PDA

View Full Version : Time for residence?

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Just a general question (eventually related to guns). How long do you have to live somewhere to be counted as a resident? specifically, how long would I have to go to UCM and live in Merced to count as a resident of that county? I ask because from what I know, it would be a hell of alot easier to get a CCW in Merced than in Santa Clara....

shopkeep
03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Just a general question (eventually related to guns). How long do you have to live somewhere to be counted as a resident? specifically, how long would I have to go to UCM and live in Merced to count as a resident of that county? I ask because from what I know, it would be a hell of alot easier to get a CCW in Merced than in Santa Clara....

Usually 1 year for most counties in terms of CCWs.

gmcem50
03-21-2006, 1:17 PM
For the purposes of registering a vehicle, the CA DMV says 6 months + 1 day.

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 1:24 PM
ok, thanks guys. So looks like next year Ill be trying to get a CCW then...so.....SIG, GLock, or HK :D

seriously though, what would you guys recomend, both as a range gun and as a carry gun? Im a big guy (6' 1", 220 lbs), so fullsize could be possible....

EDIT: I would like something in .40 SW, but .45 or 9mm is ok to...

gmcem50
03-21-2006, 1:46 PM
Alright; another chance to start a Glock love/hate flame war!:D

Just kidding. Shoot them all. You'll figure out which one works best for you if you spend lots of time handling them all. I prefer the dreaded Glock.

taloft
03-21-2006, 2:08 PM
Whatever you choose, if it is going to be carried IWB holster, make sure it is compact and dehorned. Nothing quite like having a sharp metal object poke you in the kidney all day to change your ccw choice.:) YMMV

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 2:21 PM
I like the glock as well, but I have shot the others yet (thats for next week)

EBWhite
03-21-2006, 2:26 PM
if you want a larger gun, recommend a custom 1911 in .45 or a xd in .40

for everyday carry or when you want to go light, you cannot beat the look, feel and construction of a seecamp. 32...awsome little gun!!!

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 2:41 PM
bah, im a student, cant afford a custom gun.

ALTSEC972
03-21-2006, 2:42 PM
I like all of the brands you listed..... and I LOVE my USP.... but consider the P2000 for CCW, since it is smaller, and especially since all of the protruding features have been minimized on the P2000 (No large hammer sticking you in the gut, or large decocking safety, etc.)... Taloft made a very valid point about that.

+1 on the XD as well, and if ur considering glock and sig, it has alot of the features of both, and then some..... (not to mention the clean shape, and no protruding parts to stick in your ribcage)

yiha
03-21-2006, 2:59 PM
not to derail this topic, but how old are you?
i remember you voted "18" in the age-poll..

Brass Balls
03-21-2006, 3:15 PM
There isn't a state law that mandates that you reside in an area for a certain period of time before you can apply for or receive a CCW permit.

If one already has a CCW permit and moves from the jurisdiction of the issuing agency they must notify the issuing agency with 10 days of their move and their carry permit will only be valid 90 days after the move.

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 3:22 PM
hehe, I AM 18 :D

yiha
03-21-2006, 5:49 PM
are you aware of the fact that you must be 21 to buy a handgun, and you must be 21 to get a CCW? :eek:

Jeff Rambo
03-21-2006, 6:00 PM
yiha,

Actually there are counties within California that issue CCWs to those 18+ and on a shall issue basis at that. I forget which, but if I remember later tonight I will look it up once I get back in front on the computer. I do not believe it was Merced though, so Panzer may be out of look for roughly two to three more years.

Also, yes... while you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL, you can legally own one at 18-20 years old if ownership was legally transferred to you via Operation of Law in California. I owned my first handgun (H&K USP .45 Compact) in the Great State of California at the ripe young age of 18. Other states also allow you to privately purchase from individuals at 18+, thus if you were to have purchased a handgun in another state when residing there and then moved to California, you would also have lawful possession and ownership of said handgun.

yiha
03-21-2006, 6:11 PM
wow, i had absolutely no idea that that was the rules.

I only said what i said because i checked packing.org and on the california page it says "Permit/License age minimum: 21"
http://www.packing.org/state/california/

I stand Corrected with a capital "C"

yiha
03-21-2006, 6:27 PM
ok, so from reading a bit on packing.org i think some of the places that issue CCW's to 18+ yr olds are Humbolt and Sutter County. maybe more, but these are the only ones i could find.

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 7:24 PM
well, I emailed the Sheriffs dept about it, so ill let you guys know soon.

PanzerAce
03-22-2006, 9:03 AM
Ok, looks like Merced follows the 21+ rule >_<

ah well, I guess Ill wait awhile and just build up my ARs.