PDA

View Full Version : 1911 trigger work?

1-shot-1-kill
06-01-2010, 9:39 PM
does anyone know of a good adjustable replacement trigger for the 1911 45 acp somthing like a timney or jewell something that i can set for 1.5-2 lbs
or know how to make the factory trigger do the same
im in the east bay norcal any local gunsmiths that can do the work lpm me prices and turn around time trying to get this done asap b4 hunting season in sept.
any help is welcome
thanks all

ggruber
06-02-2010, 6:36 AM
does anyone know of a good adjustable replacement trigger for the 1911 45 acp somthing like a timney or jewell something that i can set for 1.5-2 lbs
or know how to make the factory trigger do the same
im in the east bay norcal any local gunsmiths that can do the work lpm me prices and turn around time trying to get this done asap b4 hunting season in sept.
any help is welcome
thanks all

you can't just replace the trigger of a 1911 to lighten the pull. the sear and hammer must be stoned properly and the sear spring adjusted. the trigger would need to be replaced with one lighter than 90 grains to achieve the weight you are asking for. the mainspring would also need to be lightened and you would need to be reloading with Federal primers only to achieve this weight.

while it is possible to build a 2# trigger for a 1911, the only people using one this light are professional competitors. unless this is what you are, you would be advised to stay with a trigger no lighter than 3-3.5 pounds.

you did not specify what you intend to use the gun for. that makes all the difference. i have to assume from your post that you know more about rifles than handguns. Neither Timney nor Jewell makes triggers for a 1911.

1-shot-1-kill
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
o ok right on
yeah im more into longrange rifles than pistols
i want to get my trigger pull down its at 6lbs
i want as light as i can get it without having to tear it apart
3-3.5lbs would be good it would help alot
as i use it for hunting and for target shooting but the heavy pull at distance throws my rounds off a bit

raycm2
06-03-2010, 7:54 PM
See what 1911Tuner recommends on m1911.org: here (http://www.m1911.org/technic20.htm)

GUNFREAK
06-12-2010, 10:34 PM
That website for Poorman's trigger job is very detailed and kinda difficult to follow without pics. Anyone you could recommend to do this professionally? I have a 1911 i woud like to reduce the trigger pull to 3-3.5 lbs too.

tia

only10x
06-13-2010, 2:43 AM
make sure you have a set of trigger weights and alot of patience.
I must have taken my 1st 1911 apart 20x before I knew what did what.
get an Arkansas stone too. if you need a set of springs pm me I think I have afew USGI laying around.
as one of the old timers told me once long ago. " with enough time and persistence any man can ___ a chicken"
search the forums and you can D.I.Y