PDA

View Full Version : School clubs, corporation/trust, and guns.

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 1:25 PM
Ok, so as some of you know, UC Merced is starting a shooting club, and we have hit a snag. The problem is that none of us are quite sure if there is any way for the club itself to own the firearms. I know that corporations/trusts can be setup, and you can have a firearm in the name of said entity, but what is the legality of trying to get a UC club declared as one? Thanks for the info guys.

ohsmily
03-21-2006, 1:50 PM
You are focusing on the wrong thing and making this much harder than it needs to be for you.

The club doesn't need to own guns.

The UCSD shooting club has members like myself (who have many many many guns) and others provide the firearms. Also, you can get funding to hold shooting events at local shooting ranges and rent firearms.

It is unnecessary to have the club own the guns. It will cause many tough questions to be asked..."where will they be stored", "who will be responsible for them", "how will they be stored legally", "will they be insured", "will a university allow a school-sanctioned and funded club own guns in its name". Also, at least at UCSD, the funding board will NOT provide funding for permanently owned equipment for school clubs.

When I and a couple others started the UCSD shooting club, the UC PD agreed to store guns in its armory for us. That lasted like 2 months b/c the commander said there was too much liability for doing that AND, there was no effective way to check the guns in and out whenever we needed them.

If you have questions about UC student clubs and running a student organization, PM me. I was the chairman of 3 orgs while I was at UCSD and a principal member of a few other clubs. I would imagine that the student organization structure is similar between UCSD and UC Merced.

ghettoshecky
03-21-2006, 2:03 PM
Hey ohsmilly,
I go to UCSD too and I've signed up with you guys two times and I never get any e-mails. Where are you and when the heck do u guys meet? I've seen u guys once at the CR meetings. I guess I'll see you around campus.

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 2:04 PM
The problem is that we want there to be a ready supply of firearms that people can use, and if all of them are privatly owned, that doesnt work. and as for the quoted questions:
1) the safe would be in the PD (we already have been told by UCMPD that we could do this, hell, alot of the officers are helping us)
2) The club is entirely responsible for the maintnence of them (assuming thats what you are asking about)
3) Locked in the safe, only 3 officers have the combo/key, with either a mag lock or a trigger lock in place
4) Good question, we havent thought of that one yet
5) Unknown for sure. However, considering that the administration and PD have been very helpful so far....*shrugs*

as for checking guns in and out, there will be an official log book noting which officer checked out what guns, and when they were returned to the safe.

as for running the club, thats not my job, I just look for info for the officers :D

Wumpscut223
03-21-2006, 2:44 PM
Thats a cool club man. I hope you will have incentives for lovely college women to join in. Will there be provisions for non UC students to attend events?

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 3:20 PM
AFAIK, no non students/faculty will be allowed to attend events to start with. however, when we do comps against other groups, then the org that does that stuff will decide.

But as for all of us going to the range with some Class III stuff that one of the LEOs on campus has (he is one of the guys helping us setup), that is only UCM people :D

Bling Bling 2.0
03-21-2006, 4:02 PM
Pretty cool idea. You can call your club the "School of Glock".

I know when I was at UCSC I was the gun guy; I used to take loads of people shooting at Laguna Seca in Monterey. One of my friends did a whole photo essay on my guns and shooting.

Good luck.

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 4:21 PM
School of Glock?

um.....I dont think we want to be associated with anything that might KB on us :D

but seriously, we are officialy the "Sport Shooting Club" so as to offend as few people as possible.

ldivinag
03-21-2006, 4:46 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL...

remember, a small thing called a state law that says no firearms are allowed within 1000 of any state buildings, schools, etc, unless OKAYED by the head of the institution.

while the PD office is okay with this, someone might start complaining and the president of the univ will be the final call...

but good luck on your starting your club...

ohsmily
03-21-2006, 5:11 PM
Hey ohsmilly,
I go to UCSD too and I've signed up with you guys two times and I never get any e-mails. Where are you and when the heck do u guys meet? I've seen u guys once at the CR meetings. I guess I'll see you around campus.

Who did you sign up with? Who did you speak to? I doubt you signed up with me b/c I graduated in SP 05. And if you didn't sign up with my fiance Missy(who currently runs the club), then it is unlikely someone with access to the email listserver "signed you up". PM me with your name, year, and email and I will personally add you to the listserver (over 500 people on that list btw).

ohsmily
03-21-2006, 5:12 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL...

remember, a small thing called a state law that says no firearms are allowed within 1000 of any state buildings, schools, etc, unless OKAYED by the head of the institution.

while the PD office is okay with this, someone might start complaining and the president of the univ will be the final call...

This is correct. You need permission from the chancellor. I would look into it...BUT, if the PD is communicating and working with you, then the urgency is diminished.

Jarhead4
03-21-2006, 5:18 PM
I have shot with the San Jose Zouaves. That club owns itís own guns. You could contact them and find out what you would need to do. Their web site is:
http://www.zouaves.org/

I hope that helps!!!

PanzerAce
03-21-2006, 5:52 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL...

we know. In fact, thats why we talked with the chancellor before the PD. And we were told that when we got a constitution written up and everything, it would be approved.

ldivinag
03-21-2006, 7:23 PM
lemme go dig a up a yearbook from cal state hayward from the 50s/60s where a page is of the "pistol and rifle club"...

maybe i outta restart it here... i do have precedence...

but then again, our PD's chief is the wife of the oakland PD chief. and our president is retiring this year. i knew i shoulda been on that selection committee...

wksun88
03-27-2007, 9:56 AM
does anybody still run a shooting club at UCSD? I'm curious because I searched on tritonlink and couldn't find any. I'd like to join one :)

megavolt121
03-27-2007, 10:29 AM
we know. In fact, thats why we talked with the chancellor before the PD. And we were told that when we got a constitution written up and everything, it would be approved.

If you guys are in good standing with the Chancellor, try to get it in writing that the club is allowed on campus indefinitely or something along those lines. It is hard to build up a club (I've built up clubs @ UCSC), especially a firearms one. You want to make sure you will be grandfathered in so any future chancellors can't try to disban you for whatever reason, and more importantly, when the hippies start arriving they can't do anything about it.

If UCM(it feels weird saying that) is setup like UCSC with the student groups, than legally speaking, you're group only exists within UCM. For example, at UCSC, all student organizations are just a part of the SOAR office, which in turn is part of UCSC. Legally speaking my organization never existed on the books anywhere outside of UCSC. I believe if you want your UCM shooting club to own firearms, you will have to setup an independent group unless you would want the UC system to own your firearms.

DedEye
03-27-2007, 4:40 PM
Tagging this thread for later; I'm trying to start a Marksmanship team/Shooting Club at UCSB, but it would just use privately owned firearms most likely.

DedEye
03-27-2007, 4:42 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL...

According to a couple UCPD officers I spoke with, that 1000 foot law only applies to K-12 institutions, not universities.

They also said it was a felony to transport firearms (even legally unloaded/locked etc) on public roads that crossed through a UC campus...