PDA

View Full Version : Snake Recipe

180ls1
05-31-2010, 3:52 PM
I never really kill and eat rattlers but for some reason i have been getting an itch to eat one and maybe more depending on how it is. How do you guys prepare/cook them when you eat them and what ingredients do you use? I was thinking something spicy might be cool.

taperxz
05-31-2010, 4:24 PM
That snake is a little small to eat. Cut out the back straps, cut them into little scallops and pan fry them with olive oil and garlic.

Firearms Multimedia Guide
05-31-2010, 4:56 PM
Yak. I would rather shoot those bastards then eat them

professionalcoyotehunter
06-01-2010, 7:32 AM
I throw them on the BBQ whole (skinned of course) with a little bit of Lawry's seasoning salt and it is delicious.

Big Jake
06-01-2010, 9:05 AM
:puke:

professionalcoyotehunter
06-01-2010, 9:11 AM
If you want a BUNCH OF THEM I will go with you snake hunting. We caught and released 9 last night. They were all rattlers but they were small. If we get ones 2.5-5ft long we will harvest them and skin them and eat them.

I will probably head out tonight if it is not windy.

CSACANNONEER
06-01-2010, 9:14 AM
I've got a 4fter going on the grill today.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-01-2010, 9:17 AM
Nice! How are you cooing yours?

The largest we have caught was a 5ft+ Pacific rattler and she was fat with babies in her when we skinned her and guted her. It was pretty gross. That was when I learned they gave live birth.

CSACANNONEER
06-01-2010, 9:22 AM
I'm just going to grill it with some BBQ sauce. We did it Saturday with a 3 footer but, it was a skinny one and we over cooked it. At least, those who wanted to try it, got a little taste. I'm not sure why the big one never made it to the grill but, that's OK. There's more for me.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-01-2010, 9:24 AM
Nice. I want to get a few nice ones gathered up and smoke them for about 3 hours so the meat peels off like butter.

180ls1
06-01-2010, 1:59 PM
If you want a BUNCH OF THEM I will go with you snake hunting. We caught and released 9 last night. They were all rattlers but they were small. If we get ones 2.5-5ft long we will harvest them and skin them and eat them.

I will probably head out tonight if it is not windy.

thanks for the offer but i am a little bit too south (San Diego) of you to make it worth it, i am not really dieing to eat a snake hahaha.

It seems like you can just cook them however you want to there is not much of a trick to cooking them but i would imagine they could dry out easily.

zerohour714
06-01-2010, 4:08 PM
The way we have done it is chop it up into 2-3 inch pieces. Dip the pieces in an egg wash, then coat in a seasoned flour (salt, pepper Italian seasoning). Then fry the pieces in hot canola oil until golden brown. You need a bigger snake, but it turns out awesome!

gotime
06-01-2010, 4:17 PM
she was fat with babies in her when we skinned her and guted her. It was pretty gross. That was when I learned they gave live birth.

That is gross. What did you do with the live babies? They look albino right?

Super Spy
06-01-2010, 4:46 PM
I had some at the Garlic Festival in Gilroy. They were breaded and deep fried. Delicious!

Timberwolf
06-01-2010, 4:55 PM
On a good size rattler (3-5 footer) - skin it, and then I normally debone as best I can then soak peices in buttermilk, the put in a baggie with a mixture of flour, corn meal, and salt/pepper to taste, take out pieces and fry in deep skillet like you would fried chicken or catfish (yeah its a southern thing - we fry everything)

Abesnake
06-01-2010, 7:26 PM
Timberwolf and Zerohour, you guys have the right idea, but if you boil the meat on a slow flame the meat will fall right off the bone. Then, if it's breaded and fried in canola oil...can I come over? It also comes out nice if you debone it that way and, make a stew. Just add your favorite veggies, spices and thickening and serve it ITRALIAN style on spaghetti. Ummh! Big Jake, are you sick yet? Well, try it on a bagel with cream cheese. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Mr. Ed
06-02-2010, 5:49 AM
How do you guys deal with the venom from the snake? Is it still in the snake's internal system?

olhunter
06-02-2010, 6:44 AM
How do you guys deal with the venom from the snake? Is it still in the snake's internal system?

The venom is in little self-contained sacs above the fangs. Cut off and bury the head and the rest is good.

Like this -

http://icwdm.org/Images/amph-reptile/snake-rattler/Rattle2dm.jpg

professionalcoyotehunter
06-02-2010, 7:17 AM
That is gross. What did you do with the live babies? They look albino right?

They had color just like a large one. They did not look proportional either since their head to body ratio looked funny. I tried to skin them as well but they were so soft that I had to waste them and throw them away.

Paper Boy
06-02-2010, 7:32 AM
How do you guys deal with the bones?

professionalcoyotehunter
06-02-2010, 9:09 AM
That is easy. You only peel the backstraps off.

tacticalcity
06-02-2010, 10:54 AM
You guys crack me up. I see a rattle snake I'm peeing my pants while reaching for a gun. Last thing on my mind is what kind of wine would go well with it. ;)

They are all over my father's vineyard in Oroville. Thankfully they avoid people as much as we try to avoid them. But we've seen a lot of dead ones up there. Always worried one of his dogs will get ahold of one of them. I assume a dog would be toast.

Hunter
06-02-2010, 3:33 PM
They had color just like a large one. They did not look proportional either since their head to body ratio looked funny. I tried to skin them as well but they were so soft that I had to waste them and throw them away.

For the unborn ones, just cut the heads off then batter them up and deep fry as is. Basically the same way one does grunions or surf smelt.

Timberwolf
06-02-2010, 3:45 PM
I have a question for fellow snake eaters - I've always been told not to capture a snake (at least for a long period of time) you intend to eat as they will sometimes intentionally bite themselves (it has no ill effect on them) thus tainting the meat for consumption. Anyone ever see this? If so does it really taint the meat??? anyone know for sure.

I let a 4 1/2 foot Mojave go a couple of weeks ago that had been caught and kept in a 5 gal bucket for a week because I couldn't get this out of my head.

Abesnake
06-02-2010, 5:23 PM
I have a question for fellow snake eaters - I've always been told not to capture a snake (at least for a long period of time) you intend to eat as they will sometimes intentionally bite themselves (it has no ill effect on them) thus tainting the meat for consumption. Anyone ever see this? If so does it really taint the meat??? anyone know for sure.

I let a 4 1/2 foot Mojave go a couple of weeks ago that had been caught and kept in a 5 gal bucket for a week because I couldn't get this out of my head.

I'm not positive, but I believe the venom can only hurt your if it gets in your blood directly. If it's cooked with the meat it will probably be neutralized and, besides your stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve it.:cool2:

180ls1
06-02-2010, 5:29 PM
wow lots of good ideas here. I am thinking maybe some rattlesnake fajitas would be good.

Timberwolf
06-02-2010, 9:33 PM
Out of curiosity I googled my own question tonight - only a couple of things on the subject and the general consesus is not to eat the meat if the snake has bitten itself. While cooking may lesson the effects and the human body may indeed break the toxins down, if there are any cuts, sores, etc in your mouth, throat, stomach the toxins may enter the bloodstream which could be troublesome.

That said I sure hated letting that Mojave go, he was just the right eating size, and docile enough (we never let him warm up while in the bucket) dispactching would have been relatively easy. Oh well at the rate we're going this year I'm sure another will turn up. Anyone else besides me notice its a little snakier this year than normal?

ThatFishGuy
06-03-2010, 12:16 AM
My parents have seen alot more snakes at their ranch recently. My guess is since we had more rain= more brush/vegetation= more rodents= more snakes. That would be very weird if the snakes did that. Rattler venom basically digests the tissues it comes into contact with, i dont see how they could be immune to that, but heck i'v heard of weirder things. But i do know that the venom, like you said, has to be in the blood stream to take effect. Our stomach acid is too strong, but ya sores or cuts could be an issue thats probably not worth the risk. That being said, i find it hard to believe they would bite themselves. The stress hormones releases during capture and containment definitely might build up though and taint the meat if they are stressed for too long.

... okay so i just remembered that kingsnakes are resistant to rattler venom, so maybe the rattlers can just as easily be immune, im rambling now its late.... I have really been wanting to make a rattlesnake chilli...

180ls1
06-03-2010, 8:11 AM
ya my neighbor up the street has seen 8 (which is a lot more the normal) and he is just about as active as i am but i have not seen 1 yet. I would not be surprised at all if there are a lot more this year.

Abesnake
06-03-2010, 2:57 PM
I read on the net that in Thailand they make a drink out of cobra venom. Supposedly, you don't get sick but the high will knock the S out of you. :cheers2:

Rob454
06-03-2010, 7:31 PM
If the venom does not enter the bloodstream you are ok. You can ingest it.
When i catch them ( the bigger ones) I usually skin and gut them then I piece them out tenderize them into flat pieces then roll them in some egg and flour. then fry them in oil.

Other than that I used to make snake jerky.

I only really killed them if I caught one close to the campsite. Or if someone in our party has never had any and they wanna try it Ill hunt one down and cook it.

gn3hz3ku1*
06-04-2010, 1:57 PM
PCH next time you go and if i am free can i just watch you? i know you told me i dont need a hunting license but damn im a chicken ****?

Timberwolf
06-04-2010, 3:13 PM
Maybe we should have CalGuns rattlesnake round up and cookout.

That said I saw the prettiest red racer last weekend at work (the range) - about 4 1/2 foot long - grumpy little thing though didn't like us playing with him. He is living in one of the old burrows under the rifle range house at APTS. I know we have a couple of resident hawks this year, two gopher snakes that keep hanging around, a huge king snake and now a racer. Doubt we'll get any more rattlers.

Jason_2111
06-04-2010, 3:21 PM
I have really been wanting to make a rattlesnake chilli...

Mmmm... brings back good memories.

I used to be stationed with this guy from Texas that would bring back rattlesnake chili when he'd come back from leave. It was quite excellent.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-04-2010, 3:58 PM
PCH next time you go and if i am free can i just watch you? i know you told me i dont need a hunting license but damn im a chicken ****?

I am headed out tonight for sure the weather is perfect for them and I am hungry.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-04-2010, 4:00 PM
Maybe we should have CalGuns rattlesnake round up and cookout.

That said I saw the prettiest red racer last weekend at work (the range) - about 4 1/2 foot long - grumpy little thing though didn't like us playing with him. He is living in one of the old burrows under the rifle range house at APTS. I know we have a couple of resident hawks this year, two gopher snakes that keep hanging around, a huge king snake and now a racer. Doubt we'll get any more rattlers.

I have been seeing rattlers nearly everyday on my way home through San Fran Can. Be safe and keep your eyes open since they are near the range everytime I see them.

Big Jake
06-04-2010, 4:05 PM
I am headed out tonight for sure the weather is perfect for them and I am hungry.

Post up pics if you get any PCH!

Eargasm
06-06-2010, 1:08 PM
Where's the best place to find them- are you looking under rocks and logs or are they out sunning themselves?

Brian2217
06-06-2010, 5:47 PM
I usually skin them, cut them into 2in sections, boil them for about 15 min. throw them on the BBQ and baste them with BBQ sauce.

POLICESTATE
06-06-2010, 6:11 PM
Okay another thing that sucks about the Bay Area. No easy access to hunt rattlesnakes. Everywhere around here is either private property or it's a friggin nature conserve of some sort :mad:

One of the few things I miss about So Cal was the desert and the ability to go out and do whatever so long as you're not wrecking the place.

ChaparralCommando
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Where are the organs located on a snake to gut them? What is the technique to get them out?

Brian2217
06-07-2010, 1:31 PM
Where are the organs located on a snake to gut them? What is the technique to get them out?

I will do my best to explain on how I do it.

To answere your first question. Think of cleaning a fish, it pretty much the same technique. The guts are located under the snake.

1. Find snake.

2. Either pin the snake to the ground right behind the head with a stick or if your really brave step on the head and remove head with a knife or other sharp instrument. The other way is shoot them in the head with snake shot and then pin there head down and remove the head.

( Always bury the head and remeber the head can still bit you)

3. Roll snake over onto it's belly and find the Cloaca ( The butt hole) This is down by it's tail. Take knife insert and cut up. Remove all the organs and clean with fresh water. I should add that you will most likely jump about twenty feet when doing this. Even though the head is removed the snake will try and strike at you even after several hours or days of having the head removed.

4. To remove the skin, you need to cut around the neck area. Once you have enough skin to grab with your finger, then pull straight down towards the tail. Once at the tail just cut that cartilage away.

It's ready to be cook.

Hope thats helps you,

Brain