemon are high.

Justang
03-22-2006, 7:48 PM
So, lets say I have a friend in a free state. And he buys the gun. Could he bring the gun into Cali (in it's legal form of course) and do a PPT at my FFL?

Justang
03-22-2006, 7:49 PM
What about Vector? Or Vulcan?

6172crew
03-22-2006, 8:19 PM
Bobcat is in fact not SW but they use all SW parts. The guy who makes the Bobcat has just about had it w/ SW as most of have.:rolleyes:

The Vector and Vulcans can be had and as far as having a PPT dont in state "yes that is the only way you will get a Bobcat here".

Vector is spendy but will play ball. Vulcan has already proved they are into the CA market.

QuickOnTheDraw
03-22-2006, 9:36 PM
Know thats good knowledge!

AW-FANATIC
03-22-2006, 9:50 PM
When my FFL guy was trying to get the Stag lowers Stag told him that they would not ship to Cali direct. He had to get them from a distributor willing to send them here. Seem the DOJ told Stag that it would be wise for them not to ship their lowers to Cali. What a bunch of Bullies.

TheMan
03-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Bobcat is in fact not SW but they use all SW parts. The guy who makes the Bobcat has just about had it w/ SW as most of have.:rolleyes:

The Vector and Vulcans can be had and as far as having a PPT dont in state "yes that is the only way you will get a Bobcat here".

Vector is spendy but will play ball. Vulcan has already proved they are into the CA market.

From what I have heard/read, Vector is a superior alternative to Bobcat anyhow, so it's no loss that bobcat won't ship in. And I've already seen a post from someone on here talking about bringing in some HK clones, Vector was on the list of guns that they were going to bring in.

EBWhite
03-23-2006, 12:21 AM
The SW is also BW. They are the same family. Both companies are registered to the same address in AZ....Similar to Davis handgun companies, and hesse/vulcan etc....

So vector is banned???
Bobcat might now want the guns transfered but a private party out of state will sell you them.

EBWhite
03-23-2006, 12:22 AM
But once you get one of these, how are you going to get rid of the pistol grip? Saw it off???

TheMan
03-23-2006, 1:11 AM
So vector is banned???

Vector is NOT banned, I edited my post to clarify what list I was talking about.

Justang
03-23-2006, 1:13 AM
But once you get one of these, how are you going to get rid of the pistol grip? Saw it off???

You could saw it off and have a second one for free states.
I think I heard it was possible to make it a fixed mag. Which is probably the route I would go.

EBWhite
03-23-2006, 2:41 AM
Only one issue with vector is they do not make it in 9mm...

xLusi0n
03-23-2006, 4:52 AM
My FFL also confirms that it is legal to send this gun to him, IF you take the lower off. By sending the gun (minus the lower) to my FFL, and the lower directly to me it is well within the California laws.

I think you got that mixed up in your e-mail. Doesn't the lower go to the dealer and the rest of the gun to you. And also, don't forget to specify that the lower be shipped without grip and collapsable buttstock.

6172crew
03-23-2006, 7:54 AM
The SW is also BW. They are the same family. Both companies are registered to the same address in AZ....Similar to Davis handgun companies, and hesse/vulcan etc....

So vector is banned???
Bobcat might now want the guns transfered but a private party out of state will sell you them.

BW isnt SW, they just use the parts made from SW. The owner isnt related at all, and they are in the process of breaking further apart.

Call Bobcat yourself and if you need more than that you can call Atlantic who will set you straight.;)

shopkeep
03-23-2006, 11:03 AM

Would Vector be willing to sell a gripless or pinned AK-47 in California? Why not just remove the pistol grip and ship a fixed stock AK that way?

6172crew
03-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Would Vector be willing to sell a gripless or pinned AK-47 in California? Why not just remove the pistol grip and ship a fixed stock AK that way?

You could always ask them. BTW the Vector HK receivers were made by SW from what Todd B says.:rolleyes: