PDA

View Full Version : Pre Ban vrs Post Ban Uppers

kenc9
03-22-2006, 9:07 AM
I am in the beginning of building up A Stag lower and in searching around I see complete uppers in the neighborhood of about 475.00 that some are
Pre Ban vrs Post Ban Uppers. Is this a concern any more? Why are these still being labled this way?

-ken

Surveyor
03-22-2006, 9:20 AM
Post bans' usually have a non-threaded muzzle brake or non at all. They have a flash suppressor look to them, but they're not the same in function. For my carbine build I'm going for a pre ban upper with a threaded barrel so I can put on a big Krink flash suppressor or a fake silencer. :cool:

bwiese
03-22-2006, 9:48 AM
The terms preban and postban refer only to the now-Federal assault weapons ban - this ban expired in September 2004 and is of course not in force.

But these terms still hang about w/regard to AR15 uppers since they still are used to imply a differentiation: flash hiders and (usually) bayonet lugs for 'preban', whereas bare crowned muzzles or muzzle brakes, and no bayonet lug are termed 'postban'.

Additionally, it is most likely these days that the newer 'postban' barrels with muzzle brakes do not have the muzzle brake permanently attached if the barrel is over 16" long to begin with. (The expired Federal ban did not like barrels threaded, so postban barrels w/muzzle brakes mfgd before Sept 2004 had the muzzle brake silver soldered or pinned & welded on. )

Now the only time a muzzle device - either flash hider or muzzle brake - needs to be pinned/welded or silver-soldered on is to bring a short barrel up to the legal minimum length of 16". [This applies to both Federal and CA law.]

By contrast, California assault weapon laws don't care about bayonet lugs, or threaded barrels on rifles. Flash suppressors are indeed legal, like pistol grips, if the rifle is _not_ a considered a semiautomatic centerfire rifle with detachable magazine - that is, a fixed-10rd-mag rifle.

kenc9
03-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks, that pretty much clears it up, thanks!

-ken

ldivinag
03-22-2006, 12:17 PM
anyone got pixs of an actual bayonet mounted on that lug?