PDA

View Full Version : .50 BMG Pistol legal in CA?

the proton
03-22-2006, 5:29 PM
OK, I know we are causing enough trouble with the AR/AK stuff, but I saw this on the pistol forum:

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepa...under_50_.html

Now, since the ban on 50 BMG is only on a RIFLE, would this (assuming it passed the safty cert, etc) be legal to own and buy in CA? It would seem you could make a carbon-15 pistol type handgun out of the barrett as a way to get the lower into CA.

I know the pistol is probably useless to fire with the recoil unless your name is Steve Austin, but still the idea of a CA-Legal .50 BMG is almost too good to pass up.

This would seem like the thing Ronnie Barrett would create just to play with the CA assembly.

Thoughts?

grammaton76
03-22-2006, 5:42 PM

Your URL's been truncated - the ...'s got into it. You might wanna fix it so folks can click on it. :)

Now, another crazy thought for you. You know how those Luger pistols are allowed to have the attachable stocks?

And you remember those funky carbine frames for 1911's?

...what's to stop someone with a legal single-shot pistol from attaching basically a rifle stock and barrel to it? Is there any legal limit at which it stops being a pistol?

Hunter
03-22-2006, 5:56 PM
OK, I know we are causing enough trouble with the AR/AK stuff, but I saw this on the pistol forum:

Now, since the ban on 50 BMG is only on a RIFLE, would this (assuming it passed the safty cert, etc) be legal to own and buy in CA? It would seem you could make a carbon-15 pistol type handgun out of the barrett as a way to get the lower into CA.

I know the pistol is probably useless to fire with the recoil unless your name is Steve Austin, but still the idea of a CA-Legal .50 BMG is almost too good to pass up.

This would seem like the thing Ronnie Barrett would create just to play with the CA assembly.

Thoughts?

While the pistol is legal (if you can get the DOJ to put it on their approved list) it would open the door to bigger issues. Once the .50bmg pistol was readly available in commercial channels, most of the cheap .50bmg ammo would be banned. Why? Well AP rounds in a pistol is illegal and for a .50BMG, even the std Ball ammo is steel core. It just has a softer steel core than the AP classified bullets. But the ball ammo still does a very nice job on 1/2"s steel at 200 yrds.:o

So if this was to happen, all of the cheap military ammo would dry up fast and then we would be left with $4/rnd AMAX or such for the rifles. No thanks.

grammaton76
03-22-2006, 6:04 PM
While the pistol is legal (if you can get the DOJ to put it on their approved list) it would open the door to bigger issues.

Ah, bear in mind that as a single shot pistol, it does not have to be on the approved list! Legislative update from last year...

Rumpled
03-22-2006, 6:44 PM
Teh AP ammo restriction would be worse, a la chicom 7.62x39 since Oly made a 7.62x39 pistol.
The Lugers and 1911s with stocks aren't legal in CA IIRC.

jmlivingston
03-22-2006, 6:45 PM
This was brought up once before... apparently a .50bmg pistol is an NFA item.

John

uglygun
03-22-2006, 6:45 PM
I'd like to put a boot in the butt of any person who tried to make a readily available 50BMG handgun, for the reasons Hunter expanded on.

Remember all that steel core 7.62x39mm that used to come into the country and was nice and cheap?

Thanks to Olympic Arms going out and making an AR15 handgun in 7.62x39mm all that steel core rifle ammo got reclassified as "AP handgun ammo" and importation stopped.

It's the AP ammo bans and the fact that hunting handguns are readily available in 308Winchester that you don't see any 7.62Nato AP on the market, same for 223Rem/5.56x45mm(plus the AR15 pistols).

I shoot surplus 50BMG projectiles through my 50BMG and will be damn pissed if somebody goes out and ruins it for us. For reloading it would likely take several years for the supplies to dry up but companies like Talon would no longer be able to sell remanufactured Ball or AP 50BMG, Barrett and IMI would have to stop the sales of new manufacture M33.

It's an idea that needs to be buried.

ohsmily
03-22-2006, 8:20 PM
You have a .50 BMG and don't reload???? wow...

uglygun
03-23-2006, 2:32 AM
Yes, I do reload using surp components for the majority of my shooting.

But I have and would like to be able to buy new production commercial or remanufactured ammo in the future should I need to.

A stupid 50BMG novelty handgun would wind up putting that ability at risk.

Mike Searson
03-23-2006, 5:08 AM
50 BMG pistols are classed as destructive devices by the NFA.

You'd have as good a chance of getting a machine gun, suppressor, sbr, or 12" bbl shotgun as you would one of those in California.