PDA

View Full Version : Century FA reciever?

gidddy169
03-22-2006, 11:22 AM
I have seen several century FAL recivers and couldn't find them being banned so does anyone know if they are legal like the Imbel ones that seem to be drying up are?

MaxQ
03-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes, the Century FAL receivers are legal here. They're also a US part. But I would STRONGLY recommend not buying a Century. I've heard of too many problems with them - misalignment, out of spec, etc. This isn't from my personal experience, but there are still enough other options. Although another receiver will cost more, I'd recommend getting a better quality upper receiver, and, if necessary, making up the cost difference somewhere else. Also, many FAL smiths prefer not working on Century receivers.

DSA and Entreprise currently produce receivers, although they can be out of stock at any given time. Coonan supposedly is in the final stages of gearing up for a new production run, but that's been the word for a while. You can often find Imbel and these other receivers available from private parties - check FAL Files. Again, although these receivers cost more, you're better off in the long run.

The only FAL receivers banned by name are the FN FAL receivers, made by Fabrique Nationale.

gidddy169
03-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks that is what I thought. As far as century goes I am not planning on buying one but I like to keep my options open. If I was to buy one I would buy one as a complete rifle that has worked well.
Thanks again

Pryde
03-22-2006, 2:41 PM
AFAIK, the new production century receivers are of pretty good quality. I think, from what rumors are saying, that century has the old DCI receiver molds and tooling (they bought out FAC) and they might be making their newer receivers off that tooling. The ones that they had a few years ago were crap though, they had unibrow feed ramps and were seriously out of spec. I think if you ordered a new one from century, they would be of pretty good quality, couldn't be any worse than the junk that entreprise puts out.

6172crew
03-22-2006, 7:40 PM
My DSA receiver that I just sent to CGW was out of spec, he was able to take care of what ever the problem was but even the $330 dollar ones arent perfect.:(

Hillbillly
03-22-2006, 9:21 PM
Yes, the Century FAL receivers are legal here. They're also a US part. But I would STRONGLY recommend not buying a Century. I've heard of too many problems with them - misalignment, out of spec, etc. This isn't from my personal experience, but there are still enough other options. Although another receiver will cost more, I'd recommend getting a better quality upper receiver, and, if necessary, making up the cost difference somewhere else. Also, many FAL smiths prefer not working on Century receivers.

DSA and Entreprise currently produce receivers, although they can be out of stock at any given time. Coonan supposedly is in the final stages of gearing up for a new production run, but that's been the word for a while. You can often find Imbel and these other receivers available from private parties - check FAL Files. Again, although these receivers cost more, you're better off in the long run.

The only FAL receivers banned by name are the FN FAL receivers, made by Fabrique Nationale.

This is not totally correct.
The FN clone, Springfield SAR-48 is also on the banned list.