PDA

View Full Version : newbie CA Deer tag question

coder44mag
05-30-2010, 5:22 PM
I want to apply for a point only this year, but I also want to hunt zone B1 (unrestricted).

For my 1st Deer Tag Application, do I put down PD (point) as my 1st choice, and B1 as my second choice?

Since the application needs to be in on Wednesday by 5pm, and Monday is a holiday, I assume that mailing it first thing Tuesday from the Bay Area will reach Sacramento via normal mail? Should I do priority mail just in case?

Also, do I just fill out the Elk drawing application and mail it in? Or do I have to purchase that in person from a store, like I do for my 1st Deer Tag app?

ScottB
05-30-2010, 5:52 PM
No, buy the point on the draw tag (1st tag) and get the B1 tag with a second tag over the counter.

At this point, you need to use Fedex next day delivery on Tuesday morning if you absolutely positively don't want to be S.O.L. I would mark it for am delivery

And tape the Fedex reciept to your bedroom mirror to remind you not to dick around until the last minute next year :)

Fireguy
05-30-2010, 6:17 PM
For the Elk tag send the app and a check for $ 7.50 to DFG by the 2nd. Note that the elk tag goes to another address.

lewdogg21
05-30-2010, 7:43 PM
No, buy the point on the draw tag (1st tag) and get the B1 tag with a second tag over the counter.

At this point, you need to use Fedex next day delivery on Tuesday morning if you absolutely positively don't want to be S.O.L. I would mark it for am delivery

And tape the Fedex reciept to your bedroom mirror to remind you not to dick around until the last minute next year :)

You don't need to buy 2 deer tags if you just want 1 and to get a PD and hunt B1. Put PD as your first choice and B1 as your 2nd. If you want 2 tags go for it.

SixPointEight
05-30-2010, 7:47 PM
Is the deadline really that soon? I just did my hunter safety course and have been thinking about trying to go on a deer hunt. Guess I'll have to wait till the year after.

coder44mag
05-30-2010, 7:51 PM
Is the deadline really that soon? I just did my hunter safety course and have been thinking about trying to go on a deer hunt. Guess I'll have to wait till the year after.

You can still go hunting in an unrestricted zone at very least. Check out the Big Game manual on DFG website.

Does anyone know if D5 is any good?

SixPointEight
05-30-2010, 7:55 PM
I'll have to go there. I've gone to all the local stores for the pamphlets and nobody has them

lewdogg21
05-30-2010, 8:24 PM
You can still go hunting in an unrestricted zone at very least. Check out the Big Game manual on DFG website.

Does anyone know if D5 is any good?

I hunt there. Success % runs about 10%. If you can put the time in you can get lucky and learn some areas.

ScottB
05-30-2010, 8:28 PM

If you don't have any points, don't worry about it. Buy your licence (file an affidavit if youo don't have the cert) Get a decent over-the-counter tag and have at it. If you are quick, you can still buy a licence and tag and start building points.

lewdogg21, are you sure you can get the point and the B-tag off the first tag? If so, clearly thats the way to go.

lewdogg21
05-30-2010, 8:30 PM
lewdogg21, are you sure you can get the point and the B-tag off the first tag? If so, clearly thats the way to go.

Yup since I do it every year. You can earn a point with your first choice and then with your 2nd apply for something else. I buy two deer tags b/c I'm shopping with wishful thinking. :D

For the guys reading this who haven't put in yet. You can still get deer tags after June 1st but they can only be for zones that won't sell out in the draw. (no X zones, etc.).

SixPointEight
05-30-2010, 8:30 PM
If you don't have any points, don't worry about it. Buy your licence (file an affidavit if youo don't have the cert) Get a decent over-the-counter tag and have at it. If you are quick, you can still buy a licence and tag and start building points.

If I get my license I can still get a tag? Sorry about the noob questions. DFG website seems confusing, and have nobody in the family who hunts to show me the ropes.

Brd_Hntr
05-30-2010, 8:36 PM
pdf of applications on this page

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/digest/

On first deer tag application: first choice PD, second choice 'B' gets you a point and a B-zone tag. The application must be in Sacramento on June 2nd. Overnight mail.

ScottB
05-30-2010, 8:39 PM
Yes, but the app has to be overnighted on Tuesday latest. The big game booklet is pretty direct, if you can find a copy tomorrow at a sporting goods store. Basically you fill out the app for each species you want to apply for a hunt (just apply for points this year), and overnight on tuesday am to the stated addresses. Deer apps go to a different address that the other big game apps., Remember, no PO boxes for fedex!

jmlivingston
05-30-2010, 9:04 PM
The form is here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg320c_10.pdf

Once you fill it out you can fax it to (916) 419-7586. By the way, this number is listed on the bottom of the form. It's also how I've submitted my app every year for the last 3 or 4 years because I'm too darn lazy to get it mailed off on time.

John

coder44mag
05-30-2010, 10:07 PM
The form is here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg320c_10.pdf

Once you fill it out you can fax it to (916) 419-7586. By the way, this number is listed on the bottom of the form. It's also how I've submitted my app every year for the last 3 or 4 years because I'm too darn lazy to get it mailed off on time.

John

Hey good call on FAXing it instead.

Now I'm confused again.

The 320c form you have linked is what I plan on filling out for a point for all big game points (premium deer/elk/bighorn sheep/antelope). That form has a different address on Market Blvd, than the deer application (a P.O. box).

So why is there 2 addresses? It sounds like mailing the 320c form to Market Blvd will cause the deer application to not reach the License Dept (PO Box) in time...?

I hate California. I bought my Oregon hunting license two months ago and submitted for the elk lottery in eastern Oregon. It took 2 minutes, 100% online.

coder44mag
05-30-2010, 10:10 PM
If I get my license I can still get a tag? Sorry about the noob questions. DFG website seems confusing, and have nobody in the family who hunts to show me the ropes.

I bought a license at Big 5. It's my very first one since I thought I had to buy the license in person due to showing proof of hunter safety.

It turns out you can do everything by mail, even if it's your first time.

But if you already bought your hunting license in person, you have to mail the license in along with this form (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg320c_10.pdf). If you don't have your license, you mail your hunter safety card I believe.

It's not too late to get your point for deer. I plan on doing USPS priority mail on Tuesday morning. If they can't guarantee delivery by Wed 5pm, I'll fax it just like the moderator suggested.

LloydXmas250
05-31-2010, 12:24 AM
If you fax your application do you just copy your license or hunter safety cert? Also, if I can't find my hunt cert, can I just show my expired license to prove I have one? Thanks

jmlivingston
05-31-2010, 6:28 AM
If you fax your application do you just copy your license or hunter safety cert? Also, if I can't find my hunt cert, can I just show my expired license to prove I have one? Thanks

Yes and Yes. see later response

coder44mag
05-31-2010, 1:06 PM
Do you guys usually do the all-in-one form and mail it to Market Blvd, as stated in this form (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg320c_10.pdf) ?

The instructions for deer and elk applications are different, as they tell you to mail deer applications to PO Box 349020 and Elk applications to PO Box 349021.

lewdogg21
05-31-2010, 3:41 PM

In order to apply for the draw you need to have a current license for 2010/2011.

At least that's what I've always read. I've never tried to apply with an expired license. I want to say I've read that a current license for 2010/2011 is a must.

lewdogg21
05-31-2010, 3:44 PM
Do you guys usually do the all-in-one form and mail it to Market Blvd, as stated in this form (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg320c_10.pdf) ?

The instructions for deer and elk applications are different, as they tell you to mail deer applications to PO Box 349020 and Elk applications to PO Box 349021.

In regards to Deer and Elk it's probably due to all Elk hunts are special draw (Same as sheep and antelope). Deer can be special Draw or plain old "over the counter" tags like D3-5.

What's sorta funny is on the back of my bear tag application I couldn't find an address to send it in so I just sent it with my deer tags. My bear tag application was not as long as deer so I'm wondering if the agent I bought it from tore off a part that I was supposed to get. However the back of the bear tag read complete so I'm not sure what the deal was.

In closing I'm good at applying but poor in killing deer. I think guys like Pieeater do that real well. :D

jmlivingston
05-31-2010, 3:55 PM
I initially read your question as it relates to the Hunter Safety requirement, however the answer you're looking for may be different than what I gave. So let me expound on it a bit

To satisfy the Hunter Safety requirement you may fax/mail a copy of your Hunter Safety certificate, a copy of a CA Hunters License, or a copy of the affidavit.

In regards to the Hunting License when applying for a deer tag via mail/fax you have several different options.

Via mail or fax: you can also purchase a hunting license for the current year.
Via mail only: if you are not purchasing a hunting license you must enclose your current year license so that it can be updated to include the ID number of your deer tag.
Via fax only: you must purchase your hunting license with the tag application, since you obviously can't send your original license via fax.

For more information on this see Page 2, Section 2 of the DFG form I previously linked to.

Personally, I always get my license, deer tag, and bear tag via fax. One of the small benefits of doing it this way is that 1) I save a few dollars by not paying the fee that goes to the reseller and 2) I get a confirmation with date/time of whether the fax was successfully sent or not.

John

jmlivingston
05-31-2010, 3:59 PM
In closing I'm good at applying but poor in killing deer.

Me too! I've been deer hunting three or four of the last five years and have yet to take my first shot. For the first time I'm actually getting a 2nd Deer Tag, I've got a feeling that this will finally be year!

Tomorrow I'm faxing my app in, it looks like this:

1st tag: X9b, X9c, X9a
2nd tag: D8, D15, no 3rd choice.

Bear tag: yes

coder44mag
05-31-2010, 4:38 PM
Via mail or fax: you can also purchase a hunting license for the current year.
Via mail only: if you are not purchasing a hunting license you must enclose your current year license so that it can be updated to include the ID number of your deer tag.
Via fax only: you must purchase your hunting license with the tag application, since you obviously can't send your original license via fax.

For more information on this see Page 2, Section 2 of the DFG form I previously linked to.

Regarding point 3, they won't accept a faxed copy of my 2010 hunting license? I will trying calling them tomorrow morning to check on that.

jmlivingston
05-31-2010, 4:39 PM
No, because the issuer of the tag has to fill in the tag number on the license.

lewdogg21
05-31-2010, 5:17 PM
Me too! I've been deer hunting three or four of the last five years and have yet to take my first shot. For the first time I'm actually getting a 2nd Deer Tag, I've got a feeling that this will finally be year!

Tomorrow I'm faxing my app in, it looks like this:

1st tag: X9b, X9c, X9a
2nd tag: D8, D15, no 3rd choice.

Bear tag: yes

Ah, another dreamer, errrr sucker like me! I guess it's up to me in how much I get up there to scout and then hunt. I screwed up and got married during bow season. My Dad advised me for a spring wedding but the wife picked a date and I thought it would be good. Then I started bow hunting... lol. Oh well.

I'm PD, D3-5 (2x tags) and a bear tag. If I draw the Grizzly Island Bull it's 6 point wall mounter or nothing.

Fishseeker
05-31-2010, 8:25 PM
Hunted D5 for 12 years it can be a very good zone if you put your time in and learn the areas to hunt or not to hunt, spend time to locate the deer and leanr there patterns for escape routes, get to them before light on hunting days pick your stand and stay put there are so many hunters in D5 they will push the deer to you, 5 of 7 deer taken from this zone were takin that way.