PDA

View Full Version : Ow! My Nails!

Sajedene
06-01-2010, 9:41 PM
Any other ladies out there still maintain a lovely manicure while handling weapons?

I can not walk around with out having my nails done. I get them done every two to three weeks. I have never had a problem when it comes to shooting or cleaning my gun.

Tonight is the first night I have ever broken a nail (well cracked it bad since its on skin) and its not due to guns but due to me putting batteries into my electronic muffs! :mad: it hurts!

If no manicures, other painful stories of hand hurt due to our love of shooting to share?

2Cute2Shoot
06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Saj, I can't believe you really made it this far in life without ever breaking a nail. You must keep them really short! I'm with you, and I for one cannot understand how guys go thru life without getting manicures. It's not about being girlie or pretty, but it's about being sanitary....every guy should do it at LEAST once a month! I did my brother's cuticles once and so much gunk came out, it was disgusting :ack2:. I can only imagine what most guys' feet are like who never pedi!:puke:

Anyway, if I have my nails normally done, the color will only last like 1 day before I crack a nail or it looks ugly :(. So I usually do acrylics or just get a fill. A really good manicurist can get them so flat that they look totally natural, and those will last and not crack no matter how many magazines I load and how much solvent I use when I'm cleaning the bolt of my AR :)

Steyrlp10
06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I could never be a hand model while loading my magazines or lipping a bass. Such is fate - lol

The only things that have survived is my long hair (constantly shut in the car door - lol) and waterproof eyeliner to prevent that Alice Cooper look when racing in the boat.

Rekrab
06-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I used to really keep up on buffing my nails and pushing back my cuticles but it ultimately was just too much of a hassle for a guy like me. If I painted or put polish on my nails I'd usually trash it in a couple days and by the end of the week I'd be picking it off.

That said, I DO clean my nails and toenails regularly, that gunk that builds up under the nail is too gross!

Oh, but on topic... If I let my nails get too long I always end up shredding them while loading mags for my PX4, don't know why... it just seems like that cartridge and magazine combo is really hard on my nails. I suppose I could use a mag loader but that would be so unmanly >.>

Lancear15
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I suppose I could use a mag loader but that would be so unmanly >.>

Well based on the first part of your post I wouldn't think something not being manly would stop you.

And there is nothing unmanly about the Lula speed loader (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/47898-1.html). :gun_bandana:

OliveCookieMonsta
06-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I can't keep the acrylic nails... as pretty as they are.. all that gun powder under my regular nails bug me as it is... and i break them all the time, trying to decrease my time.

I just maintain the French Pedi. : ) Makes me happy! : )

Steyrlp10
06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Olive, show me this weekend :)

Catheaven
06-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I haven't had much of a problem with my acrylic set while shooting my pistol.i have one of those Lula loaders for my pistol mag. Love that thing b/c I just don't have the hand strength to load a mag without it.

I have noticed that it is harder to load a shotgun though with the acrylics. But i like my nails and for now they stay.

Rule .308
06-02-2010, 1:12 PM
You girls are funny, thank you for reminding me how much I enjoy being a boy and not having to worry about the finer things in life. I am a mechanic and one of the fringe benefits of my job is "mechanic hands". They are rough and tough, cracked in places, and I can do things like peel the foil off of baked potatoes and shuck corn on the cob right off of the bbq. I keep my nails short and if one of them gets long enough to get damaged it gets chewed off. Now my girls (wife, daughters, neices, grandaughters etc) the amount of money that they spend on manis and pedis is staggering but I have to admit I do like the way it all looks when it is fresh and perfect so you girls just keep up the good work 'cause us guys do appreciate it.

professorhard
06-02-2010, 1:17 PM
You girls should get a large acrylic nail and have them file it to a point so you can manipulate the magazine release on a bullet button...is it a tool? Couldn't tell ya...

9mmepiphany
06-02-2010, 1:38 PM
I used to really keep up on buffing my nails and pushing back my cuticles but it ultimately was just too much of a hassle for a guy like me. If I painted or put polish on my nails I'd usually trash it in a couple days and by the end of the week I'd be picking it off.
I can't keep the acrylic nails... as pretty as they are.. all that gun powder under my regular nails bug me as it is... and i break them all the time, trying to decrease my time.

buffing works so much better than a clear coat. well shaped nails usually are pretty resistant to breakage.

Olive - sounds like you just have brittle nails...try more gelatin in your diet.

i've been told my nails are disturbingly long and my answer is usually "but are they clean?"
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/14-strightLFthumb.jpg
i figured out that it was a remnant of 8 years playing piano. i usually crack the one on my right hand middle finger...i think it's from drawing my gun at speed and banging it against the inside of the holster

tacticalcity
06-02-2010, 1:46 PM
The title cracked me up. Not nearly as funny once you read the entire post.

Steyrlp10
06-02-2010, 2:24 PM
The title cracked me up. Not nearly as funny once you read the entire post.

Aw c'mon... where else can you get such variety but on CGN? Lol...

8bitnintendo
06-02-2010, 2:43 PM
My nails are always pretty short; otherwise I'd tear them on a ship or get annoyed while typing and hack them all off or something. I do keep them clean though, and usually buffed...

Sajedene
06-02-2010, 7:22 PM
Woohoo nails! Done or not done, everyone should keep them clean. Even the men!

I get gel nails. Best things ever and so worth the money. I have always been told that I have really healthy nails so even when I grew them out they never broke. So I was so surprised (and still in pain) after cracking them from last night. Stupid earmuff batteries. :(

Totally agree with 9mmepiphany about the buffing.

And much love to the Lula speed loader! I spend more time shooting, less time loading with that baby.

N6ATF
06-02-2010, 7:25 PM
I hate scrubbing under my nails so I just clip them down. Rather risk ingrowns than the guaranteed ick.

2Cute2Shoot
06-02-2010, 9:33 PM
due to me putting batteries into my electronic muffs! :mad: it hurts!

Stupid earmuff batteries. :(

Wow, I'm SOOO glad you cleared that up. I thought I knew what muffs were, but then I was totally wondering since you were putting batteries in yours! :eek: But I was too embarrassed to ask if was........personal. :p

I still don't know what kind of muffs use batteries though :confused:

Saigon1965
06-02-2010, 9:58 PM
Check the link - There lies your answer -

http://www.gunblast.com/dillon_muffs.htm

Wow, I'm SOOO glad you cleared that up. I thought I knew what muffs were, but then I was totally wondering since you were putting batteries in yours! :eek: But I was too embarrassed to ask if was........personal. :p

Scratch705
06-03-2010, 12:29 AM
It's not about being girlie or pretty, but it's about being sanitary....

don't need to do a pedi or mani to maintain good sanitary personal hygiene. :)

Turo
06-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Saj, I can't believe you really made it this far in life without ever breaking a nail. You must keep them really short! I'm with you, and I for one cannot understand how guys go thru life without getting manicures. It's not about being girlie or pretty, but it's about being sanitary....every guy should do it at LEAST once a month! I did my brother's cuticles once and so much gunk came out, it was disgusting :ack2:. I can only imagine what most guys' feet are like who never pedi!:puke:

Nah, when they get bad I just pick the gunk out with my knife! :D

RogueSniper
06-03-2010, 1:09 AM
In my job, I can get a manicure and I get to write it off as a business expense! :D Beat that one! :thumbsup:

I have to admit that the first time I was REQUIRED to get a manicure, it was actually quite relaxing. It's nice to be fussed over. I used to have the some messed-up paws. Now, I have to keep my hands and nails presentable.

No open toe footwear, so pedicures are optional.

+1 for the UpLULA

9mmepiphany
06-03-2010, 7:14 AM
In my job, I can get a manicure and I get to write it off as a business expense! :D Beat that one! :thumbsup:

i can beat that

i once broke my wrist at work and workman's comp wanted me to return to work for "modified duty". i told them i needed my nails cut and didn't think my family should have to do it for me, because it would be penalizing me for not being single.

ayup...they had to pay for it

Sajedene
06-03-2010, 8:13 AM

Ahaha omg. No way would I be talking about that or even dare to use one of "those" things.

Yes, electronic EAR muffs / EAR protection.

And wtf I want work to pay for my nail salon visits too!

VictorFranko
06-03-2010, 8:23 AM

I married a cute Vietnamese manicurist. She cooks me wonderful food and I don't pay anything for my manicures!
I think you were just one-upped RogueSniper!
(Sorry for jumping in, but I couldn't resist!)

2Cute2Shoot
06-03-2010, 8:43 AM
I married a cute Vietnamese manicurist. She cooks me wonderful food and I don't pay anything for my manicures!
I think you were just one-upped RogueSniper!
(Sorry for jumping in, but I couldn't resist!)

If you're married to her, shouldn't you be referring to her as an esthetician or at least a cosmetologist? :rolleyes: I hope you are giving her the proper respect at home!

Sajedene
06-03-2010, 3:46 PM
My mom is an esthetician (amongst other things) and she does not do mani's or pedis. They specialize in the face and skin. A manicurist specializes in nails. Fyi ;)

Sajedene
06-03-2010, 3:48 PM
Oh and to add if we wanted to be PC then we use the term nail technician. (God I am so bored at work! 2 more hours!)

Steyrlp10
06-03-2010, 3:58 PM
i can beat that

i once broke my wrist at work and workman's comp wanted me to return to work for "modified duty". i told them i needed my nails cut and didn't think my family should have to do it for me, because it would be penalizing me for not being single.

ayup...they had to pay for it

The image... the image... lol :)

Were you able to convince them that you needed an assistant at the range too? Hee-hee...

tacticalcity
06-03-2010, 4:08 PM

Now if a guy had said that he would have gotten himself into hot water. ;)

Took an AR course last month, when I was done for the day my hands looked like I had just stripped down a car engine. Getting them completely clean took two attempts and a couple hours. That gunpower grime can get under your nails so deep you have to hurt yourself to get it out.

VictorFranko
06-03-2010, 6:07 PM
If you're married to her, shouldn't you be referring to her as an esthetician or at least a cosmetologist? :rolleyes: I hope you are giving her the proper respect at home!

2cute, no, she is neither an esthetician or a cosmetologist.
Why would you feel the need to question whether or not I give my wife proper respect :confused:
Most of the time when she offers to give me a manicure, I decline because I don't feel good about her coming home from work just to do more work.

2Cute2Shoot
06-03-2010, 9:46 PM
2cute, no, she is neither an esthetician or a cosmetologist.
Why would you feel the need to question whether or not I give my wife proper respect :confused:
Most of the time when she offers to give me a manicure, I decline because I don't feel good about her coming home from work just to do more work.

I was just giving you a hard time :). I saw two openings...one was my 'guy getting a manicure' :rofl2: and the other was the about your wife. But I was only teasing...I was just making up other 'titles' for her :). I'm sure it's different with you because she loves you and she gets to hold your hand while she does it and make you pretty :)

2Cute2Shoot
06-03-2010, 9:53 PM
Check the link - There lies your answer -

http://www.gunblast.com/dillon_muffs.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/images/DillonMuff1.jpghttp://www.gunblast.com/images/DillonMuff3.jpg

OK, so I read about electronic muffs and and saw the ugly man and now I know they have nothing to do with diving but my question is.... if your batteries die, do the bangs get loud or does the talking get soft? :confused:

If it's the first one, then wouldn't that be really dangerous? Especially like for me who shoots outdoors most of the time...if my muffs died (sounds weird), I really couldn't run away fast enough before I really hurt my ears! :eek: Maybe they are only for indoor ranges?

VictorFranko
06-04-2010, 5:22 AM
I was just giving you a hard time :). I saw two openings...one was my 'guy getting a manicure' :rofl2: and the other was the about your wife. But I was only teasing...I was just making up other 'titles' for her :). I'm sure it's different with you because she loves you and she gets to hold your hand while she does it and make you pretty :)

My wife would have to be a MAGICIAN to make me pretty, not just a manicurist!

Lancear15
06-04-2010, 8:02 AM
OK, so I read about electronic muffs and and saw the ugly man and now I know they have nothing to do with diving but my question is.... if your batteries die, do the bangs get loud or does the talking get soft? :confused:

The talking would be muffled instead of clear, when the electronics are turned off, or the batteries are dead then they act just like regular muffs.

The only point of the electronics is so you can have better situational awareness, IE hearing range commands, etc..

2Cute2Shoot
06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
The talking would be muffled instead of clear, when the electronics are turned off, or the batteries are dead then they act just like regular muffs.

The only point of the electronics is so you can have better situational awareness, IE hearing range commands, etc..

Uh, I don't know about that. :rolleyes: Here is what it says on the scary looking man's link:

These new Dillon muffs have the latest type of electronics that never completely shut off, but reduce loud, harmful noises to a comfortable level.

If the electronics reduce the noise, when the battery is dead, the 'loud', 'harmful' noise comes back, right? I do not want to be on a firing line when that happens!:eek:

Lancear15
06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Uh, I don't know about that. :rolleyes: Here is what it says on the scary looking man's link:

These new Dillon muffs have the latest type of electronics that never completely shut off, but reduce loud, harmful noises to a comfortable level.

If the electronics reduce the noise, when the battery is dead, the 'loud', 'harmful' noise comes back, right? I do not want to be on a firing line when that happens!:eek:

Trust me ;)

What he means by "electronics that never completely shut off" is that the noise amplification never turns off, even when ambient noise is almost non existent (which sometimes is better so you don't hear yourself breathing all the time).

2Cute2Shoot
06-04-2010, 1:41 PM

Trust me ;)

What he means by "electronics that never completely shut off" is that the noise amplification never turns off, even when ambient noise is almost non existent (which sometimes is better so you don't hear yourself breathing all the time).

But it says 'electronics...that reduce loud harmful noises to a comfortable level'. I guess I am just not understanding the way he wrote it. :confused:

But I was getting totally curious so I found this article:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_150_25/ai_67886026/

that says:
Dillon's literature states that the electronic circuit, "Amplifies weak sounds while at the same time blocking out loud, harmful noise."

9mmepiphany
06-04-2010, 1:43 PM

you're missing the point that the ear muffs amplify sound and reduce that amplification when the sounds reach a certain threshold... the amplification does not turn off during shots, it only lowers the louder noises to a safe level. without the amplification (dead batteries or not turning them on), the muffs still offer their inherent noise reduction.

electronic ear muffs really offer a lot of advantages in safety. especially during classes/instruction...as a matter of fact, we usually have the students put their muffs on backwards so that the can better hear range commands

Sheepdog1968
06-04-2010, 1:48 PM
...I for one cannot understand how guys go thru life without getting manicures. ... I can only imagine what most guys' feet are like who never pedi!:puke:

Firearms are hard on my girlfriends nails as well and she likes to keep them a bit on the longer side (the best backscratcher there is IMO). It seems as if when one breaks, they all need to be trimmed to the same length, which I don't fully understand but am ok with.

As for guys, well, I use scissors to cut my nails more often than not. My girlfriend refers to my feet as godzilla like with dragon skin, which I take as a matter of pride.
:D

Having said that, I do buy her lots of flowers and other things that she likes so it all balances.

Lancear15
06-04-2010, 1:51 PM
I use these because they are low profile and I can still get a good cheek weld on any rifle. The electronics are great, I can actually hear more clearly with them on. Even in low sound environments, the amplification is adjustable. You can also wear them under a helmet, you know, for when the zombies come.

http://www.boss-safety.com/uploads/commerce/images/10082166.jpeg

shellyzsweet
06-04-2010, 2:33 PM
I used to have nails before I got my old job. I loved them! My dad would always joke about how nice my hands looked while shooting....but I found in the beginning of my EMT job I was breaking them all the time cause of gurney work, plus I was worried about breaking a glove.....Now that I'm used to the job and equipment I think I could handle it....maybe when I get a new EMS job, cause right now I can't afford them!
But I LOVED having my nails done!

The Duke
06-04-2010, 5:59 PM
I used to have nails before I got my old job. I loved them! My dad would always joke about how nice my hands looked while shooting....but I found in the beginning of my EMT job I was breaking them all the time cause of gurney work, plus I was worried about breaking a glove.....Now that I'm used to the job and equipment I think I could handle it....maybe when I get a new EMS job, cause right now I can't afford them!
But I LOVED having my nails done!

Shelly, as an EMT, your touch might be the last thing some poor bloke feels. Your fingers placing a breathing mask over his face - the last thing he sees. For god sakes, let the poor devils see some beautiful, long, manicured, feminine nails on pretty hands before we go off to the creator! It's the least you can do for humankind.

Sajedene
06-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Shelly, as an EMT, your touch might be the last thing some poor bloke feels. Your fingers placing a breathing mask over his face - the last thing he sees. For god sakes, let the poor devils see some beautiful, long, manicured, feminine nails on pretty hands before we go off to the creator! It's the least you can do for humankind.

Yes! Just keep them short with round edges :)

pieeater
06-05-2010, 3:30 PM
If no manicures, other painful stories of hand hurt due to our love of shooting to share?

I was working on a friday morning and a piece of sheet metal fell on the side of my trigger finger laying it open to the bone. I went and got it sewn up and then was off to oregon goose hunting. I couldnt move my trigger finger so decided i could use my middle finger.

So the next morning its like 11 degrees out im laying in a field some geese come in i jump up to shoot using my middle finger. Which unknowing to me leaves my messed up finger in line with the bolt on the 1187. As soon as i shoot the bolt flew back and nailed my hurt finger so freaking hard.

2Cute2Shoot
06-06-2010, 2:02 PM
Firearms are hard on my girlfriends nails as well and she likes to keep them a bit on the longer side (the best backscratcher there is IMO). It seems as if when one breaks, they all need to be trimmed to the same length, which I don't fully understand but am ok with.

As for guys, well, I use scissors to cut my nails more often than not. My girlfriend refers to my feet as godzilla like with dragon skin, which I take as a matter of pride.
:D

Having said that, I do buy her lots of flowers and other things that she likes so it all balances.

You're funny sheepdog. :) I am totally laughing just thinking about a girl with nails all different lengths. :rofl2: She would look like a nut! LOL

And scissors to cut fingernails? You can cut them short with that? :confused: Without cracking them? You must have sharp scissors and talent! So that means no manicures? Some guys have the dirtiest, gunkiest nails :ack2:. I guess that's Ok for guys, but I know if that were my bf, I would be thinking "you want to put that nasty finger where?" LOL

professorhard
06-06-2010, 2:12 PM
Saje, what does all that stuff in your signature mean?