PDA

View Full Version : A question about windows on a mac

Blackhawk556
05-31-2010, 12:40 PM
I started another thread. I posted my results for VMware fusion on that thread

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=307473
I just bought a Mac and I'm going to install win7 ultimate that I got for free from MS. I don't want to create a large partition (may be 60gb)

If I install windows right now and activate it, and let's say in 6 months I install a larger hard drive, what will happen to my activations?

If my product key can only be used once, will I be able to install windows on the new hard drive? Will same product key activate again?

Also, if later on I decide 60 gb was too small of a partition is there a way to expand the partition? Or is it stuck at 60 gb?

I know I can expand partitons on a PC but since I'm creationg the partition from bootcamp this time, I'm not sure how that works.

Dr Rockso
05-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I just bought a Mac and I'm going to install win7 ultimate that I got for free from MS. I don't want to create a large partition (may be 60gb)

If I install windows right now and activate it, and let's say in 6 months I install a larger hard drive, what will happen to my activations?

If my product key can only be used once, will I be able to install windows on the new hard drive? Will same product key activate again?
I've never had a problem re-activating with the same key (with Vista). No different than if you replaced the HD in your desktop machine and wanted to do a reinstall (you could always call MS if there was a problem, assuming you own a legit copy of the OS).

Also, if later on I decide 60 gb was too small of a partition is there a way to expand the partition? Or is it stuck at 60 gb?

I know I can expand partitons on a PC but since I'm creationg the partition from bootcamp this time, I'm not sure how that works.
There's not an easy way to increase the size of the Windows partition and retain all of the data on that partition. There are some workarounds that involve cloning the partition to an external device and repartitioning the drive.

Blackhawk556
05-31-2010, 2:19 PM
I've never had a problem re-activating with the same key (with Vista). No different than if you replaced the HD in your desktop machine and wanted to do a reinstall (you could always call MS if there was a problem, assuming you own a legit copy of the OS).

There's not an easy way to increase the size of the Windows partition and retain all of the data on that partition. There are some workarounds that involve cloning the partition to an external device and repartitioning the drive.

so i would have to clone it to an external drive, repartition the drive to say 100gb then clone it back to the new 100 gb partition???

.................................................. ......................
KEY
does the activation key look at the hard drive where it was installed or the motherboard to see whether it is being activated on same computer???

Malthusian
05-31-2010, 2:28 PM
The size of the hard drive is only 1 factor. I have never had a Key issue when I change the drive size. I have upgraded several computers several times. The motherboard has all of the components that tend to activate the key change "prompt" if things are moved around. Usually (2) or more will prompt a reactivation.

Sinixstar
05-31-2010, 3:28 PM

Activation is tied to hardware IDs outside of just hard drive. You'll be able to activate it a second time. if it gives you a hard time, you just call the 800 number and explain the situation. I've installed the same copy of windows on the same machine over and over a good 15-20 times for testing/development purposes.

ImPoster
05-31-2010, 3:51 PM
Use something like symantec ghost and ghost the drive and then when you buy a larger hard drive just ghost it with the image that you made which will use the up the larger disk just fine.

ocabj
05-31-2010, 4:32 PM
This is where I thank God I don't use Windows. And when I do install Windows (Virtual Machines), I have Enterprise keys.

winnre
05-31-2010, 4:43 PM
If you reinstall and have major changes to your system, like a new motherboard, hard drive, network card, etc, then it may not auto register. You may have to call MS and get a code to finish the install. Worst case just say you had one system to test and now want another system for live.

They just do not want you to make copies and sell it to everyone, they want to be sure it is yours for ONE computer.

sfwdiy
06-01-2010, 2:34 PM
Why are you going the Boot Camp route? Is there something specific you have to do with your machine that requires you to actually boot Windows from the hard drive? If not, virtualization is a vastly superior method. Disk partitioning is never an issue and you really never should have to reinstall anything, just make a backup of your virtual machine.

--B

neilah
06-01-2010, 3:56 PM
Also, as sfwdiy says to use a Mac and virtualization:

Time Machine, Apple's built-in backup utility, will NOT see a windows partook (ala bootcamp) and back it up.

But the virtual disk file for virtualization softwarebit WILL see, and them your 'PC' will get backed up via Time Machine.

command_liner
06-01-2010, 4:23 PM
Use VMWare. It is worth the $40 you will spend on it.
I use it quite often.

Dankle
06-01-2010, 5:08 PM
Another vote for virtualization. :)

bigmike82
06-01-2010, 5:09 PM
You can generall activate Windows a few times on different machines without running into problems. I forget the limit, but I believe it's two or three.

If you have issues the second time, just call MS and tell them you had to reinstall the OS after making an upgrade. They shouldn't give you too much hassle because of it.

Mute
06-01-2010, 5:34 PM
I have never had any problems with activation when I tell the MS rep that I upgraded my hardware. They always give me the activation code immediately without hassle.

Dankle
06-01-2010, 5:35 PM
You can generall activate Windows a few times on different machines without running into problems. I forget the limit, but I believe it's two or three.

If you have issues the second time, just call MS and tell them you had to reinstall the OS after making an upgrade. They shouldn't give you too much hassle because of it.

It has to be more than 4 because I used the same XP disc and key for our 4 office computers after a disgruntled ex employee sabotaged them with no problems at all.

I agree though, if you have any issues call MS and they will give you a new key. :)

pogie45
06-01-2010, 8:25 PM
Link to extending Windows 7 partition or volume:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2670-partition-volume-extend.html

Blackhawk556
06-02-2010, 12:00 AM
It sounds like virtualization is the route to take. From the reviews I've read, it sounds like VMware should be the choice over parallel.

i'm installing windows 7 ultimate as i write this. ill let you guys know how it goes