PDA

View Full Version : Kern County CCW Application

DRSFEFA
03-21-2006, 6:44 AM
I have made the move out of LA county to Kern county. I am filling out my CCW application. I would like suggestions on what to put for the "reason for permit" page. I have seen very useful comments in the past and would welcome any help.
In addition to the standard "for lawful self defense" line, I am also a victim of a violent home invasion in 1995. The main criminal was paroled last year and has been already been arrested TWICE for violating the 35 mile exclusion from the Antelope Valley. Should I include this in the reason?

Thanks in advance for any help.

blacklisted
03-21-2006, 12:56 PM
I have heard that "frequent shooter" often works (carrying guns and ammunition frequently to and from the range / public land.

You might want to ask tenpercentfirearms, he's in Kern County.

Pablo
03-21-2006, 1:25 PM
You can also add to you eat at Denny's very often! That will be a very good reason in my book! :D

yiha
03-21-2006, 2:08 PM
http://www.equalccw.com/dennisgc.html

gmcem50
03-21-2006, 2:16 PM

Wow, TONS of useful info there!

Smokeybehr
03-21-2006, 5:18 PM
Heck, I could have used the Doctor's example for when I was working as a pharmaceutical courier. I carried thousands of dollars worth of listed narcotics on a regular basis.

I'm going to modify one of the letters to say something about "transporting negotiable documents" and other high-value items, and see where it gets me.

DRSFEFA
03-21-2006, 8:15 PM

The email address for Dennis didn't work!

Justang
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Kern County is a shall issue county. I have my CCW in Kern.

Tell them:

You are an avid shooter and transport your guns and ammo which could make you a target for the criminal element.

Your hobbies take you far from law enforcement and you would like to carry a firearm for protection.

I told them, for my profession, I had medically controlled devices that would make me a target. I also included my professional license (which I think really helped.)

Supernam
03-22-2006, 3:40 AM
You can say almost anything in Kern County. I'm away at college right now, but after I graduate next year and go back home to Bakersfield, I'm going to apply. I think I'm going to say that I do alot of traveling to Northern California and oftentimes find myself at remote locations in the central valley filling up on gas at night. Travelers are often easy targets for criminals since they are not familier with the surrounding areas whether they are good or bad territory.

Justang
03-22-2006, 7:33 AM
You can say almost anything in Kern County. I'm away at college right now, but after I graduate next year and go back home to Bakersfield, I'm going to apply. I think I'm going to say that I do alot of traveling to Northern California and oftentimes find myself at remote locations in the central valley filling up on gas at night. Travelers are often easy targets for criminals since they are not familier with the surrounding areas whether they are good or bad territory.

I hear OC is pretty easy too.

DRSFEFA
03-22-2006, 9:11 AM
I appreciate all the replies! Keep them coming. I will be talking to the CCW instructor at my LGS today also. I'm not rushing into this one I want to get it right the first time. Plus I have to wait for some utility bills to come so I have proof of residency.

marklbucla
03-22-2006, 9:37 AM
Just don't forget to provide documentation for stuff you say. Like an other poster provided his license, or if you're going to say Avid Shooter, get a note from your rangemaster.

And yeah, OC was kinda easy. Well, if you think easy is $200, waiting 2 months, getting fingerprinted, and having an interview.

Diabolus
03-22-2006, 8:48 PM
I live in Santa Monica and work at a store in Bakersfield periodically that handles large amounts of cash. From everything I have read on here and websites, it states that I must be a resident of that county. Is there anyway to receive a special permit if I do not reside in that county?

I came across this in the California Firearms Law of 2005:

A license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the
person may be granted by the sheriff of a county to an applicant who spends a substantial
amount of time employed within that county. Such a license is valid only in the county
issued and is valid for any period of time not to exceed 90 days from the date of issuance.
(Penal Code § 12050.)

For those of you that have more experience in these matters, could you please chime in?

Thanks