PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbit, rabbit, and varying hare hunting

weix11
06-01-2010, 9:49 PM
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding rabbit hunting. Where are some areas you guys go to for rabbit hunting? Does it matter whether I have to go to private land or public land? If private land is better, how do I find landowners that allow hunting on their property? I believe the rabbit season starts on the first of July. Is this a good time to go, or would you recommend some other time? Also, do I need to buy the upland game bird stamp to go hunting for rabbits? Or is the hunting license all I need? Would you recommend a 12 gauge shotgun, or a bolt action .22 LR rifle?

Thanks for your help

winnre
06-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Uncle used a 30-30.

Jpach
06-01-2010, 10:54 PM
IIRC you can shoot jacks all year round. Im driving to New Mexico next week and I should pop quite a few rabbits along the way in AZ and in NM. My dad and I go to this huge area of land by my grandparents house and there are lots n lots of rabbits, enough to have a sky full of Hawks instead of Crows, theres really that many. Pretty cool.

benbangui
06-01-2010, 11:06 PM
yea its just cotton tails that have the season. i shoot to eat so i just get the lil cute tender guys :) never tried to eat jack rabbit... but im the same as albert. scoped rimfire at sunset. never wokn up for bunnys. know your scope and bullet placement though! sometimes they are 2 yards from ya, othertimes they are 100+. have fun :)

benbangui
06-01-2010, 11:14 PM
see... sometimes hunting bunnys can get a lil CQB...
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz1/benbangui/0528101921.jpg

cryoguy
06-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I want to take my Mosin jack hunting to see what is left over!

77bawls
06-02-2010, 2:23 PM
Why would you need a upland game bird stamp for rabbits? Upland game is just that, quail, turkey, etc.

PatriotnMore
06-02-2010, 2:51 PM
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding rabbit hunting. Where are some areas you guys go to for rabbit hunting? Does it matter whether I have to go to private land or public land? If private land is better, how do I find landowners that allow hunting on their property? I believe the rabbit season starts on the first of July. Is this a good time to go, or would you recommend some other time? Also, do I need to buy the upland game bird stamp to go hunting for rabbits? Or is the hunting license all I need? Would you recommend a 12 gauge shotgun, or a bolt action .22 LR rifle?
Thanks for your help

Private land CAN be better, but not necessarily. You find land owners by driving up slowly and respectfully on their property and ask if they would like help in reducing the number varmints, rabbits, or coyote on their property. Also, they are going to want to be sure you are going to be respectful of their property and safety first, so a good first impression is important.
If they do say yes, make sure you get a permission to hunt paperwork filled out and signed.
You only need a hunting license for rabbit, jack is year round, cotton til has season.
I would recommend 12 gauge for rabbit, especially on private property, and some BLM land requires shotgun only, so be sure to check with their rules if on BLM.