PDA

View Full Version : Lead Free 7.62X54R

LloydXmas250
05-30-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm probably going to be going out for pig pretty soon in the Tehatchapi area. It's in the Condor Zone and so I'll need lead free ammo and right now my only large caliber rifle is my Mosin. I've scoped it so it's good to go for hunting but now I just need some lead free stuff. I found a site that sells some but the cheapest is $56 for 20 rounds. Not that I'm against paying that, I'd just like to see if anyone else knows of a place to get some, preferably a shop in So Cal. Thanks

ChaparralCommando
05-31-2010, 2:18 PM
See this thread about your exact question from a few months ago.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=253741

about $2 per round is average for lead free hunting cartridges

LloydXmas250
05-31-2010, 2:31 PM
I also heard they did but I vaguely remember looking last time I was there and couldn't find any. I'll have to try again. Thanks for the help.

CSACANNONEER
05-31-2010, 2:39 PM
If you have brass, you can reload it for about $0.75 per round or a bit less.

olhunter
05-31-2010, 3:23 PM
If you have brass, you can reload it for about $0.75 per round or a bit less.

+1 on that. You can even pull the bullets from surplus, put in new powder and seat a lead-free bullet. Find a friend that knows what he's doing with a press and bullet puller. It's easy. And way better than spending $3 a round. If you're hunting a public area, you won't shoot much anyway...lol. Do some research first on powder charges and bullet weights.

lewdogg21
05-31-2010, 4:19 PM
Aimsurplus.com ammoman.com

Try midway, cabelas, basspro too.

LloydXmas250
05-31-2010, 5:15 PM
I do have some brass casings but where would I buy lead free bullets? Also, I'd need to find someone who reloads.

CSACANNONEER
05-31-2010, 5:57 PM
You are a little far from me but, if you want to make the drive, we can load what ever and however many you want. I suggest calling Barnes http://www.barnesbullets.com/ and asking them to recommend a bullet and load data. I can not find any on line or in any of their reloading manuals.

Howie44
05-31-2010, 9:20 PM
I'm probably going to be going out for pig pretty soon in the Tehatchapi area. It's in the Condor Zone and so I'll need lead free ammo and right now my only large caliber rifle is my Mosin. I've scoped it so it's good to go for hunting but now I just need some lead free stuff. I found a site that sells some but the cheapest is $56 for 20 rounds. Not that I'm against paying that, I'd just like to see if anyone else knows of a place to get some, preferably a shop in So Cal. Thanks

Ammo Bros in Ontario usually has some on the shelf. Its where I get mine. Graf brass and 165gr Barnes TSX bullets. Call first. If they don't have a box on the shelf they will roll you one. They work GREAT out of my M39's

LloydXmas250
05-31-2010, 9:55 PM
Ammo Bros in Ontario usually has some on the shelf. Its where I get mine. Graf brass and 165gr Barnes TSX bullets. Call first. If they don't have a box on the shelf they will roll you one. They work GREAT out of my M39's

That's what I was hoping for. I'll probably call tomorrow. If you don't mind me asking, how much for a box of 20?

mif_slim
06-01-2010, 8:01 AM
If you reload, Barnes makes 303 (0.311) bullets in the TSX at 150gr. I've reloaded with 303 and .32acp bullets in my Mosin. But you have to slug your bore first.

I've loaded mines with it and Im getting ~0.90 per round..depending on component cost.

LloydXmas250
06-01-2010, 3:26 PM
Well I got ahold of Ammo Bros and looks like I'll be spending $60 for 20. Looking around online, that's about the same price I've been finding too so it's fine. I'll definitely save the brass though and try to reload them next time. Thanks for all the help.

mif_slim
06-02-2010, 8:22 AM
ouch..

LloydXmas250
06-02-2010, 9:40 AM
Yeah hurts but when I think about it, there's no demand really for lead free 7.62X54R so they're justified in charging it. I've heard Barnes Triple Shock is pretty good stuff though.

Howie44
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah hurts but when I think about it, there's no demand really for lead free 7.62X54R so they're justified in charging it. I've heard Barnes Triple Shock is pretty good stuff though.

What also hurts is having to use some of it to re-zero for the different ammo (2ea, 3 shot groups to do it right= $18). But better to do it than risk missing that in-the-ear shot on a good hog.

mif_slim
06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
lol, thas why u should roll your own. ;)

77bawls
06-02-2010, 6:36 PM
I would go hunting with my mosin, but I would want to put a scope on it. I don't really know a good way to do that.

LloydXmas250
06-02-2010, 8:59 PM
I would go hunting with my mosin, but I would want to put a scope on it. I don't really know a good way to do that.

I did it. There's a mount I bought and it's way sturdy and it's a completely reversible process so I didn't alter the gun. It sits on the rear sight of the mosin and you have to use a long eye relief but I've been pretty consistent with it on there. Now I just have to re-zero which I'm sort of freaking out about. I have had a few zeroing issues with the mosin throwing rounds over the target.

77bawls
06-02-2010, 9:13 PM
Are the long eye relief scopes any good? What's the max range that you are accurate at? Right now I'm having a hard time even getting on paper with the iron sights at 100 yards. Then again the front sight post is too short and comes off by itself.

LloydXmas250
06-02-2010, 9:24 PM
Are the long eye relief scopes any good? What's the max range that you are accurate at? Right now I'm having a hard time even getting on paper with the iron sights at 100 yards. Then again the front sight post is too short and comes off by itself.

I haven't shot any paper past 100 yds with it but just plinking I've hit rocks about a foot wide at 300+ yds with it. Best grouping I've gotten with my scope and surplus junk ammo is a 2 inch group at 100 yds and I'm sure that was with a grip of luck. I've read that the Russians averaged 4-6 moa with iron sights and that's about where I was with iron. These rounds I got are match style rounds so I'm hoping to get a good grouping.

brianinca
06-02-2010, 9:53 PM
I've done 7 different non-lead hunting loads for me an my immediate family, and I have an M44 and an M38. I think the caliber is totally adequate for hogs, but the awkward safety of the M-N series makes me very reluctant to recommend it for a hunting rig.

Hogs are flighty animals, and if I were hunting with an M-N I would be tempted to NOT have the safety engaged and depend on a quick load from the magazine to get a round chambered. Considering the number of hogs I've jumped while hunting deer, and the TINY number of hogs I've mangaed to shoot in the same situation, I'd say that getting a round chambered (as opposed to changing the setting on a safety) is going to screw you out of shooting that hog.

Don't you have ANY rifle you can borrow from someone else? Shucks, I have a 308 Rem 788 with a plastic stock and a $$ USA made Burris FF II 2.5-10x50 in my safes as nothing but a loaner - surely you know some other hunter that can loan you a safer rifle?

if not, I would not put optics on your M-N. I have the REAR sight rail on both rifles, I've played with red dots as well as pistol scopes. For hunting hogs, you want the iron sights. You won't want to be shooting past 100 yards anyway, and the iron sights (assuming you can use them) are more than adequate for that task. Should you want to shoot a hog at 300 yards, you are out of the ethical bounds for hunters.

Regards,
Brian in CA

LloydXmas250
06-03-2010, 9:06 AM
I've used it before as a hunting rig for coyotes. I haven't spooked a coyote by cycling the bolt. Between now and the trip I will most likely be upgrading to a timney trigger for it that has a safety anyway so I'm not worried about that issue. As for the scope, it's a high caliber pistol scope. 4-7X. I'm not expecting a +100 yds shot. Frankly I doubt I would hit one past that on my first try so I won't be trying. If I get one within 100 yds, I have all the confidence I can drop it ethically.

77bawls
06-03-2010, 9:52 AM
You can decock it then cock it when it's time to shoot. I think the mosin is easier to cock then use the safety.

LloydXmas250
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
You can decock it then cock it when it's time to shoot. I think the mosin is easier to cock then use the safety.

There's that too. Forgot about that. Just chamber a round while pulling the trigger, it's decocked, then pull back the hammer and you're good to go. There's something cool about getting something with a rifle like that. Just something I've always wanted to do.

mif_slim
06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
JUst hunt with the M-N if you want to. If safety really is a concern then hunt with a bow, it'll never fire even if you have a "round in the chamber" unless you do your part. :D

Other then that, LloydXmas250 have fun with your hunts and the M-N, let us know how it goes!

joshisazombie
12-12-2011, 10:41 AM
i know this thread is old but i thought i post anyways....

i like that your hunting for pig in the tehachapi mountains. my home town! =] and as far as putting a scope on a mosin there are a few ways you can do it. putting a rail ontop on the rear iron sight brackets is a waste of time. in my opion. all those rails are garbage and dont hold up to the recoil. what i have found the best to do is to remove the rear iron sight completely. there are two pins that you need to punch out. now from what i was told pre-1940 mosin rear iron sights were silver soldered on. i have a 1942 and mine was silver soldered so im not sure if that entirely true. i had to take a propane torch and heat it up till the solder melted. but if its not soldered it should slide right off. underneath the rear iron sight there is a 3/8 dove tail. you will need to put semi perm lock tight on the scope rings cause the recoil causes them to slide off the rail. i found this out trying to zero it in and realized why is wasn't zeroing in lol.. you need to use a pistol scope or a scope with a long eye relief. i also removed the front iron sights cause you have to take it off to get the rings off with out ruining the rings. right now im in the process of "sporterizing" my 91/30. i got a ati stock witch required a lot of sanding to make the barrel sit perfect in the stock. working on trying to place a bipod on it but having a hard with that.the universal barrel mount bipods are trash and dont old up to the recoil. if any one knows how to attach one to the stock please school me on how to do it. thanks

DirtyDave
12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
As for the safety issue, Timney makes a trigger for the Mosin with a real saftey on it. I will be buying a couple for mine and my Dad's Mosins.